{
"$type": "site.standard.document",
"bskyPostRef": {
"cid": "bafyreiej7rpbmjvzcff3x5tmyh6n5t3gbzr27ul5npunjw2lycorocvaey",
"uri": "at://did:plc:qdzcgmgri7npfs46puqpnnjo/app.bsky.feed.post/3mh4hm6r4qq72"
},
"coverImage": {
"$type": "blob",
"ref": {
"$link": "bafkreidyruvoddtr5clmm5ae2dcsadeliwlni2bqdlsuglgnp6gvczmwie"
},
"mimeType": "image/webp",
"size": 18730
},
"path": "/news/1982353/1-dead-13-injured-as-shalimar-express-derails-after-colliding-with-goods-train-in-naushahro-feroze-rescue-1122",
"publishedAt": "2026-03-15T17:18:19.000Z",
"site": "https://www.dawn.com",
"tags": [
"Pakistan"
],
"textContent": "KARACHI/LAHORE: At least one person died and 13 others were injured on Sunday after Lahore-bound Shalimar Express collided with a goods train at Lakha Road Railway Station in Sindh’s Naushahro Feroze district on Sunday, Rescue 1122 said.\n\nIn a statement, Sindh’s Rescue 1122 said a body was recovered from the site, while the injured were rescued and provided with first aid.\n\nThe rescue service listed the names and ages of the 13 injured, with the wounded aged between 15 and 60 years.\n\nRescue 1122 said its Urban Search and Rescue teams from the Bandhi satellite station had reached the site of the incident soon after receiving the alert.\n\nRailways Minister Hanif Abbasi also confirmed to _Dawn_ that a person had lost their life in the incident, saying that he was a temporary employee of the Pakistan Railways (PR) and that he was aboard the goods train and not Shalimar Express. “He was travelling covertly in the last wagon,” he said.\n\nHe claimed that none of the passengers aboard Shalimar Express were either killed or injured in the accident.\n\nSources earlier told _Dawn_ that as Shalimar Express approached Lakha Road Station, the interlocking system was set such that the train veered toward a loop line, where a goods train was parked. Subsequently, the driver immediately applied the brakes, but the train eventually collided with the parked train, they said.\n\nAs a result, the passenger train’s locomotive and several coaches were derailed and capsized.\n\nShalimar Express’s driver, Haji Fayyaz, also told _Dawn_ that “our _kanta_ (interlocking /signalling system) was set for the loop line, whereas we had to pass the station without stopping”.\n\n“The brake also did not work properly, and the signal was also red,” he said.\n\nAccording to sources, traffic on the main line was disrupted due to the collision, and a relief train was dispatched to the accident site for the removal of the damaged locomotive, coaches and wagons.\n\n## Inquiry ordered\n\nMinister Abbasi confirmed to _Dawn_ that an inquiry had been ordered into the incident and that it would be conducted by the federal government officer of railways, who is a grade-20 officer.\n\nPR Chief Executive Officer Amir Ali Baloch said while speaking to _Dawn_ that he believed the driver’s negligence caused the accident.\n\nThe CEO said that if one of the two signals was red, it meant that the driver was supposed to stop. “And if the interlocking system was set for the loop line, the driver should have understood that he was supposed to stop,” he added.\n\nBut, he continued, anything could only be said with certainty after the inquiry.",
"title": "1 dead, 13 injured as Shalimar Express derails after colliding with goods train in Naushahro Feroze: Rescue 1122"
}