{
"$type": "site.standard.document",
"bskyPostRef": {
"cid": "bafyreidqraem7qag6k73txj3kpdmlpouczecjo2p2ezrsbenyuymoreeqq",
"uri": "at://did:plc:qdzcgmgri7npfs46puqpnnjo/app.bsky.feed.post/3mhndgh63zyj2"
},
"coverImage": {
"$type": "blob",
"ref": {
"$link": "bafkreifnc2qirczzcuakf7kqpddc236vfnh2pgqejzsinulyr3ht6bghhy"
},
"mimeType": "image/webp",
"size": 66044
},
"path": "/news/1984306/european-nations-decry-increasing-settler-terror-in-occupied-west-bank",
"publishedAt": "2026-03-22T06:22:00.000Z",
"site": "https://www.dawn.com",
"tags": [
"World",
"attack",
"ceasefire",
"shot dead"
],
"textContent": "Diplomats from 13 European countries and Canada on Saturday slammed growing “terror” by settlers against Palestinians in the occupied West Bank, after a surge in deadly attacks.\n\nSince the start of March, six Palestinians have been shot dead in settler attacks in the West Bank, according to a tally of data from the health ministry.\n\n“We strongly condemn increasing settler terror and violence by the Israeli security forces inflicted upon Palestinian communities,” said a joint statement from the diplomatic missions of countries including France, Spain and Britain.\n\n“We are especially appalled by the killings of Palestinians over these past weeks. This violence by settler militias, aimed at taking over land and creating a coercive environment, forcing Palestinians to leave their homes, must end.”\n\nThe statement called on the Israeli authorities to “prevent and prosecute the lethal violence, raids and attacks”.\n\nIsrael’s military chief, Lieutenant General Eyal Zamir, on Wednesday criticised the increase in settler attacks in the West Bank, calling it “morally and ethically unacceptable”.\n\nAlongside roughly three million Palestinians, more than 500,000 Israelis live in settlements and outposts in the West Bank, which are illegal under international law.\n\nViolence in the West Bank, which Israel has occupied since 1967, has risen sharply since the October 7, 2023 Hamas attack on Israel triggered the Gaza conflict.\n\nIt has continued despite the ceasefire and spiked since the start of the US-Israeli war on Iran.\n\nAccording to an _AFP_ tally based on Palestinian health ministry figures, Israeli troops or settlers have killed at least 1,050 Palestinians — many of them fighters, but also scores of civilians — in the West Bank since the start of Israel’s offensive on Gaza.\n\nIsraeli troops last week shot dead two children and their parents in a car, Palestinian authorities said. The Israeli military and police said soldiers opened fire on a vehicle over a perceived safety threat, killing four people inside.\n\nOfficial Israeli figures say 45 Israelis, including soldiers and civilians, have also been killed in Palestinian attacks or during Israeli military operations.",
"title": "European nations decry ‘increasing settler terror’ in occupied West Bank"
}