{
"$type": "site.standard.document",
"bskyPostRef": {
"cid": "bafyreigxsyadtwenqxrp7t3lomdp6urjkauulhxygi4gzvb7c5bvk62jj4",
"uri": "at://did:plc:u3en3lbqxqulbttrgzmw3k6a/app.bsky.feed.post/3mmdc4pfkfvj2"
},
"coverImage": {
"$type": "blob",
"ref": {
"$link": "bafkreignmkwcatphcb3xcuftfl67ww6nxku7dwxnoytzl2573cfmpjqt5i"
},
"mimeType": "image/jpeg",
"size": 167825
},
"description": "MSC’s choice underscores how cruise lines are cautiously testing the Suez route again, balancing Red Sea risk against the cost and disruption of sailing around Africa. ",
"path": "/msc-euribia-takes-suez-route-to-keep-kiel-sailing-on-schedule/",
"publishedAt": "2026-05-21T01:42:09.000Z",
"site": "https://www.cruisenews.io",
"textContent": "MSC Euribia has taken the Red Sea and Suez Canal route back to Europe instead of the longer passage around Africa, shortening the repositioning of MSC Cruises’ LNG-powered ship after nearly two months in the Arabian Gulf. The vessel left Dubai on April 18, crossed Bab-el-Mandeb and completed its first Suez Canal transit on April 26 as it works toward a scheduled return to guest service from Germany on May 16.\n\nThe Cape of Good Hope passage had been expected because of Red Sea security concerns. The transit was the first Red Sea and Suez Canal passage by an MSC Cruises vessel in nearly three years, after the company suspended its operations in the region in early 2024.\n\n## Route change keeps reinstated Europe sailing on schedule\n\nA Cape of Good Hope routing from Dubai would have taken three to four weeks. After MSC Euribia cleared the Strait of Hormuz, MSC Cruises told guests the ship would be able to reach Northern Europe earlier than previously anticipated and reinstated the Kiel and Copenhagen departures that had been canceled days earlier.\n\nThe May 16 departure from Kiel, followed by Copenhagen embarkation the next day, is a seven-night Norwegian Fjords cruise that also includes Denmark. MSC Euribia is scheduled to operate weeklong fjords itineraries through the summer from Kiel, with Copenhagen also available as an embarkation port and calls including Geiranger, Alesund and Flam.\n\nThe earlier May 2 Kiel season opener remains canceled. For that sailing, MSC Cruises offered booked passengers no-fee transfers to available cruises departing by Nov. 30, 2026, fare protection for the same duration and accommodation category, onboard credit of up to 200 euros per person, transfers to later sailings at the new cruise fare, or a full refund.\n\n## Suez Canal Authority marks first transit\n\nAt roughly 184,000 gross tons and 331 meters long, the 2023-built MSC Euribia transited the canal without guests and with 192 crew members on board, far below its normal crew complement of about 1,700. The ship has 2,419 cabins and sails under the Maltese flag.\n\nSuez Canal Authority officials boarded the vessel during the first-time transit and presented a commemorative gift to the ship’s master. Suez Canal Authority Chairman Ossama Rabiee said the waterway continues to provide “maritime and logistical services” and can accommodate “the newest and largest vessels” through its development projects.\n\nRabiee also said cruise ship transits show the canal’s appeal to passenger vessels because of “time saving and reduced operating costs.” The authority logged 45 vessel transits totaling about 1.7 million net tons on the same day; before the Red Sea security disruption, the canal typically handled 60 or more ships a day and exceeded 25,000 annual transits in 2023.\n\nThe authority cited the Southern Sector Development Project among recent upgrades, including a 40-meter widening on the eastern side of part of the canal and 10 kilometers of added two-way navigation in the Lesser Bitter Lakes area.\n\n## Operators split between Suez and Africa routes\n\nMSC’s move came as other cruise operators repositioned ships that had also been delayed in the Gulf region. Celestyal Journey transited the Suez Canal the same day on a voyage from the United Arab Emirates toward Turkey, and Celestyal Cruises’ Discovery and Journey were both expected to resume Mediterranean service in early May.\n\nTUI Cruises chose the longer route around South Africa for Mein Schiff 5 and Mein Schiff 4 after both ships cleared the Strait of Hormuz. Mein Schiff 5 was due in Cape Town on April 28 and Mein Schiff 4 the following day, with service resumptions scheduled for mid-May in Turkey and Italy.\n\nMSC Euribia’s remaining repositioning route takes it through the Mediterranean, the Strait of Gibraltar, the Bay of Biscay, the English Channel and into the North Sea. The ship was still operating without guests during the transfer, and hotel staffing will need to be restored before passenger operations resume. MSC has not published an exact Kiel arrival time, but the company has told guests that subsequent Northern Europe sailings remain planned.",
"title": "MSC Euribia Takes Suez Route to Keep Kiel Sailing on Schedule",
"updatedAt": "2026-05-21T03:42:10.042Z"
}