{
  "$type": "site.standard.document",
  "bskyPostRef": {
    "cid": "bafyreib3oo7pcpp3ycaczf7kqgiq6dz3fudi454vq6zf4ucl3j4l43omfi",
    "uri": "at://did:plc:uiwddrbttqbejhbigjksg2af/app.bsky.feed.post/3mf23w5cixlu2"
  },
  "coverImage": {
    "$type": "blob",
    "ref": {
      "$link": "bafkreigiey65bwfpvw5ygl2haib3wlyfkurrk6vtcgqmz53cwtv6vdgbhi"
    },
    "mimeType": "image/jpeg",
    "size": 63003
  },
  "description": "It follows the death of De Montfort University (DMU) student Kahleed Oladipo  ",
  "path": "/police-communication-following-stabbing-rumour-mill/",
  "publishedAt": "2026-02-17T08:00:12.000Z",
  "site": "https://www.leicester.news",
  "tags": [
    "****Leicester Gazette****",
    "Learn more",
    "__Click here for membership__",
    "__Click here for membership__"
  ],
  "textContent": "\n\nThis story was written by the ****local democracy reporting service (LDRS),**** a BBC-funded scheme to improve the coverage of issues relating to local democracy. The ****Leicester Gazette**** has been a partner in the scheme since March 2024, and so receives some stories as part of it.\n\n Learn more \n\nA Leicester MP has called for better police communication after the “rumour mill” filled hours of silence following a fatal stabbing in the city last week.\n\nPolice were called to Oxford Street on 3 February after 20-year-old DMU student Kahleed Oladipo collapsed after sustaining stab wounds. He was taken to Leicester Royal Infirmary but died shortly after.\n\nCordons and road closures were put in place the same night, but Leicestershire Police did not confirm the nature of the incident nor announce that any arrests had been made until around 11am the following morning, Wednesday 4 February.\n\nMP for Leicester South, Shockat Adam, said this “lack of communication” in the hours following the incident meant “unhelpful” speculation took hold, with some X users “utilising a tragedy to politicise” and blame minorities for the stabbing.\n\nHe said: “The police haven’t caught up with social media. They have to plan for this. They could have communicated more frequently.\n\n“The lack of communication creates a vacuum which gets filled up with the rumour mill.\n\n“They’re not taking into account that with social media, if they don’t say anything, other people will.”\n\nLeicestershire Police said they were aware of the distress caused by the incident and posted updates on social media as soon as all the required protocols had been completed.\n\nA spokesperson for the force said: “The force understands that this incident has caused significant concern to those living in the surrounding area and the wider community.\n\n## Be part of the story\n\nJoin our free mailing list to get local news and tips in your inbox every week.\n\nSubscribe for free\n\nEmail sent! Check your inbox to complete your signup.\n\n__No spam. Unsubscribe anytime. Want to support our work?____Click here for membership__ __.__\n\n“Following the report being received, emergency services were deployed and a scene preservation was put in place to secure any evidence and allow the investigation to begin.\n\n“Notification of the road closures were publicised on the force’s social media channels.\n\n“During this period, enquiries were also undertaken to locate the deceased’s next of kin and allow time for specially trained officers to notify them of what had happened. This is in line with the force’s victim-first approach to such incidents.\n\n“Information about the incident was publicised to the force’s website and social media channels once all necessary processes had been undertaken.”\n\nThe news of the stabbing comes after DMU became the UK’s first Safer Knife Campus, which involved replacing sharp kitchen knives with round-tipped ones.\n\nIn light of last week’s fatal stabbing, Adam said he will expedite his work on improving city centre safety.\n\nAs well as campaigning for a national department for knife crime, Adam said the cultural, social, and educational roots for knife crime must be tackled.\n\nProviding funding to voluntary grassroots organisations who work to stop knife crime in Leicester must be a priority, he added.\n\nHarper Dennis, of North Road, West Drayton, London, has been charged with the murder of Khaleed Oladipo and another count of possession of an offensive weapon in a public place.\n\nThe 18-year-old appeared before Leicester Magistrates’ court on Saturday 7 February.\n\n****If you enjoyed this article and want more great local journalism, here’s how to get it.****\n\nWe publish investigations, news features and human interest stories that go beyond the headlines. Our journalism is fact-based and rigorous, and we prize good writing over clickbait and sensationalism.\n\nOur readers get all our stories directly in their inbox every Monday morning via our free weekly newsletter. ****Use that button below to sign up for free.****\n\n__No spam. Unsubscribe anytime. Want to support our work?____Click here for membership__ __.__\n\nSubscribe for free",
  "title": "MP calls for better police communication following stabbing ‘rumour mill’",
  "updatedAt": "2026-02-17T08:00:12.000Z"
}