{
"$type": "site.standard.document",
"coverImage": {
"$type": "blob",
"ref": {
"$link": "bafkreihm2h5ano3l6s37wiscat2hhkw3myt53uicfui5yig6fpm67yci4i"
},
"mimeType": "image/webp",
"size": 107738
},
"path": "/news/1971239/train-services-restored-in-balochistan-after-5-days-mobile-data-still-suspended-in-quetta",
"publishedAt": "2026-02-05T11:02:19.000Z",
"site": "https://www.dawn.com",
"tags": [
"Pakistan",
"attacks",
"_“mop-up” actions_",
"January 31 attacks",
"Operation Radd-ul-Fitna-1",
"_derailed four bogies_",
"_October_",
"_November_",
"_Kachhi_",
"_Shikarpur_"
],
"textContent": "QUETTA: Train services were restored in Balochistan on Thursday, after five days of suspension, as the tense security situation eased following a series of counter-terrorism operations in response to a spate of attacks in the province.\n\nHowever, mobile data services remained suspended for the sixth day in Quetta and some other districts.\n\n“Train services within Balochistan and to other provinces have been,” Muhammad Kashif, spokesperson for Pakistan Railways’ Quetta division, confirmed to _Dawn_.\n\nHe particularly mentioned that the services of the Jaffar Express train on the Quetta-Peshawar route and the Karachi-bound Bolan Mail had been suspended since January 31.\n\nThe railway official added that both had been restored now.\n\nHe further said that operations of the Quetta-Chaman passenger train had also resumed, and it departed today at its scheduled time.\n\nOn the other hand, mobile data services remained suspended in the provincial capital for the sixth consecutive day.\n\nThe mobile internet was still inaccessible in Quetta, Balochistan Additional Chief Secretary Hamza Shafqaat told _Dawn_. However, it was expected to be restored till 12am, he said.\n\nMobile data also reportedly remained suspended in the Nushki, Sibi and Mastung districts.\n\nThe services have also been inaccessible for those in Kalat, Khuzdar, Awaran, Panjgur and Turbat for varying periods due to prior security concerns.\n\nAfter several days of _“mop-up” actions_ in some parts in the wake of January 31 attacks, the military announced earlier today that security forces successfully concluded “Operation Radd-ul-Fitna-1” in Balochistan, killing a total of 216 terrorists.\n\nThe Inter-Services Public Relations (ISPR) said 36 civilians, including women and children, and 22 security forces and law enforcement agencies’ personnel were martyred as a result of the operations.\n\n“[…] a broader series of intelligence-based operations were launched in multiple areas to dismantle terrorist sleeper cells through sustained combing and sanitisation operations,” the ISPR detailed.\n\nOn January 31, police said suspected explosive materials were found on a railway track in Balochistan’s Nasirabad district.\n\nRailway tracks are a frequent target of terrorists, with the Jaffar Express coming under attack several times over the past year.\n\nOn the night of January 26, a blast on the railway track linking Sindh to Balochistan _derailed four bogies_ of the Quetta-bound Jaffar Express train coming from Peshawar and damaged the track.\n\nThe Jaffar Express had also escaped attacks in Nasirabad in _October_and _November_ last year. Similar attempts also occurred during the two months in _Kachhi_ and Sindh’s _Shikarpur_ district.",
"title": "Train services restored in Balochistan after 5 days; mobile data still suspended in Quetta"
}