{
"$type": "site.standard.document",
"bskyPostRef": {
"cid": "bafyreicfo5i37wy3fcw5yj7p7bqgr2rieivk2shypg4xbf2fwud5bprr6u",
"uri": "at://did:plc:b7afdzqsmwksxypciqnplglk/app.bsky.feed.post/3mmcou2ixk2y2"
},
"coverImage": {
"$type": "blob",
"ref": {
"$link": "bafkreichflnmo3sz4wdjav2xpnvcfxownlpbiawiobum2km3i2ujvj7b2a"
},
"mimeType": "image/jpeg",
"size": 89919
},
"path": "/2026/05/20/fury-yves-sakila-dies-being-pinned-dublin-shop-security-28452867/",
"publishedAt": "2026-05-20T18:29:39.000Z",
"site": "https://metro.co.uk",
"tags": [
"News",
"World",
"Dublin",
"Republic of Ireland",
"supports HTML5\n\t\t\t\t\t\t\t\tvideo",
"News Updates",
"Breaking News",
"phone",
"Racism",
"Add Metro as a Preferred Source on Google\nAdd as preferred source"
],
"textContent": "To view this video please enable JavaScript, and consider upgrading to a web browser that supports HTML5\n\t\t\t\t\t\t\t\tvideo\n\nUp Next\n\nPrevious Page\n\nNext Page\n\nA man died after being restrained by security guards outside a Dublin shopping centre in a case with echoes of the killing of George Floyd.\n\nYves Sakila was pronounced dead in hospital after being held on the ground outside a busy shopping district, last Friday.\n\nMr Sakila, who lived in Ireland for 22 years, was detained by security outside the entrance of Arnotts on Friday afternoon on suspicion of stealing bottles of perfume from the department store.\n\nPolice briefly handcuffed the 35-year-old Congolese national as they tended to a pensioner who was also injured in the alleged shoplifting.\n\nA five-minute video clip seen by **Metro** shows Mr Sakila being held down by around five people, showing the moment they realise he wasn’t breathing. Mr Sakila died in hospital shortly after.\n\nThe clip has been shared widely online, and has been described as ‘deeply disturbing’, sparking concern among minority communities.\n\n## Sign up for all of the latest stories\n\nStart your day informed with Metro's **News Updates** newsletter or get **Breaking News** alerts the moment it happens.\n\nAt one point, a security guard can be seen putting his knee on the back of his head, forcing his face into the floor.\n\nMothers with babies in prams watch on as he screams out but his head is pinned to the ground in the busy shopping area.\n\nAfter more than three minutes, he appears unresponsive and the security guards let go. One of the guards puts Mr Sakila’s hood up and appears shaky as he makes a phone call.\n\nDozens of people gathered at noon on Tuesday, laying flowers and red roses along the busy shopping street.\n\nYves Sakila died in hospital on Friday (Picture: Social media)\n\nChants of ‘Justice for Yves’ and ‘no more violence’ were heard, while some held signs reading ‘Black lives matter here too’.\n\nGardaí said the man had been detained in connection with alleged shoplifting shortly after 5pm, before becoming unresponsive. He later died in hospital.\n\nThe Garda Ombudsman (Fiosrú) is now examining the incident after it was referred by officers.\n\nArnotts said it was ‘deeply saddened’ by Mr Sakila’s death and confirmed it is co-operating with the investigation, as well as carrying out a review with its contracted security firm.\n\nIreland’s Taoiseach Micheál Martin offered his sympathies, saying the case must be ‘thoroughly investigated’.\n\n‘I don’t want to prejudice the outcome,’ he said, ‘but people are clearly very concerned about what has transpired.’\n\nAt the vigil, members of the public spoke of their shock.\n\nChris Kibiadi said: ‘It’s not all about the colour. This could happen to anybody.’\n\nTo view this video please enable JavaScript, and consider upgrading to a web browser that supports HTML5\n\t\t\t\t\t\t\t\tvideo\n\nUp Next\n\nPrevious Page\n\nNext Page\n\nA woman named Lolo described the death as ‘painful’, adding that gardaí should have been called.\n\nJohn Kabongo told the crowd his children were left frightened after seeing the footage.\n\n‘They asked me, “Is this really happening in Ireland?” I didn’t know how to explain it,’ he said.\n\nCommunity representatives also called for answers, with Walter Kabangu of the Congolese Chamber of Commerce Ireland saying he was ‘shocked and saddened’.\n\n‘As a community, we demand justice,’ he said.\n\nThe Irish Network Against Racism (INAR) said it was ‘extremely disturbed’ and urged a full investigation to maintain trust in the justice system.\n\nArnotts added: ‘No loss of life should ever be the outcome of a retail security incident.’\n\nThe investigation is ongoing.\n\nComment now Comments \nAdd Metro as a Preferred Source on Google\nAdd as preferred source\n",
"title": "Fury after Yves Sakila dies after ‘being pinned down by Dublin shop security’"
}