{
"$type": "site.standard.document",
"bskyPostRef": {
"cid": "bafyreicglmuvas4bsyl4qmfznzit3tan2yoinieteal66mpnun255r7yki",
"uri": "at://did:plc:psocqub4rb4dlzcbpukyqynd/app.bsky.feed.post/3mfab3hx4r5y2"
},
"coverImage": {
"$type": "blob",
"ref": {
"$link": "bafkreiedghaxbhhezez2bq56gkp57llex4qzzsstxloh4ijeuj2amhfnxy"
},
"mimeType": "image/jpeg",
"size": 74917
},
"path": "/news/former-prince-andrew-arrested-suspicion-misconduct-public-office",
"publishedAt": "2026-02-19T11:04:17.000Z",
"site": "https://www.fox5dc.com",
"tags": [
"782d07fe-2b1f-5e50-ae1d-9bb96b1db9ad",
"wttg",
"FOX 5 DC",
"fts/news",
"fts/crime-publicsafety/crime-in-the-dmv",
"news",
"article"
],
"textContent": "Andrew Mountbatten‑Windsor, the former British prince stripped of his royal titles over his ties to convicted sex offender Jeffrey Epstein, was arrested Thursday on suspicion of misconduct in public office.\n\nMountbatten‑Windsor has long denied wrongdoing, but questions about his relationship with Epstein have shadowed the royal family for more than a decade.\n\nThames Valley Police said a man in his 60s from Norfolk was arrested and remained in custody. The force did not identify him which is standard practice in Britain. But it pointed to its statement when asked whether Andrew had been detained.\n\nMountbatten‑Windsor, who turned 66 on Thursday, recently moved to King Charles III’s estate in Norfolk after being evicted from his longtime home near Windsor Castle.\n\nFollowing the arrest, Charles said the investigation must take its course.\n\nPolice previously said they were reviewing reports that Mountbatten‑Windsor sent confidential trade documents to Epstein in 2010, when he served as Britain’s special envoy for international trade. The allegations stem from correspondence found among millions of pages of U.S. Justice Department documents released last month.\n\n\"Following a thorough assessment, we have now opened an investigation into this allegation of misconduct in public office,'' Assistant Chief Constable Oliver Wright said in a statement. \"We understand the significant public interest in this case, and we will provide updates at the appropriate time.\"\n\nThe arrest followed images circulating online that appeared to show unmarked police vehicles at Wood Farm on the Sandringham Estate, with plainclothes officers gathered outside Mountbatten‑Windsor’s home.\n\nIn a statement, Charles reiterated that he would cooperate with the investigation. \"Let me state clearly: the law must take its course,\" the king said. \"As this process continues, it would not be right for me to comment further on this matter.\"\n\nThe statement, signed Charles R., also sought to distance the monarchy from his brother. \"My family and I will continue in our duty and service to you all,\" he said.\n\nQueen Elizabeth II removed Andrew from public duties in 2019 after his widely criticized BBC interview attempting to explain his ties to Epstein.\n\nMore details about their relationship surfaced in a book published last year, prompting Charles to strip him of the right to use his prince title and order him to relocate.\n\nLast week, Buckingham Palace said it would cooperate with any police inquiry into Andrew’s links to Epstein.\n\nThe move came after the U.S. Justice Department released millions of pages of Epstein‑related documents showing the extent of his correspondence with Mountbatten‑Windsor, including exchanges that continued long after Epstein pleaded guilty in 2008 to soliciting a minor for prostitution.\n\nEpstein was arrested on federal sex‑trafficking charges in 2019 and died by suicide in jail while awaiting trial.",
"title": "Former Prince Andrew arrested on suspicion of misconduct in public office"
}