{
  "$type": "site.standard.document",
  "bskyPostRef": {
    "cid": "bafyreidfnqr4lg27wbvtzzr4knyrdumxvad5q33dluvgxel57tisxmauci",
    "uri": "at://did:plc:qdzcgmgri7npfs46puqpnnjo/app.bsky.feed.post/3mf2s62om4c62"
  },
  "coverImage": {
    "$type": "blob",
    "ref": {
      "$link": "bafkreihfzvtu2c5zt7q5zxgo2nfyixovmcbhbmgdgystamxomuarxbvavm"
    },
    "mimeType": "image/webp",
    "size": 24306
  },
  "path": "/news/1973912/khamenei-says-us-will-not-succeed-in-destroying-iran",
  "publishedAt": "2026-02-17T13:50:28.000Z",
  "site": "https://www.dawn.com",
  "tags": [
    "World",
    "first round",
    "Iran-Israel war",
    "aircraft carrier group",
    "crackdown",
    "joined"
  ],
  "textContent": "Iran’s supreme leader Ayatollah Ali Khamenei said on Tuesday that US President Donald Trump would not succeed in destroying the Islamic republic, as talks between the two countries took place in Geneva.\n\n“In one of his recent speeches, the US president said that for 47 years America has not succeeded in destroying the Islamic republic … I tell you: you will not succeed either,” Khamenei said in a speech.\n\nThe remarks came as Tehran and Washington engaged in a second round of talks on Tuesday.\n\nThe first round was held earlier in February, after previous talks collapsed during last year’s Iran-Israel war.\n\nThe latest discussions come after Washington deployed an aircraft carrier group to the Gulf following Iran’s deadly crackdown last month on anti-government protests, which were triggered by economic hardship.\n\nDuring his speech, Khamenei warned that the US warship deployed in the Gulf could be sunk.\n\n“We constantly hear that they have sent a warship towards Iran. A warship is certainly a dangerous weapon, but even more dangerous is the weapon capable of sinking it,” he said.\n\nKhamenei expressed skepticism over the outcome of the negotiations with the US.\n\n“If there are to be negotiations — because there is no real room for negotiation — determining the outcome of the negotiations in advance is a mistake and madness,” he said, referring to US calls for Iran to abandon its nuclear programme.\n\nDuring Iran’s 12-day war with Israel in June, the United States joined briefly with strikes on key Iranian nuclear facilities.\n\nIran’s stockpile of enriched uranium, which had reached 60 per cent purity before the war, remains among the key sticking points between Tehran and Washington.\n\nThe US has repeatedly called for zero enrichment, but has also sought to address Iran’s ballistic missile programme and its support for militant groups in the region — issues which Israel has pushed to include in the talks.\n\nOn Tuesday, the _Fars_ news agency quoted Khamenei as saying that the issue of Iran’s missile programme “does not concern it (the US) at all”.\n\nIran has insisted the talks be focused only on the nuclear issue and says its right to enrich uranium is non-negotiable.\n\n“The statements of the American president, at times threatening and at times dictating what should and should not be done, reveal a desire to dominate the Iranian nation,” Khamenei said.",
  "title": "Khamenei says US ‘will not succeed’ in destroying Iran"
}