{
"$type": "site.standard.document",
"bskyPostRef": {
"cid": "bafyreifkadcazpp7jisxemznltst5ma47fkusy4pffewvatoprdvcwnnti",
"uri": "at://did:plc:qdzcgmgri7npfs46puqpnnjo/app.bsky.feed.post/3meizzkodsnz2"
},
"coverImage": {
"$type": "blob",
"ref": {
"$link": "bafkreiflrv2tjjr7efajk5tskn4fcyxcrj46q6knmojcuf3avtqcgkrmsa"
},
"mimeType": "image/webp",
"size": 31810
},
"path": "/news/1972277/only-purpose-was-to-get-respect-for-bangladesh-says-pcb-chief-naqvi-after-talks-with-icc",
"publishedAt": "2026-02-10T12:35:47.000Z",
"site": "https://www.dawn.com",
"tags": [
"Sport",
"announced",
"negotiations",
"consultations",
"announced",
"_replaced_",
"_refusal_",
"_refused_",
"_replaced_",
"_remained firm_",
"_rejected_",
"_request_",
"_gave its cricket team the nod_",
"_reported_",
"_asked_",
"_consult_",
"phone call"
],
"textContent": "Pakistan Cricket Board (PCB) Chairman Mohsin Naqvi on Tuesday said in the context of his recent engagements with Bangladesh Cricket Board (BCB) and International Cricket Council (ICC) officials that the purpose was to “get respect for Bangladesh”.\n\nNaqvi said this while speaking to the media in Peshawar, a day after the government announced it was withdrawing its decision to boycott the group-stage match against India in the T20 World Cup, scheduled for February 15.\n\nThe development followed protracted negotiations between the ICC, the cricket boards of Pakistan and Bangladesh, consultations among national leaders and interventions by friendly nations such as Sri Lanka and the United Arab Emirates.\n\nThe now-withdrawn decision to boycott the match against arch-rival India was announced by the government on February 1 after Bangladesh were _replaced_ by Scotland in the tournament, following their _refusal_ to tour India over safety concerns in the wake of soured political relations between the Asian neighbours.\n\nThe matter was raised during Naqvi’s media talk in Peshawar on Tuesday, where he was asked about several conditions that were reportedly put forward during his meeting with the ICC and BCB officials on Sunday.\n\nIn his response, Naqvi said: “We did not discuss anything apart from Bangladesh; our only purpose was to get Bangladesh respect, to highlight the injustice done to them.\n\n“And you saw that whatever demands Bangladesh made, they were accepted. That’s it.”\n\nHe added, “We had no personal interest in the meeting … our task was purely related to Bangladesh. The government made the decision on that [basis]. When their demands have been accepted, and it has been acknowledged that injustice was done to them, we are playing after that.”\n\nThe developments unfolded as the ongoing T20 World Cup, co-hosted by India and Sri Lanka, began on February 7. It was, however, overshadowed by an acrimonious political build-up after Bangladesh, who _refused_ to play in India citing security concerns, were _replaced_ by Scotland.\n\nBangladesh _remained firm_ on not taking part in the event after the ICC _rejected_ their _request_ to move their matches to Sri Lanka.\n\nAfter mulling its stance, Pakistan _gave its cricket team the nod_ to participate in the World Cup, but said the Green Shirts would not play their match with arch-rivals India, scheduled to be held in Colombo.\n\nIn response to the development, even before the official communication from the PCB, the ICC, in a statement, said the position of “selective participation is difficult to reconcile with the fundamental premise of a global sporting event where all qualified teams are expected to compete on equal terms per the event schedule”.\n\nIt expressed the hope that the PCB would consider the significant and long-term implications for cricket in its own country. Subsequently, it was _reported_ last week that the ICC had initiated back-channel efforts to resolve the issue and avoid significant financial losses.\n\nSri Lanka’s cricket board had also _asked_ Pakistan to reconsider the decision to boycott the match with India.\n\nMeanwhile, skipper Salman Agha stated that if Pakistan were to face India in a semi-final or final, they would again _consult_ the government.\n\nOn Sunday, the BCB chief and ICC Deputy Chair Imran Khawaja landed in Lahore and held a long meeting with Naqvi.\n\nA day later, Sri Lankan President Dissanayake also urged Pakistan to play its T20 World Cup clash against India in a phone call with Prime Minister Shehbaz Sharif. Meanwhile, BCB President Aminul Islam urged Pakistan to play the match against India.\n\nThe government then announced the withdrawal of its earlier decision to boycott the match against India while an ICC statement said “that no financial, sporting or administrative penalty will be imposed on Bangladesh Cricket Board”.\n\nThe statement also said that to compensate Dhaka, it was agreed that the country would host an ICC event prior to the ICC Men’s Cricket World Cup 2031.",
"title": "Only purpose was to get respect for Bangladesh, says PCB chief Naqvi after talks with ICC"
}