External Publication
Visit Post

Fury after Yves Sakila dies after ‘being pinned down by Dublin shop security’

Metro – Metro.co.uk: News, Sport, Showbiz, Celebrities from Met… May 20, 2026
Source

To view this video please enable JavaScript, and consider upgrading to a web browser that supports HTML5 video

Up Next

Previous Page

Next Page

A man died after being restrained by security guards outside a Dublin shopping centre in a case with echoes of the killing of George Floyd.

Yves Sakila was pronounced dead in hospital after being held on the ground outside a busy shopping district, last Friday.

Mr Sakila, who lived in Ireland for 22 years, was detained by security outside the entrance of Arnotts on Friday afternoon on suspicion of stealing bottles of perfume from the department store.

Police briefly handcuffed the 35-year-old Congolese national as they tended to a pensioner who was also injured in the alleged shoplifting.

A five-minute video clip seen by Metro shows Mr Sakila being held down by around five people, showing the moment they realise he wasn’t breathing. Mr Sakila died in hospital shortly after.

The clip has been shared widely online, and has been described as ‘deeply disturbing’, sparking concern among minority communities.

Sign up for all of the latest stories

Start your day informed with Metro's News Updates newsletter or get Breaking News alerts the moment it happens.

At one point, a security guard can be seen putting his knee on the back of his head, forcing his face into the floor.

Mothers with babies in prams watch on as he screams out but his head is pinned to the ground in the busy shopping area.

After more than three minutes, he appears unresponsive and the security guards let go. One of the guards puts Mr Sakila’s hood up and appears shaky as he makes a phone call.

Dozens of people gathered at noon on Tuesday, laying flowers and red roses along the busy shopping street.

Yves Sakila died in hospital on Friday (Picture: Social media)

Chants of ‘Justice for Yves’ and ‘no more violence’ were heard, while some held signs reading ‘Black lives matter here too’.

Gardaí said the man had been detained in connection with alleged shoplifting shortly after 5pm, before becoming unresponsive. He later died in hospital.

The Garda Ombudsman (Fiosrú) is now examining the incident after it was referred by officers.

Arnotts said it was ‘deeply saddened’ by Mr Sakila’s death and confirmed it is co-operating with the investigation, as well as carrying out a review with its contracted security firm.

Ireland’s Taoiseach Micheál Martin offered his sympathies, saying the case must be ‘thoroughly investigated’.

‘I don’t want to prejudice the outcome,’ he said, ‘but people are clearly very concerned about what has transpired.’

At the vigil, members of the public spoke of their shock.

Chris Kibiadi said: ‘It’s not all about the colour. This could happen to anybody.’

To view this video please enable JavaScript, and consider upgrading to a web browser that supports HTML5 video

Up Next

Previous Page

Next Page

A woman named Lolo described the death as ‘painful’, adding that gardaí should have been called.

John Kabongo told the crowd his children were left frightened after seeing the footage.

‘They asked me, “Is this really happening in Ireland?” I didn’t know how to explain it,’ he said.

Community representatives also called for answers, with Walter Kabangu of the Congolese Chamber of Commerce Ireland saying he was ‘shocked and saddened’.

‘As a community, we demand justice,’ he said.

The Irish Network Against Racism (INAR) said it was ‘extremely disturbed’ and urged a full investigation to maintain trust in the justice system.

Arnotts added: ‘No loss of life should ever be the outcome of a retail security incident.’

The investigation is ongoing.

Comment now Comments Add Metro as a Preferred Source on Google Add as preferred source

Discussion in the ATmosphere

Loading comments...