{
  "$type": "site.standard.document",
  "bskyPostRef": {
    "cid": "bafyreia35oql3heignp5ougt6t7gjdzt4qr6cgaho3th4x5hu6ssj2mtgu",
    "uri": "at://did:plc:qdzcgmgri7npfs46puqpnnjo/app.bsky.feed.post/3mi5awg2pnhx2"
  },
  "coverImage": {
    "$type": "blob",
    "ref": {
      "$link": "bafkreihl2d4nezabaalzok2i3qgwowim2x33yu3g5j6nc2zbbsqqzn5d3q"
    },
    "mimeType": "image/webp",
    "size": 21768
  },
  "path": "/news/1986274/blatant-crime-israeli-strike-kills-3-journalists-in-southern-lebanon",
  "publishedAt": "2026-03-28T17:09:29.000Z",
  "site": "https://www.dawn.com",
  "tags": [
    "World",
    "admitted",
    "two-thirds",
    "67 globally in 2025",
    "2024",
    "Issam Abdallah"
  ],
  "textContent": "An Israeli strike killed three journalists on Saturday in south Lebanon, with authorities denouncing the attack as a “war crime”.\n\nLebanese television news channel _Al Manar_ said its reporter Ali Shoaib and reporter Fatima Ftouni, from Lebanese pan-Arab broadcaster _Al Mayadeen_ , were killed when their vehicle was hit.\n\nLebanon’s information minister, Paul Morcis, later said Ftouni’s brother, Mohammed, a cameraman, had also been killed.\n\n_Al Mayadeen_ said that the Israeli airstrike “directly struck a vehicle clearly marked as a press car in which she and fellow journalists were travelling”. It added that Shoaib and Ftouni’s brother were also in the vehicle.\n\n“According to _Al Mayadeen’s_ correspondent Jamal Ghourabi, Israel targeted Fatima’s vehicle with four precision missiles. After that, when ambulances arrived on the scene, paramedics were then targeted, leading to the martyrdom of one paramedic, reflecting an obvious attempt to assassinate press crews and even paramedics attempting to reach them,” the report said.\n\n_Al Mayadeen_ also shared a video of when the strike hit the press team and the remains of the charred car, with multiple people present several metres away on the road.\n\n> It added that Ftouni and her brother were not the first to be killed in the US-Israeli war on Iran. It said that earlier this month, her uncle and his family were killed in an Israeli strike, a development that she had reported on live television.\n\nShoeib was one of _Al Manar_ ’s most prominent war correspondents, having covered Israeli attacks on Lebanon for decades.\n\nLebanese President Joseph Aoun condemned the Israeli strike, saying it violated norms.\n\n“Once again, the Israeli aggression violates the most basic rules of international law, international humanitarian law and the laws of war, by targeting journalists, who are ultimately civilians performing a professional duty,” Aoun said in a statement released by the presidency.\n\n“This is a blatant crime that violates all the norms and treaties under which journalists enjoy international protection in wars.”\n\nPrime Minister Nawaf Salam said the targeting of journalists was “a flagrant violation of international humanitarian law”.\n\nInformation Minister Paul Morcos deemed the actions to be “classified as war crimes”.\n\nMeanwhile, the Israeli military admitted to killing Shoaib, alleging he was part of an intelligence unit of Hezbollah’s Radwan Force. It also shared purported footage showing the targeted strike.\n\nThe military alleged Shoaib of “operating systematically to expose the locations of IDF soldiers operating in southern Lebanon and along the border”.\n\nIt further claimed that Shoaib “acted to incite against IDF forces and the citizens of the State of Israel while using it as a channel for distributing Hezbollah propaganda materials”.\n\n## Israel’s assault on journalists\n\nIsrael was responsible for two-thirds of the record 129 journalists and media workers killed across the world in 2025, according to the Committee to Protect Journalists (CPJ).\n\nIn its annual report, Paris-based Reporters Without Borders (RSF) said the total number of journalists killed reached 67 globally in 2025, slightly up from the 66 killed in 2024.\n\nSeveral journalists have been killed in southern Lebanon since the start of the previous round of hostilities between Israel and Hezbollah in 2023.\n\nA strike on central Beirut earlier this month killed Mohammad Sherri, _Al Manar_ ’s political programmes director.\n\nIn October 2024, three journalists — including a cameraman for _Al Manar_ and a cameraman and broadcast engineer for _Al Mayadeen_ — were killed in an Israeli airstrike that targeted the place where they were sleeping in southern Lebanon.\n\n_Al Mayadeen_ correspondent Farah Omar, cameraman Rabih Maamari and fixer Hussein Aqil were killed while on assignment in the south in November 2023.\n\nIn October 2023, _Reuters_ journalist Issam Abdallah was killed and six others wounded, including _AFP_ journalists Dylan Collins and Christina Assi while covering the conflict near the Israeli border.\n\nAn independent _AFP_ investigation concluded that two Israeli 120mm tank shells were fired from the Jordeikh area inside Israel.\n\nThe findings were corroborated by other international probes, including those by _Reuters_ , CPJ, RSF, Human Rights Watch and Amnesty International.",
  "title": "‘Blatant crime’: Israeli strike kills 3 journalists in southern Lebanon"
}