{
"$type": "site.standard.document",
"bskyPostRef": {
"cid": "bafyreidecspwfsesqjtrcvupbiptssmo7boo2viuedu2pw7idwvxp2cdqe",
"uri": "at://did:plc:qdzcgmgri7npfs46puqpnnjo/app.bsky.feed.post/3meayepnanxd2"
},
"coverImage": {
"$type": "blob",
"ref": {
"$link": "bafkreih6iy3xbcngsq7u7assnvomtgpdrxws4us2c7h2m5uhrrrkdnl5pa"
},
"mimeType": "image/webp",
"size": 58232
},
"path": "/news/1971626/death-toll-from-islamabad-imambargah-attack-rises-to-36-victims-laid-to-rest",
"publishedAt": "2026-02-07T07:46:51.000Z",
"site": "https://www.dawn.com",
"tags": [
"Pakistan",
"imambargah attack",
"blast at an imambargah"
],
"textContent": "ISLAMABAD: The death toll from the Islamabad imambargah attack rose to 36 on Saturday, a spokesperson at the Pakistan Institute of Medical Sciences (Pims) confirmed.\n\nThe attack occurred at Imambargah Qasr-i-Khadijatul Kubra on the city’s outskirts. The death toll was expected to rise.\n\n“A 21-year-old man, who was brought from the imambargah, died,” said Dr Aneeza Jalil while speaking to _Dawn_. She added that nine of the injured are in “very serious condition”.\n\n“The number of deaths has reached 33, and nine patients are in very serious condition.”\n\nShe further stated that 149 injured and 28 bodies were brought to Pims on Friday following the attack.\n\nSeparately, HBS Hospital’s Dr Riaz Janjua confirmed to _Dawn_ that three deaths from the attack were reported at his hospital.\n\n## Victims laid to rest\n\nFunerals are taking place on Saturday for some of the victims of a suicide blast at an imambargah in Islamabad during Friday prayers.\n\n“The attacker was stopped at the gate and detonated himself,” a security source told _AFP_.\n\nMuhammad Kazim, 52, said an “extremely powerful” explosion ripped through the building as prayers were just starting.\n\nAnother worshipper, Imran Mahmood, told _AFP_ there was a gunfight between the bomber and volunteer security personnel at the mosque.\n\nMourners carry the coffin of a victim of the Islamabad imambargah attack on February 7, 2026. — AFP\n\n“The suicide attacker was trying to move forward, but one of our injured volunteers fired at him from behind, hitting him in the thigh,” he told _AFP_.\n\nHe then “detonated the explosives”, Mahmood added.\n\nFriday’s attack was the deadliest in the Pakistani capital since September 2008, when 60 people were killed in a suicide truck bomb blast that destroyed part of the five-star Marriott hotel.\n\n**Suicide bomber’s identity**\n\nSources close to the investigation told Dawn that the attacker — whose severed head was found at the crime scene — had been identified as a resident of Gunj, in the walled city of Peshawar. They said that forensic investigators tracked his identity through the Nadra database.\n\nPreliminary investigation suggested that he was linked to the IS militant group and had travelled to Afghanistan multiple times.\n\nThe Peshawar police are also being approached to interrogate the family and the relatives of the suicide bomber and collect the other relevant details.\n\nInvestigators said that all angles are being probed in this regard, and geo-fencing of the area was being conducted to identify other suspects.\n\nAuthorities were conducting forensic sweeps of the crime scene, while CCTV footage from nearby cameras has been obtained to track the attackers.\n\nWhen approached, a senior Khyber Pakhtunkhwa police official told Dawn that they were making a lot of progress in the investigation.\n\nAnother source said that raids were being conducted, and that some of the suspected bomber’s relatives had been picked up in Nowshera.\n\n_Additional input from AFP_",
"title": "Death toll from Islamabad imambargah attack rises to 36; victims laid to rest"
}