{
  "$type": "site.standard.document",
  "bskyPostRef": {
    "cid": "bafyreicfkwpzhp6e6kvbihup76h37und6qydkt5chkmqdzudvizrdlpwqi",
    "uri": "at://did:plc:psocqub4rb4dlzcbpukyqynd/app.bsky.feed.post/3mjna6cbjrrv2"
  },
  "coverImage": {
    "$type": "blob",
    "ref": {
      "$link": "bafkreifllvqqb3o6ex3gmvhkvkfppzntdpyzscil22kqqiew3h2ycbmcfy"
    },
    "mimeType": "image/jpeg",
    "size": 95020
  },
  "path": "/news/trump-white-house-ballroom-judge-who-halted-construction-allows-national-security-work-continue",
  "publishedAt": "2026-04-16T16:41:03.000Z",
  "site": "https://www.fox5dc.com",
  "tags": [
    "df844aad-94b2-5e61-beed-8d4c02e901a4",
    "wttg",
    "FOX 5 DC",
    "fts/news",
    "fts/people/donald-j-trump",
    "fts/us/dc",
    "news",
    "article",
    "Trump's White House ballroom wins approval from planning commission",
    "Trump says military building 'massive complex' beneath new White House ballroom"
  ],
  "textContent": "A federal judge who halted construction of President Donald Trump’s $400 million White House ballroom clarified Thursday that the administration may continue below‑ground work tied to national security at the site.\n\n**RELATED:** Trump's White House ballroom wins approval from planning commission\n\nU.S. District Judge Richard Leon issued the updated ruling several days after an appeals court directed him to reconsider the national security implications of stopping construction.\n\nGovernment lawyers argued the project includes critical security features designed to guard against threats such as drones, ballistic missiles and biohazards.\n\nLeon had previously barred work from moving forward without congressional approval but suspended enforcement of that order for two weeks. The appeals court extended the stay until Friday.\n\n**READ MORE:** Trump says military building 'massive complex' beneath new White House ballroom\n\nIn his clarification, Leon said only above‑ground construction of the ballroom must stop, except for work needed to cover or secure the area.\n\nHe said the administration may continue excavations and construction of bunkers, military installations and medical facilities beneath the ballroom.\n\n\"Defendants argue that the entire ballroom construction project, from tip to tail, falls within the safety-and-security exception and therefore may proceed unabated,\" the judge wrote. \"That is neither a reasonable nor a correct reading of my Order!\"",
  "title": "Trump White House Ballroom: Judge who halted construction allows national security work to continue"
}