{
"$type": "site.standard.document",
"coverImage": {
"$type": "blob",
"ref": {
"$link": "bafkreig5sdej6mouyykvueow5wu25iqmea5426zx54wk3k3sryt627mi2i"
},
"mimeType": "image/webp",
"size": 24622
},
"path": "/news/1971233/provision-of-maximum-security-to-chinese-nationals-top-priority-interior-minister-tells-envoy",
"publishedAt": "2026-02-05T16:32:10.000Z",
"site": "https://www.dawn.com",
"tags": [
"Pakistan",
"_spate of attacks_",
"_several days_",
"data shared"
],
"textContent": "Interior Minister Mohsin Naqvi held an “important meeting” with Chinese Ambassador Jiang Zaidong in Islamabad on Thursday and told him that providing “maximum security” to Chinese nationals was Pakistan’s top priority.\n\nA press release issued by he interior ministry detailed the exchange that took place during the Chinese envoy’s visit to the ministry, where Naqvi also briefed him about the situation in Balochistan.\n\nThe province saw a _spate of attacks_ on January 31, which brought parts of the restive province to a standstill for _several days_ while security forces carried out retaliatory action.\n\nMeanwhile, Chinese citizens and projects have also come under attack multiple times in Pakistan in the past, including in Balochistan. According to data shared by the National Counter Terrorism Authority in December 2024, as many as 20 Chinese citizens had been killed and 34 injured in terror attacks in the country from 2021 until then.\n\n> \n\nDuring his meeting with Naqvi today, the Chinese envoy condemned the terrorist attacks on civilians and security forces in Balochistan and expressed heartfelt sympathy and condolences to the affected families, the interior ministry’s statement said.\n\nIt quoted the envoy as saying that “China stands in complete solidarity with the victims in this hour of grief. China condemns terrorism in all its forms and stands firmly with Pakistan in the fight against terrorism”.\n\nFor his part, Naqvi conveyed to Zaidong that terrorism in Balochistan was carried out under an “organised and premeditated plan, and that the security forces responded in a timely and effective manner”.\n\nHe briefed the Chinese ambassador on the prompt and effective operations conducted by security forces in Balochistan, the ministry’s statement said, adding that Naqvi also briefed the envoy on measures taken for the protection of Chinese citizens and Chinese projects.\n\n“The safety of Chinese citizens and projects is of paramount importance. No enemy can undermine the Pakistan–China friendship. Providing maximum security to Chinese nationals is our top priority,” the statement quoted the interior minister as saying.\n\nThe statement said that a special protection unit was being established for the security of Chinese nationals and modern Chinese technology and equipment would prove supportive for coordinated counter-terrorism operations.\n\nNaqvi also briefed the Chinese ambassador on his recent successful visit to China.\n\nDuring the meeting, detailed discussions were held on counter-terrorism, internal security, and security cooperation. Both sides agreed to enhance cooperation in intelligence sharing and the field of cybercrime, the statement said.\n\nIt said that the interior minister and Zaidong reaffirmed their resolve to further strengthen the Pakistan–China strategic partnership.\n\n“The Chinese ambassador thanked Pakistan for the security measures taken for Chinese nationals,” the statement said, adding that Naqvi expressed his gratitude to the Chinese ambassador for China’s unwavering support for Pakistan on every occasion.",
"title": "Provision of ‘maximum security’ to Chinese nationals top priority, interior minister tells envoy"
}