{
  "$type": "site.standard.document",
  "bskyPostRef": {
    "cid": "bafyreih34kjywycttukpj5tyynmjkpukjduf2oputt6ca46mvmkgb26lpe",
    "uri": "at://did:plc:qefo6jhzy4lvocnzakfk7rbi/app.bsky.feed.post/3mi2ilneecn32"
  },
  "coverImage": {
    "$type": "blob",
    "ref": {
      "$link": "bafkreieru2layin4cdgykhwmx7kzbk5xdmi6amitrjrwd5ni6ef24u3bqi"
    },
    "mimeType": "image/jpeg",
    "size": 70142
  },
  "path": "/post/208277/pentagon-alarmed-tomahawk-missiles-iran-war",
  "publishedAt": "2026-03-27T14:21:07.000Z",
  "site": "https://newrepublic.com",
  "tags": [
    "Breaking News",
    "Iran",
    "iran war",
    "tomahawk",
    "United States",
    "Politics",
    "Foreign Policy",
    "Middle East",
    "missiles",
    "Pentagon",
    "Department of Defense",
    "Military",
    "report",
    "girls’ school",
    "included",
    "10,000 additional",
    "said",
    "grain of salt",
    "gloated"
  ],
  "textContent": "U.S. forces have blown through more than 850 Tomahawk missiles in the ongoing war in Iran, according to a new report by _The Washington Post_. The usage rate has led some Pentagon officials to raise concerns about America’s capabilities in the Middle East and future conflicts.\n\nTrump’s Iran war has dragged on for four weeks, and the military is firing an average of 16 Tomahawks a day. One official told the _Post_ the number of the missiles left in the region is “alarmingly low.” It’s not like all the strikes have been precise takedowns of Iranian officials, either. In February, the U.S. hit a girls’ school with a Tomahawk, killing over 175 innocents, mostly young children.\n\nTomahawks aren’t your run-of-the-mill ballistic missile. Built by Raytheon, the weapons can cost as much as $3.6 million and take two years to construct, according to military documents reviewed by the _Post_. Being 20 feet long and roughly 3,500 pounds, they must be carried and launched from naval destroyers.\n\nJust 57 Tomahawks were included in last year’s defense budget, meaning Trump’s war is blowing through years of stockpiling.\n\nThe fire rate “has alarmed some officials and prompted internal discussions about how to make more available,” according to the _Post_. The concerns come at an inauspicious time, as Trump flirts with the idea of sending 10,000 additional ground troops to Iran.\n\nWhite House officials would have you believe our Great Nation possesses infinite ammunition. Press secretary Karoline Leavitt said on March 4 that the military “has more than enough munitions, ammo, and weapons stockpiles to achieve the goals of Operation Epic Fury laid out by President Trump—and beyond.”\n\nBut it’s best to take this administration’s statements about the war with a grain of salt. Trump has also gloated that defense manufacturers are quadrupling production of their “‘Exquisite Class’ Weaponry,” signaling that his administration knows it’s going through missiles at an unsustainable rate.",
  "title": "Pentagon Alarmed by Tomahawk Burn Rate in Iran War"
}