{
  "$type": "site.standard.document",
  "bskyPostRef": {
    "cid": "bafyreid4tcyfj3ujjr5lnq52p6ltqg47vauwlmvme534kpin5ft6wf32wu",
    "uri": "at://did:plc:qdzcgmgri7npfs46puqpnnjo/app.bsky.feed.post/3me6zevzbahd2"
  },
  "coverImage": {
    "$type": "blob",
    "ref": {
      "$link": "bafkreic4lxbzzjkpvq74ns4we2scvoblvra5te7a53tamlyzfkqn4lcjtq"
    },
    "mimeType": "image/webp",
    "size": 34316
  },
  "path": "/news/1971418/at-least-31-killed-169-injured-in-suicide-bombing-at-islamabad-imambargah",
  "publishedAt": "2026-02-06T13:32:12.000Z",
  "site": "https://www.dawn.com",
  "tags": [
    "Pakistan",
    "suicide blast"
  ],
  "textContent": "ISLAMABAD: At least 31 people were killed and another 169 injured in a suicide bombing at an imambargah during Friday prayers in Islamabad, according to authorities.\n\nThe explosion occurred at Imambargah Khadijah-tul-Kubra in the Tarlai area of the federal capital.\n\nImages from the site showed bloodied bodies lying on the carpeted floor surrounded by shards of glass, debris, and panicked worshippers.\n\nDozens more wounded were lying in the garden outside the imambargah as people called for help.\n\nDefence Minister Khawaja Asif suggested India’s and Afghanistan’s involvement in the attack, stating in a post on social media platform X that “it has been proved the terrorist involved in the attack travelled to and from Afghanistan. The collusion between India and Afghanistan is being revealed.”\n\n> \n\nThe defence minister said that security guards at the site of the incident had “challenged” the attacker, and in response, he opened fire. “He then blew himself up, standing in the last row of worshippers.”\n\nAsif said that the state would respond to this “cruelty with full force”.\n\n“After a humiliating defeat, India is fighting a war through its proxies. It doesn’t have the courage to fight directly now,” he added.\n\nParliamentary Affairs Minister Tariq Fazal Chaudhry also said that “India is behind” the incident.\n\nSpeaking to the media at Polyclinic Hospital in Islamabad, he expressed the resolve to eliminate terrorism from Pakistan.\n\nThe minister further said that Pakistan had always promoted peace and wanted peace in the region. But, he added, Pakistan’s neighbours had been involved in terror activities in the country.\n\nIn this connection, the minister particularly mentioned India, saying that it was involved in “terrorism activities in Balochistan, Fata and in the incident that took place in Islamabad today”.\n\n“We have exposed them to the world,” he said, adding that the nation was united against such “cowardly acts and enemies”.\n\n“The fight against them (terrorists) will continue until they are eliminated,” he expressed resolve.\n\nThe minister said injured and the dead had been taken to Pims and Polyclinic Hospital, and emergencies had been declared in hospitals across Islamabad.\n\nAccording to Islamabad Capital Territory Police Spokesperson Taqi Jawad, the cousin of Islamabad Inspector General of Police (IGP) Syed Ali Nasir Rizvi was among the deceased while another of his relatives had been injured.\n\nMeanwhile, the district administration spokesperson said the site of the blast was completely sealed off by security personnel, and added that assistant commissioners were assigned to oversee the treatment of the injured at various hospitals.\n\nPolice and Rescue 1122 personnel reached the site of the incident and initiated rescue operations soon after the blast.\n\nSecurity personnel stand guard outside an imambargah following an explosion, in Islamabad on February 6, 2026. —AFP\n\n## Pindi police on high alert; Punjab CM dispatches ambulances\n\nIn view of the prevailing security situation, Rawalpindi police were placed on high-alert, according to a statement by the police spokesperson.\n\n“Security duties are being checked and [officials are being] briefed at imambargahs, mosques and other places across the city,” the statement read.\n\nAccording to the statement, the police officials held meetings with the administrators and the guardians of the religious places and informed them about security standard operating procedures and the measures taken in this regard.\n\nPunjab Chief Minister Maryam Nawaz, in a post on X, said the provincial government had dispatched 25 ambulances to Islamabad.\n\n> \n\nShe added that all hospitals across Rawalpindi district had been placed on high alert with “surgical teams, anesthetists, orthopedic and neurosurgical specialists on standby”.\n\n“Blood banks are fully staffed, and operation theatres are fully equipped to ensure prompt and effective medical care for the injured.”\n\nMaryam added that the commissioner and deputy commissioner of Rawalpindi were also instructed to extend every possible assistance.\n\nThe attack comes as Uzbekistan President Shavkat Mirziyoyev is currently visiting Pakistan.\n\n## President, PM condemn blast\n\nSeparately, President Asif Ali Zardari extended condolences to the victims who lost their lives in the blast, according to a statement issued by the PPP on X.\n\nHe expressed grief over the incident, saying, “Targeting innocent civilians is a crime against humanity”.\n\nThe president prayed for the speedy recovery of the injured and directed that all possible medical facilities be provided to them.\n\n> \n\nPrime Minister Shehbaz Sharif also condemned the blast, according to a statement. He expressed grief over the deaths in the blast and expressed sympathy with the bereaved.\n\nIn a meeting with Interior Minister Mohsin Naqvi, the prime minister directed him to complete the investigation of the incident and immediately identify the people responsible for it.\n\nHe directed that “the injured be provided best medical facilities and the health minister will monitor” the situation, the statement quoted him as saying.\n\n“No one will be allowed to disseminate chaos and unrest in the country,” he said.\n\n> \n\nDeputy Prime Minister and Foreign Minister Ishaq Dar also condemned the “cowardly suicide attack on innocent worshippers during Friday prayers at a Shia imambargah in Islamabad, killing dozens”.\n\n“Targeting places of worship and civilians is a heinous crime against humanity and a blatant violation of Islamic principles,” he said.\n\nDar further said, “Pakistan stands united against terrorism in all its forms. This barbarity will not intimidate us and extremists will be brought to full account.”\n\n> \n\nToday’s incident comes less than three months after a suicide blast outside a district and sessions court building in Islamabad’s G-11 area on November 11, 2025. Twelve people were killed and more than 30 were injured in the blast.\n\n* * *\n\n_This is a developing story that is being updated as the situation evolves. Initial reports in the media can sometimes be inaccurate. We will strive to ensure timeliness and accuracy by relying on credible sources, such as concerned, qualified authorities and our staff reporters._\n\n* * *\n\n_Additional input from Mohammad Asghar._",
  "title": "At least 31 killed, 169 injured in suicide bombing at Islamabad imambargah"
}