{
  "$type": "site.standard.document",
  "bskyPostRef": {
    "cid": "bafyreia5jftumowgalx7kudx6qw2pi72yhru7ey27ocme5bshiye2kv5me",
    "uri": "at://did:plc:qdzcgmgri7npfs46puqpnnjo/app.bsky.feed.post/3miy4gggnovg2"
  },
  "coverImage": {
    "$type": "blob",
    "ref": {
      "$link": "bafkreiaocdihr4qvoxtqcg4jyio34gocxwbxvevqkyxndttjnqhoktovym"
    },
    "mimeType": "image/webp",
    "size": 52400
  },
  "path": "/news/1989847/in-phone-call-with-pm-shehbaz-pezeshkian-confirms-irans-participation-in-islamabad-talks",
  "publishedAt": "2026-04-08T10:33:30.000Z",
  "site": "https://www.dawn.com",
  "tags": [
    "Pakistan",
    "peace talks",
    "immediate ceasefire",
    "announced"
  ],
  "textContent": "Iran President Masoud Pezeshkian has confirmed Tehran’s participation in Pakistan-offered peace talks with the United States in Islamabad to finalise a peaceful settlement to their conflict, the Prime Minister’s Office (PMO) said on Wednesday.\n\nThe confirmation came during a phone call with PM Shehbaz Sharif this afternoon, which lasted for over 45 minutes, according to PMO.\n\nThe US has not yet confirmed its participation in the talks, the invitation of which was extended by PM Shehbaz for April 10 (Friday). White House Press Secretary Karoline Leavitt said earlier on Wednesday that “nothing is final until announced by the President or the White House”.\n\nAccording to the PMO statement, Pezeshkian “confirmed that Iran would be participating in the negotiations in Islamabad”.\n\nTerming the conversation “warm and cordial”, the PMO said the premier conveyed his “deep appreciation for the wisdom and sagacity of the Iranian leadership in agreeing to the ceasefire and for accepting the prime minister’s offer to host negotiations between Iran and the US in Islamabad later this week”.\n\nThe prime minister also conveyed his respects to Iran’s Supreme Leader Ayatollah Mojtaba Khamenei.\n\nAccording to PMO, President Pezeshkian thanked PM Shehbaz and “appreciated the efforts of the Pakistani leadership to bring about a temporary ceasefire between Iran and the US and conveyed his best wishes for the people of Pakistan”.\n\n“Both leaders agreed to remain in close contact,” the statement added.\n\nThe prime minister also posted on X about his phone call.\n\n> Terming his conversation “warm and substantive”, Shehbaz said he appreciated the Iranian leadership for “accepting Pakistan’s offer to host peace talks in Islamabad later this week to work jointly for the return of peace to the region”.\n\n“Pakistan remains committed to working closely with all its friends and partners to advance peace and stability in the region and beyond,” the premier reaffirmed.\n\nThe conversation comes after Pakistan announced that Iran and the US, along with their allies, had agreed to an immediate ceasefire, including in Lebanon, effective immediately.\n\nPM Shehbaz also invited delegations from both sides to Islamabad on April 10 to “further negotiate for a conclusive agreement to settle all disputes”.\n\nUS President Donald Trump, responding to Pakistan’s request to “extend the deadline for two weeks”, had announced he would suspend the bombing of Iran for two weeks if Tehran fully reopened the vital Strait of Hormuz.\n\nIn turn, Iran’s Foreign Minister Abbas Araghchi shared a statement on behalf of Iran’s Supreme National Security Council declaring that if attacks against the country were halted, it would cease its defensive operations.\n\n“For a period of two weeks, safe passage through the Strait of Hormuz will be possible via coordination with Iran’s armed forces and with due consideration of technical limitations,” he added.",
  "title": "In phone call with PM Shehbaz, Pezeshkian confirms Iran’s participation in Islamabad talks"
}