{
  "$type": "site.standard.document",
  "bskyPostRef": {
    "cid": "bafyreiaux6da44kwdmvf4lku6q374eqo4oymod5wzkxfkwm76kxi2qk22m",
    "uri": "at://did:plc:qdzcgmgri7npfs46puqpnnjo/app.bsky.feed.post/3mjvic2agwpi2"
  },
  "coverImage": {
    "$type": "blob",
    "ref": {
      "$link": "bafkreidqyzk5ejghaav7yw3wvpw5qqpip3xuu43hfdiyru375p4qchmlrm"
    },
    "mimeType": "image/webp",
    "size": 58972
  },
  "path": "/news/1993372/unicef-decries-water-suppliers-killing-in-gaza",
  "publishedAt": "2026-04-20T02:47:26.000Z",
  "site": "https://www.dawn.com",
  "tags": [
    "World",
    "ceasefire"
  ],
  "textContent": "JERUSALEM: Two civilian contractors delivering water for the UN children’s fund were shot dead by Israeli troops in northern Gaza, Unicef said on Saturday, expressing fury over the deaths the previous day.\n\n“Unicef is outraged by the killing of two drivers of trucks contracted by Unicef to provide clean water to families in the Gaza Strip,” it said in a statement.\n\nWhen contacted by _AFP_ , the Israeli military claimed that the troops saw “two armed terrorists in the area of the Yellow Line” approaching, so they “opened fire”.\n\n> Israel military claims troops opened fire on ‘two armed terrorists’\n\nThe army said the incident was “under review”.\n\nUnicef said the incident took place at the Mansoura water filling point in northern Gaza, which is “the only operational truck filling point for the Mekorot water supply line serving Gaza City”.\n\n> “The incident, in which two other people were injured, occurred during routine water trucking operations, with no changes in movement or procedures,” it said, adding that the point was used “multiple times a day” by Unicef and its humanitarian partners.\n\nFollowing the incident, all activities at the filling point had been suspended, it said, urging the Israeli authorities to “immediately investigate” the incident and ensure those responsible be held accountable.\n\n“Humanitarian workers, essential service providers and civilian infrastructure, including critical water facilities, must never be targeted.\n\nThe protection of civilians and those delivering life-saving assistance is an obligation under international humanitarian law,” Unicef said.\n\nEarlier on Saturday, Gaza’s health ministry, which operates under Hamas authority, reported an overall death toll of 72,549 since October 2023. That number includes 773 Palestinians killed since the Gaza ceasefire came into effect on Oct 10, 2025.\n\nIsraeli army claims\n\nOn Saturday, the Israeli army said troops had opened fire in two incidents in the Gaza Strip’s north and south, eliminating “two infiltrators who crossed the Yellow Line and approached the forces posing an immediate threat”.\n\n_Published in Dawn, April 20th, 2026_",
  "title": "Unicef decries water suppliers’ killing in Gaza"
}