Police investigate 'unsubstantiated threat' at Forest Grove High School
Forest Grove High School administrators kept classes and lunches inside the building Monday afternoon and increased monitoring of exterior doors after a parent reported an unsubstantiated threat against the school, school officials said.
A district parent forwarded News in the Grove a ParentSquare message Forest Grove High School Principal Brian Burke sent to district families Monday outlining the incident and the school's response.
“Today, a parent reported a yet to be substantiated report of a threat that her student became aware of from an unknown source,” Burke said. “We treat these situations seriously and contacted law enforcement immediately so they can investigate.”
Burke said school administrators and police were investigating the situation.
“Though unsubstantiated, we have increased our outside and exterior door monitoring, and have classes and lunches staying inside,” Burke said.
Sgt. Andrew Colasurdo, a Forest Grove Police Department spokesperson, confirmed the investigation in an email to News in the Grove Monday afternoon.
“Police are aware and investigating. At this time the claims have been determined to be unsubstantiated,” Colasurdo said just after 2 p.m. “Police will continue to work with the school administration to ensure the safety of students and staff.”
Burke urged families to encourage students with information about the threat to share it with school administration, and discouraged sharing rumors on social media.
“Forwarding or reposting rumors on social media only perpetuates the problem and makes the investigation more difficult,” Burke said.
"Students can always report tips anonymously to SafeOregon if they are uncomfortable reporting to administration or authorities," Burke said in an email to News in the Grove. "Those reports go to our administrative team and the local authorities," he said.
Monday's incident is the second known threat at Forest Grove High School this school year. In November 2025, Burke notified families that the school had been made aware of a “hit list” containing the names of 43 Forest Grove High School students and Forest Grove School District staff members.
In an update issued Dec. 5, 2025, Burke said students who may have been involved in the hit list would not be allowed to return to school in person until the police investigation was complete, or until police cleared them.
Burke said in Monday's email the school would update families and staff as the police investigation continues.
This is a developing story. Updates may be added to this story as they become confirmed.
Read the full letter from Principal Brian Burke
Dear FGHS Families,
Today, a parent reported a yet to be substantiated report of a threat that her student became aware of from an unknown source. We treat these situations seriously and contacted law enforcement immediately so they can investigate. Reports like this can understandably cause concern.
Though unsubstantiated, we have increased our outside and exterior door monitoring, and have classes and lunches staying inside.
School administrators and police are investigating the situation to ensure everyone is safe. If your student has specific information about hearing or seeing any information on the threat, please encourage them to report the information to school administration to assist with the investigation. Speaking directly with school administration or law enforcement is the correct way to respond to rumors of this nature. Forwarding or reposting rumors on social media only perpetuates the problem and makes the investigation more difficult. We are very grateful to the parent who brought this to our attention.
We will notify families and staff with any updates we have from the police.
Sincerely, Brian Burke
Estimadas familias de FGHS:
Hoy, un padre de familia reportó una amenaza aún no confirmada de la que su estudiante tuvo conocimiento a través de una fuente desconocida. Tomamos estas situaciones con seriedad y hemos contactado a las autoridades para que puedan investigarla. Informes como este pueden, comprensiblemente, causar preocupación.
Aunque la amenaza no ha sido confirmada, hemos incrementado la supervisión en las áreas exteriores y en las puertas de acceso, y las clases y almuerzos permanecerán dentro del edificio.
Los administradores escolares y la policía están investigando la situación para garantizar la seguridad de todos. Si su estudiante tiene información específica sobre quién pudo haber hecho la amenaza, por favor anímalo a reportarla a la administración escolar para ayudar con la investigación. Hablar directamente con la administración escolar o con las autoridades es la manera correcta de responder a rumores de esta naturaleza. Compartir o reenviar rumores en redes sociales solo perpetúa el problema y dificulta la investigación. Estamos muy agradecidos con el padre de familia que nos informó sobre esta situación.
Notificaremos a las familias y al personal sobre cualquier actualización que tengamos.
Discussion in the ATmosphere