{
"$type": "site.standard.document",
"bskyPostRef": {
"cid": "bafyreiasvienkbek6y4jh4dr3wqrgujz2qqyab6nyxpsjv3vbigvxp7kme",
"uri": "at://did:plc:qdzcgmgri7npfs46puqpnnjo/app.bsky.feed.post/3mjklrfvu6ux2"
},
"coverImage": {
"$type": "blob",
"ref": {
"$link": "bafkreid3bwqroo3gxtcvi4kgajulsti7vlzcad3relxlrgud2a52jo64jy"
},
"mimeType": "image/webp",
"size": 14272
},
"path": "/news/1992026/3-killed-in-kps-bajaur-as-mortar-shells-fired-from-across-afghan-border-security-sources",
"publishedAt": "2026-04-15T18:49:28.000Z",
"site": "https://www.dawn.com",
"tags": [
"Pakistan",
"launched",
"unprovoked",
"returned",
"agreed",
"trilateral mechanism",
"said"
],
"textContent": "BAJAUR: Two children and a woman were killed while three others were injured when mortar shells fired from across the Afghan border hit a house in the Kitkot village of Khyber Pakhtunkhwa’s Bajaur district on Wednesday night, security sources said.\n\nThe sources held the Afghan Taliban responsible for the firing, terming it an act of unprovoked aggression.\n\nThey said the Afghan Taliban had been trying to get a formation of _Fitna al Khawarij_ to infiltrate into Pakistan during the past few days. But the attempts were foiled due to timely action by the army, the sources said, adding that the Afghan Taliban then resorted to targeting the civilian population in Pakistan.\n\n_Fitna al Khawarij_ is a term that the state has designated for the banned Tehreek-i-Taliban (TTP).\n\nAccording to security sources, the gun position from where the mortar shells were fired had been destroyed in retaliatory action by the army.\n\nThey said that all posts of the Afghan Taliban near Bajaur were being targeted in the retaliatory action, during which heavy loss of life had also been reported on the other side.\n\nThe incident has taken place as Pakistan continues Operation Ghazab lil-Haq. It was launched on the night of Feb 26, following unprovoked cross-border attacks by the Afghan Taliban.\n\nThere has been a resurgence in terrorism in Pakistan since the Afghan Taliban returned to power in Kabul in 2021. Islamabad has repeatedly urged Taliban to dismantle terrorist sanctuaries on Afghan soil, particularly those linked to the banned TTP. Officials say those appeals have gone unheeded.\n\nOn April 8, Pakistan and Afghanistan had agreed to avoid any escalation in their armed conflict during talks hosted by China.\n\nSince Pakistan launched Operation Ghazab lil-Haq against terrorist hideouts in Afghanistan, diplomatic contact between the two sides had largely ceased.\n\nThe talks in China were held under a trilateral mechanism as tensions between Islamabad and Kabul remain elevated following recent cross-border security developments.\n\nOn April 2, FO spokesperson Tahir Andrabi said during a weekly briefing that while Pakistan was holding talks with Afghanistan to end the conflict, Kabul must “demonstrate visible and verifiable actions”.\n\nHe said Pakistan had sent the delegation to China “in line with its consistent position and longstanding practice of supporting a credible process that can lead to [a] durable solution … to stop border terrorism from Afghanistan”.\n\n“Our participation is a reiteration of our core concerns,” he stated. “The burden of real process, however, lies with Afghanistan, which must demonstrate visible and verifiable actions against terrorist groups using Afghan soil against Pakistan.”",
"title": "3 killed in KP’s Bajaur as mortar shells fired from across Afghan border: security sources"
}