{
  "$type": "site.standard.document",
  "bskyPostRef": {
    "cid": "bafyreig3z64d4oq7g2xflhe5s5prz6gf6j6acd4nedjlweixuixxg3upyy",
    "uri": "at://did:plc:qdzcgmgri7npfs46puqpnnjo/app.bsky.feed.post/3mjw4ype5n4g2"
  },
  "coverImage": {
    "$type": "blob",
    "ref": {
      "$link": "bafkreihg2lw3vxrzrfhtqn5x2tbpgqogoonxdgh77m3azbw4scnbccajs4"
    },
    "mimeType": "image/webp",
    "size": 73292
  },
  "path": "/news/1993458/uncertainty-prevails-over-islamabad-talks-amid-mixed-signals-from-iran",
  "publishedAt": "2026-04-20T08:56:26.000Z",
  "site": "https://www.dawn.com",
  "tags": [
    "World",
    "expected to arrive",
    "targeted",
    "differing accounts",
    "closed the strait",
    "blockade of Iranian ports",
    "Islamabad Talks",
    "remarks",
    "12-day war",
    "set the stage",
    "arrived",
    "Trump posted",
    "led the delegation",
    "warned"
  ],
  "textContent": "Uncertainty prevailed on Monday over whether the United States and Iran would hold a second round of direct talks, as mixed signals emerged from Tehran amid intensifying tensions with Washington, even as Islamabad prepared to host the two sides.\n\nIran’s foreign ministry spokesperson Esmaeil Baqaei said Tehran has yet to decide on whether to attend the next round of talks with the US.\n\n> His statement came after Iran’s parliament speaker Mohammad Bagher Ghalibaf said earlier today that Tehran was continuing negotiations with the US but remains ready to take “necessary measures” amid fears of renewed escalation.\n\nAlthough a US delegation is expected to arrive in the capital tomorrow, according to US President Donald Trump, there is no confirmation so far that talks will be held.\n\nThe possibility has been cast in doubt after Trump said the US Navy had targeted an Iranian ship attempting to evade its blockade of the Strait of Hormuz, although both sides offered differing accounts of the incident.\n\nIran again closed the strait on Saturday, saying it would not reopen the maritime trade route until the US ended its blockade of Iranian ports.\n\nAddressing a weekly press briefing in Tehran on Monday, Baqaei said, “As of now, while I am at your service, we have no plans for the next round of negotiation, and no decision has been made in this regard”.\n\nThe foreign ministry spokesman elaborated that the US was not serious about pursuing diplomacy, citing “violations” of their two-week ceasefire.\n\n“While claiming diplomacy and readiness for negotiations, the US is carrying out behaviours that do not in any way indicate seriousness in pursuing a diplomatic process,” he said.\n\nHe highlighted that the US attack on the Iranian cargo ship early on Monday, the US naval blockade on Iranian ports, and delays in implementing a ceasefire in Lebanon were all “clear violations of the ceasefire”.\n\nSeparately, Ghalibaf, who led the Iranian delegation at the Islamabad Talks held on April 11 and 12, reiterated Tehran’s lack of trust in Washington.\n\n“We do not trust the enemy. At any moment, it may escalate the war,” Ghalibaf said in televised remarks, according to Iran’s semi-official _Mehr News Agency_.\n\n“We are negotiating, but we are prepared for the necessary measures,” said Ghalibaf.\n\nHe asserted that the ongoing conflict with the US and Israel began “through American deception in the middle of negotiations” and added that Iran had learned from the 12-day war in June 2025 and remained prepared for any future confrontation.\n\n> ## Islamabad prepares as US team expected\n\nMeanwhile, Islamabad continues to set the stage for a possible second round of negotiations between Washington and Tehran.\n\nExtra­ordinary security measures are in place in the federal capital and the garrison city, with reports that advance teams from the US for security arrangements arrived in Islamabad on Sunday.\n\nA US Air Force Boeing C-17A Globemaster III aircraft prepares to land at the Nur Khan airbase in Rawalpindi on April 20, 2026. — AFP\n\nMore than 10,000 security personnel, including commandos and snipers, had been deployed across Islamabad and Rawalpindi, besides separate arrangements at the Islamabad International Airport.\n\nAuthorities sealed the high-security Red Zone in the capital and other key routes, besides suspending public transport in the twin cities.\n\nTwo luxury hotels were also vacated for the expected guests.\n\n“My Representatives are going to Islamabad, Pakistan — They will be there tomorrow evening, for Negotiations,” Trump posted on Truth Social on Sunday.\n\nBut it remained unclear who would head the US team.\n\n> During the first round of talks, US Vice President JD Vance led the delegation. But this time, there was no clarity whether he would be coming to Islamabad, particularly due to contradictory statements by the US administration.\n\nInitially, Trump said his vice president would not lead the delegation “only because” of security concerns. “JD’s great,” he told _ABC News_. The White House quickly flipped the script when asked about those comments.\n\n## ‘Security of the Strait of Hormuz is not free’\n\nIran’s First Vice President Mohammad Reza Aref also warned earlier in the day that security in the Strait of Hormuz cannot be guaranteed if Tehran’s oil exports remain restricted, referring to the US’s naval blockade of Iranian ports.\n\n“No one can restrict Iran’s oil exports while expecting free security for others,” Aref said on X.\n\n“The security of the Strait of Hormuz is not free,” he added.\n\nAref said the world faces a choice between “a free oil market for all” or “significant costs for everyone”.\n\nHe stressed that stability in global fuel prices depended on “a guaranteed and lasting end to the economic and military pressure against Iran and its allies”.\n\n>",
  "title": "Uncertainty prevails over Islamabad talks amid mixed signals from Iran"
}