{
"$type": "site.standard.document",
"bskyPostRef": {
"cid": "bafyreie2ivswkm6hq753fowdrk2q5wqkzx7vvabom477yuxyqdf6bjqrqa",
"uri": "at://did:plc:qdzcgmgri7npfs46puqpnnjo/app.bsky.feed.post/3mkccvewhoax2"
},
"coverImage": {
"$type": "blob",
"ref": {
"$link": "bafkreifztagyrujqwvpxrdvbmeiw3xq3wdwgkhre7k3lfteugukklmbfoq"
},
"mimeType": "image/webp",
"size": 31742
},
"path": "/news/1994786/first-batch-of-gul-plaza-traders-receives-compensation-in-karachi",
"publishedAt": "2026-04-25T05:07:34.000Z",
"site": "https://www.dawn.com",
"tags": [
"Pakistan",
"fire-hit Gul Plaza",
"project"
],
"textContent": "Chief Minister Murad Ali Shah presents a cheque for compensation to an affected shopkeeper of Gul Plaza.—PPI\n\n• CM Murad distributes Rs511.7m among 200 out of 1,209 shopkeepers affected by Jan 17 blaze • Promises action against whoever is held responsible by Judicial Commission • Says he is aware of ‘memes’ about University Road; tells gathering govt to bring in new company to ‘quickly’ complete key artery\n\nKARACHI: As many as 200 fire-hit Gul Plaza shopkeepers, out of total 1,209, were given compensatory cheques on Friday by Chief Minister Murad Ali Shah, who distributed Rs511.7 million among the tragedy victims, unveiling a Rs7 billion relief package.\n\nA ceremony was held at the CM House which was also attended by representatives of the Karachi Chamber of Commerce and Industry (KCCI).\n\nSpeaking as the chief guest, the chief minister said the provincial government had approved a comprehensive Rs7bn financial package for the people affected by the Jan 17 devastating fire that claimed lives of 73 people and destroyed the three-storey shopping mall.\n\nHe said that Rs5.657bn had already been secured through the Accountant General’s office for distribution based on assessments by the KCCI.\n\nOutlining earlier relief efforts, CM said that Rs10m each had been announced for families of the deceased persons in the first phase. “Payments have been completed in 64 cases, while four are under verification and four are pending due to legal heir issues,” he added.\n\nIn the second phase, the chief minister said, 849 affected shopkeepers received Rs500,000 each as immediate relief during Ramazan to help rebuild their livelihoods.\n\n“No financial assistance can compensate for the pain and losses suffered, but we are committed to your rehabilitation and support,” he told the affected traders.\n\nHe added that every verified affected person would receive compensation and no one would be left behind.\n\nHe described the Gul Plaza tragedy as a painful incident that caused immense human and financial losses to families and the business community.\n\nThe chief minister said that a committee had been constituted to implement the recommendations of the Judicial Commission tasked with investigating the inferno.\n\nHe said that the committee’s proposals would be presented before the next meeting of the provincial cabinet.\n\n“Whoever has been identified as responsible in the report will face action,” he promised.\n\nCM Shah said that a Chinese company had prepared a comprehensive firefighting plan to strengthen Karachi’s emergency response systems after President Asif Ali Zardari had taken up the issue with Chinese authorities.\n\nHe also briefed the participants on major infrastructure initiatives across Karachi.\n\n“Over Rs300 billion in development schemes have been earmarked this year,” he said, adding: “Shahrah-i-Bhutto will be inaugurated in the first 10 days of May by PPP Chairman Bilawal Bhutto Zardari.”\n\nTalking about the Bus Rapid Transit Red Line project, CM Shah said wherever he went, people asked when University Road would be completed and this became quite embarrassing.\n\nHe said that the government had cancelled the contract of a firm and was going to bring in a new company to complete University Road quickly.\n\n“There are memes saying the Strait of Hormuz has opened but University Road hasn’t. They have heard you, and get the Strait of Hormuz closed again,” he said on a lighter note.\n\nBusinessmen Group Chairman Zubair Motiwala of the KCCI thanked the provincial government, saying “a great deal of work has been done in a very short period.”\n\nHe confirmed that compensation was being processed based on verified losses and that every rightful claimant would receive dues.\n\nRepresentatives of the affectees also echoed their sentiments, thanking the provincial government for its sustained support.\n\nAffected shopkeeper Muhammad Ashraf said, “This is not just a compensation cheque, it is hope.”\n\nAnother trader, Ilyas Shah, appreciated that the government stood with victims after the January 17 tragedy.\n\nThe chief minister assured that a new Gul Plaza building with the same number of shops would be constructed within two years.\n\nHe said that beyond compensation, the government was focused on stronger safety oversight to prevent such incidents.\n\nThe ceremony was attended among others by provincial ministers Syed Nasir Hussain Shah, Zia-ul-Hassan Lanjar, Jam Ikramullah Dharejo, Mukesh Kumar Chawla and Saeed Ghani, Adviser Gyan Chand Essrani, Chief Secretary Asif Hyder Shah, Karachi Mayor Murtaza Wahab, Commissioner Hassan Naqvi, and KCCI representatives.\n\n_Published in Dawn, April 25th, 2026_",
"title": "First batch of Gul Plaza traders receives compensation in Karachi"
}