{
"$type": "site.standard.document",
"bskyPostRef": {
"cid": "bafyreigkvcbdkmc2nakz3tzosxwzkqpvtsfbn4k4ecjba3kfquitpzfpey",
"uri": "at://did:plc:qdzcgmgri7npfs46puqpnnjo/app.bsky.feed.post/3mlfhkumkqyn2"
},
"coverImage": {
"$type": "blob",
"ref": {
"$link": "bafkreifqollqzbu2axicqw6fdpi32jl4hhqxj3cwinoyj3rgqasu5bzpha"
},
"mimeType": "image/webp",
"size": 27098
},
"path": "/news/1998852/quetta-on-high-alert-amid-rising-security-threats",
"publishedAt": "2026-05-09T00:56:12.000Z",
"site": "https://www.dawn.com",
"tags": [
"Pakistan"
],
"textContent": "• DIG Imran Shoukat says authorities received around 150 threat alerts last month\n• Additional security personnel deployed across provincial capital\n\nQUETTA: Deputy Inspector General of Police (DIG), Quetta, Imran Shoukat said the city remained on high alert last month after authorities received around 150 threat alerts during April, prompting the implementation of strict security measures across the provincial capital.\n\nSpeaking at a press conference, the DIG said terrorists were changing their tactics, prompting police and other security institutions to revise their strategies to better protect the public and prevent potential attacks.\n\n“Quetta city is facing multiple security threats, and strict security measures are being enforced, including the deployment of additional security personnel and other steps to ensure the safety of citizens and institutions,” DIG Imran Shoukat said.\n\nHe added that 23 murders were reported last month, of which 21 were linked to personal enmities. Investigations into the cases are ongoing.\n\nThe DIG further said police had registered multiple cases against individuals and personnel involved in various crimes, corruption, and misuse of authority.\n\nHe also confirmed the safe recovery of a kidnapped child in a ransom-related case.\n\nMr Shoukat said the Special Crime Investigation Wing (SCIW) successfully recovered kidnapped child Muzammil Ahmed from the Eastern Bypass during an operation.\n\nA female suspect, Muzlifa, daughter of Abdul Baqi, was also arrested.\n\nReferring to the recent killing of a young student, he said police had signalled a suspicious vehicle to stop near Podgali Chowk.\n\nWhen the vehicle allegedly failed to stop, police opened fire, resulting in the death of a man identified as Safeer Bajwa.\n\nHe said authorities took immediate notice of the incident, and cases were registered against three police personnel — Riaz Muhammad, Dilawar Khan, and Adnan — who were subsequently arrested.\n\nThe DIG further stated that on May 1, a complaint was received alleging that personnel from the Eagle Squad City had taken bribes from two young men, Aftab Ahmed and Faizan Imran.\n\nFollowing an investigation, cases were registered against Eagle Squad officials Muhibullah, Adil Rasheed, and Taj Muhammad, who were later arrested. Legal proceedings are currently underway.\n\nHe emphasised that action against criminals, corruption, and misuse of authority within the police force would continue, adding that no one is above the law.\n\n_Published in Dawn, May 9th, 2026_",
"title": "Quetta on high alert amid rising security threats"
}