{
  "$type": "site.standard.document",
  "bskyPostRef": {
    "cid": "bafyreifye44chha6uryhdvxke2nyceh72mlktujdggqxo6yq35fifmapl4",
    "uri": "at://did:plc:u3en3lbqxqulbttrgzmw3k6a/app.bsky.feed.post/3mialbcwlovi2"
  },
  "coverImage": {
    "$type": "blob",
    "ref": {
      "$link": "bafkreicus6yqxh3fw6yajimusssp76rau6e7jcnw5n6gkuqi2qtgfo535i"
    },
    "mimeType": "image/webp",
    "size": 109352
  },
  "description": "The extended halt underscores how a single security chokepoint can freeze an entire cruise season, pushing operators to rethink Gulf deployments and rescue European schedules. ",
  "path": "/tui-cruises-cancels-mein-schiff-4-and-5-sailings-through-march-2026/",
  "publishedAt": "2026-03-30T02:07:00.000Z",
  "site": "https://www.cruisenews.io",
  "textContent": "Update: May 3, 2026 — Mein Schiff 4 and Mein Schiff 5 have passed the Strait of Hormuz and are returning to service in mid-May.\n\nTUI Cruises extended cancellations for Mein Schiff 4 and Mein Schiff 5 through April 2026 after conflict in the Middle East left the ships unable to operate published itineraries and reposition out of the Arabian Gulf. The ships have since passed the Strait of Hormuz and are sailing back toward their summer deployments.\n\n## Strait of Hormuz disruption strands Mein Schiff 4 and Mein Schiff 5\n\nMein Schiff 4 was docked in Abu Dhabi in the United Arab Emirates, while Mein Schiff 5 was in Doha, Qatar, as the closure of the Strait of Hormuz left both vessels unable to leave the region. TUI Cruises linked the cancellations to regional conditions that made maritime operations and repositioning plans, including toward South Africa and onward to Europe for the summer season, impossible under current guidance.\n\nThe Hamburg-based cruise line said it is relying on travel and security guidance from Germany’s Foreign Office and has framed the decision around guest and crew safety. “We are continuously assessing the situation and making decisions based on current official recommendations,” the company said in a statement. On April 19, TUI Cruises said both ships had successfully passed the Strait of Hormuz in a controlled transit coordinated with authorities.\n\n## Successful Strait of Hormuz transit sets up mid-May return to service\n\nTUI Cruises said Mein Schiff 4 and Mein Schiff 5 cleared the strait with reduced crews after nearly two months in Gulf ports. The ships then set course for Cape Town, with additional crew members set to rejoin in Cape Town and Malta before the vessels return to regular operations.\n\nThe line said Mein Schiff 5 is scheduled to welcome guests again from Heraklion on May 15, 2026, and Mein Schiff 4 from Trieste on May 17, 2026. Wybcke Meier, CEO of TUI Cruises, said the company was moving back toward normal operations, thanking captains, crews, and shore teams for their “professionalism, caution and dedication.”\n\n## How far the cancellations now extend\n\nTUI Cruises said the scope of the cancellations expanded in stages as the situation persisted, beginning with late February and early March departures from Dubai and Doha before later updates pushed the window deeper into March and then into April for the final repositioning and early Mediterranean departures.\n\n  * Mein Schiff 4: all sailings canceled through April 11, 2026\n  * Mein Schiff 5: all sailings canceled through April 24, 2026\n\n\n\nTUI Cruises said it was contacting affected passengers directly. At the time, the line also asked guests booked on future voyages not to make individual enquiries while it assessed the situation and next steps.\n\nBy March 17, the company said all guests and numerous crew members had safely disembarked both ships, shifting its focus to the reduced crews that remained onboard.\n\n## Repositioning voyages and Mediterranean plans removed from the schedule\n\nThe extended cancellation window also swept up longer itineraries intended to bring the ships back into European service.\n\nMein Schiff 5 had been scheduled to depart March 29, 2026, on a 19-night repositioning voyage from Cape Town, South Africa, to Palma de Mallorca, Spain, with planned calls in Namibia, Cape Verde, the Canary Islands and Gibraltar. TUI Cruises later canceled that sailing, then also removed Mediterranean departures for Mein Schiff 5 on April 17 and April 24.\n\nFor the April 17 itinerary, the ship was scheduled to depart Palma de Mallorca and route toward Heraklion, Greece, with planned calls including Palermo (Italy), Valletta (Malta), and Greek ports including Piraeus and Chania. The April 24 cruise was planned as a roundtrip sailing from Heraklion with calls in Greece and Turkey, including Istanbul, as well as Greek ports such as Mykonos, Piraeus and Chania. Both voyages were later canceled.\n\nMein Schiff 4 had also been scheduled to depart Dubai on March 22, 2026, on a 20-day voyage to Cape Town, South Africa, with planned calls in Muscat, Mahe Island, Mauritius, Reunion Island and Port Elizabeth, but that voyage was canceled as the ships remained unable to resume normal operations. The ship's next planned guest sailing, a 20-night repositioning voyage from Cape Town to Palma de Mallorca departing April 11, was also later canceled after calls that had included Walvis Bay, Praia, Gran Canaria, Arrecife, Tangier and Barcelona.\n\n## Guest repatriation and reduced onboard operations\n\nTUI Cruises said it has carried out a multi-step operation to return guests home from both ships, citing constraints such as limited flight availability as the situation developed. In one update, the company said it was working with airlines so guests could plan return travel “given the ongoing dynamic situation in the region and limited flight connections.”\n\nFor Mein Schiff 5, TUI Cruises said it completed the evacuation of approximately 2,500 guests from Doha after the conflict escalated on Feb. 28. The company said the effort included charter flights routed from Riyadh, Saudi Arabia, to German airports including Munich, Frankfurt and Cologne, with guests traveling by bus from Doha to Riyadh and completing entry formalities en route, while other guests departed on Qatar Airways flights from Doha.\n\nAcross the two ships, TUI Cruises has described repatriation on a larger scale, saying it repatriated nearly 10,000 passengers and approximately 1,500 crew members. The company has also said that more than 5,000 guests were collectively onboard the two vessels when the conflict intensified, before both ships later left the region with reduced crews.\n\nAfter guests left, the company said portions of the crew were also repatriated, with additional crew members scheduled to follow. Onboard operations were scaled back to minimum levels, with Mein Schiff 4 reported to have only 59 crew members remaining out of a usual complement of about 900 to maintain essential ship functions. Captain Jan Fortun and the reduced team later departed Abu Dhabi as part of the ship’s safe transit out of the Gulf.\n\n## Crisis coordination and support for crew families\n\nTUI Cruises said it is operating under crisis-management procedures while coordinating with the German Foreign Office, embassies, international security experts, and security teams connected to its ownership structure. TUI Cruises is a joint venture between TUI AG and Royal Caribbean Group, with each holding a 50% stake. The company has also said it is preparing scenarios to restore the ships’ scheduled itineraries.\n\n“The primary objective now remains the safety and well-being of the remaining crew onboard,” the company said in multiple updates.\n\nTo support relatives of those still at sea, TUI Cruises said it established an information hotline for families of crew members still onboard. The hotline is available Monday to Friday at +800 5353 3333, and questions can also be sent by email to FamilyCrewHelpLine@seachefs.com.\n\n## Abu Dhabi drone incident near Mein Schiff 4\n\nDuring the disruption period, TUI Cruises reported an incident near Mein Schiff 4 that heightened concern for guests in Abu Dhabi. On March 1, two missile-armed drones crashed in Port Zayed near the ship, striking a warehouse area and triggering fires that produced visible smoke from the vessel.\n\nTUI Cruises said no injuries were reported onboard and the ship did not sustain damage. Guests were instructed to follow emergency protocols, including avoiding outer decks and windows, while crew managed shipboard procedures until the situation stabilized.\n\n## Other cruise operators also halt Gulf operations\n\nThe disruption has affected other cruise lines operating in the region. MSC Cruises canceled the remainder of its 2025-26 winter season before later sending MSC Euribia out of Dubai after a safe Strait of Hormuz transit. Celestyal Cruises also confirmed cancellations for Celestyal Journey and Celestyal Discovery while the ships were unable to reposition, and both vessels later cleared the strait as they headed for Mediterranean deployments. Aroya Cruises announced a suspension of all voyages planned for the season and later departed the Arabian Gulf as well.\n\nTUI Cruises has since shifted from waiting for a safe exit to restoring its regular schedules, with mid-May departures from Heraklion and Trieste now scheduled.\n\n## Frequently Asked Questions (FAQs)\n\n### Why were the Strait of Hormuz closures significant?\n\nThe Strait of Hormuz is a key waterway linking the Persian Gulf to the Gulf of Oman and the Arabian Sea. TUI Cruises said the closure prevented its ships from accessing routes needed to reposition to other regions, leaving the vessels stranded in Abu Dhabi and Doha until they were able to depart in April.\n\n### How are repatriated guests being compensated?\n\nTUI Cruises has said affected passengers are being offered a choice between future cruise credits or full refunds for canceled departures, and that guests should contact their original travel providers to discuss next steps.\n\n### What is the current status of Mein Schiff 4 and Mein Schiff 5?\n\nBoth ships have passed the Strait of Hormuz with reduced crews and are repositioning back toward their summer deployments. TUI Cruises said Mein Schiff 5 is scheduled to resume service from Heraklion on May 15, 2026, and Mein Schiff 4 from Trieste on May 17, 2026.\n\n### Are other cruise lines impacted by the conflict?\n\nYes. MSC Cruises, Celestyal Cruises, and Aroya Cruises also announced cancellations or suspensions affecting Gulf deployments. Several of those ships, including MSC Euribia, Celestyal Journey, and Celestyal Discovery, later departed the region after the strait briefly reopened.\n\n### When will operations in the Middle East resume?\n\nTUI Cruises has shifted its focus to the ships’ summer programs rather than a near-term Gulf restart. The line said Mein Schiff 5 is scheduled to sail from Heraklion on May 15, 2026, and Mein Schiff 4 from Trieste on May 17, 2026.",
  "title": "TUI Cruises Cancels Mein Schiff 4 and 5 Sailings Through March 2026",
  "updatedAt": "2026-05-03T16:38:54.318Z"
}