June 2026 Trial Set for Teen Tried as Adult in Carnival Horizon Death
Updated May 19, 2026
A 16-year-old from Titusville, Florida, Timothy Hudson, is being prosecuted as an adult in federal court in Miami in connection with the death of his 18-year-old stepsister, Anna Kepner, aboard Carnival Horizon during a November 2025 family cruise.
U.S. District Judge Beth Bloom has set Hudson's trial on charges of first-degree murder and aggravated sexual abuse to begin June 1, 2026, according to a court order. Hudson's defense team formally entered a not-guilty plea during an arraignment in Miami federal court and requested a jury trial. Hudson did not appear in person.
What prosecutors allege happened aboard Carnival Horizon
Federal prosecutors allege Hudson sexually assaulted Kepner and intentionally killed her while the ship was in international waters en route to Miami. Court records described the events as occurring on or about Nov. 6 or 7, 2025, during a Caribbean voyage on Carnival Horizon.
Kepner's body was discovered concealed under a bed in a cabin she shared with Hudson and another minor relative, according to court filings. After the ship docked in Miami, Kepner was taken to the Miami-Dade Medical Examiner's Office, which determined the cause of death was mechanical asphyxia, a form of suffocation caused by physical force or obstruction to the airway.
Christopher Kepner later described finding his daughter in the cabin. "I checked her pulse. I pulled her out from under the bed," he told the Daily Mail. "I knew my daughter was dead long before the medical examiner got there. I don't want to be back in that room."
Charges, potential penalty, and why the case is in federal court
Hudson is charged with first-degree murder and aggravated sexual abuse. If convicted, he faces a maximum penalty of life in prison.
Because the alleged crimes occurred aboard a cruise ship in international waters, the case is being handled in federal court in the Southern District of Florida. FBI Miami is investigating the case, and Assistant U.S. Attorney Alejandra L. Lopez is prosecuting it.
Both sides are preparing for a fast-moving federal trial. Attorneys have indicated that key forensic evidence, including DNA collected on the ship, will play a central role.
How the case moved from juvenile proceedings to adult prosecution
Hudson was arrested in February 2026 and initially charged as a juvenile. The case file remained sealed due to his age. A federal grand jury later returned an indictment, and the U.S. Department of Justice announced the federal charges last week.
On April 10, Judge Bloom granted the government's request to transfer the case for adult prosecution, unsealing the court records and making the filings public.
Former Palm Beach County prosecutor Dave Aronberg, who reviewed the indictment and has followed the case but is not involved, said adult prosecution was expected given the seriousness of the allegations. Aronberg also pointed to a practical difference in the federal juvenile system, where a defendant could potentially be released at age 21 regardless of the severity of the offense.
In a statement released with the Justice Department's announcement of the indictment, U.S. Attorney Jason A. Reding Quiñones of the Southern District of Florida said, "Our hearts go out to the victim's family during this unimaginable loss." He also said prosecutors intend to present evidence in court "with professionalism and care," and said Hudson is presumed innocent unless proven guilty beyond a reasonable doubt.
Plea and dispute over whether Hudson remains free before trial
Hudson's defense team formally entered a not-guilty plea at the Miami arraignment, requested a jury trial, and waived a full hearing that lasted less than two minutes. Hudson did not appear in court in person.
Another issue remains unresolved as the case heads toward trial: whether Hudson will remain on pretrial release. After his February arrest, Hudson was released under conditions that included living with an uncle in Hernando County and electronic monitoring, following an order by U.S. Magistrate Judge Edwin Torres.
Prosecutors have asked the court to revisit the release decision now that the case is proceeding in adult court. In a filing tied to the detention issue, Lopez wrote that the alleged crimes involved "a victim with whom he had no apparent relational strife," adding that Kepner was someone he was being raised to view as a sibling.
Hudson's federal public defender has argued in court filings that he has complied with release terms for more than two months and has requested a detention hearing before the same judge who initially approved his release. No detention hearing has been scheduled.
Family reactions and who Anna Kepner was
Kepner's father, Christopher Kepner, and stepmother, Shauntel Kepner, released a statement describing the loss as devastating. "Our family is devastated by the loss of Anna and continues to grieve this unimaginable tragedy," the statement said. "Anna was deeply loved, and we remain committed to honoring her life and memory every day."
Christopher Kepner also said the family was placing "trust in the justice system to pursue the truth with care and integrity," adding that the situation was "deeply painful and complex" for the family, and expressing concern that Hudson had not been taken into custody despite the allegations.
He later said he and his wife do not plan to attend the June trial unless asked. "Unless they ask for me to be there, neither my wife or I will be attending," he told the Daily Mail. "I've heard all the evidence. I saw it for myself. They have everything they need. It's going to be too painful to relive it all again."
Chris Donohue Sr., Kepner's step-grandfather, said, "I am glad that justice is starting and I am hoping she gets the justice she deserves," adding, "Her life was cut short and we are saddened that we will not be able to see what a beautiful life she would have had."
Kepner was a senior at Temple Christian School in Titusville. Friends and family described her as "bubbly, funny, outgoing," and her obituary noted her love for cheerleading, gymnastics, and boating. She had plans to join the U.S. Navy after graduation, aspiring to become a K9 officer. Her birth mother, Heather Wright, said her daughter "always wanted to make people laugh," and described her as someone who loved being in the water.
Family members also spoke about the shock of her death. Kepner's grandmother, Barbara Kepner, said, "We were all having a great time," adding, "I couldn't fathom why anyone would wanna hurt my baby." Her grandfather, Jeffrey Kepner, said, "It's all family."
In Titusville, Kepner was mourned in a celebration-of-life service in November that drew hundreds of people. Friends and relatives turned her car into a makeshift memorial.
Key dates in the case
Nov. 6-7, 2025: Investigators place the alleged events on or about these dates during a Carnival Horizon voyage as the ship headed toward Miami. Kepner's cause of death was later determined to be mechanical asphyxia.
February 2026: Hudson is arrested and charged in federal court as a juvenile. The case file is sealed because of his age, and he is later released under conditions including electronic monitoring while living with an uncle in Hernando County.
March-April 2026: A federal grand jury returns an indictment. Judge Bloom approves transferring the case to adult prosecution, and the court file is unsealed.
April 2026: Hudson's defense team enters a not-guilty plea, requests a jury trial, and prosecutors seek review of his pretrial release status. Hudson remains on release under previously ordered conditions, and no detention hearing has been scheduled.
June 1, 2026: Trial is scheduled to begin in Miami federal court under Judge Bloom's order.
Discussion in the ATmosphere