US ‘preparing’ fresh wave of strikes on Iran as Donald Trump skips own son’s wedding
US officials are said to be preparing for a fresh wave of military strikes against Iran amid President Donald Trump's omission from his own son’s wedding.
No final decision on launching military action had been taken as of Friday afternoon, though preparations were actively underway, CBS News have reported.
Washington reportedly delivered what officials described as a "final offer" to Tehran on Wednesday, warning that rejecting the proposal could trigger renewed military action.
The US and Iran have largely avoided direct confrontation since a ceasefire came into effect in early April, allowing for negotiations to take place in a bid to achieve a long-term agreement.
TRENDING
Stories
Videos
Your Say
"Iran is dying to make a deal... We'll see what happens," Mr Trump said on Friday.
The President also announced on social media that "circumstances pertaining to Government" would prevent him from attending Donald Trump Jr’s wedding this weekend.
Mr Trump had originally planned to spend Memorial Day weekend at his New Jersey golf resort but is now expected to return to the White House instead.
Multiple sources told US media that military and intelligence personnel had cancelled weekend leave amid preparations for possible operations.
Defence officials have also begun updating recall rosters at US military bases overseas as troops continue rotating out of the Middle East amid fears of Iranian retaliation if hostilities resume.
Iran’s Revolutionary Guard Corps warned on Wednesday that any renewed US or Israeli strikes could dramatically widen the conflict beyond the Middle East.
The military force threatened to deliver "crushing blows in places you cannot even imagine".
Tehran is currently reviewing the latest American proposal, which aims to bring an end to a conflict that has now stretched close to three months and severely disrupted global energy markets.
IRAN - READ THE LATEST:
- Future of ANOTHER UK overseas territory under threat as Cyprus warns island ‘must not be target’
- Iran 'months away' from restoring drones as Islamic Republic rebuilds arsenal
- Benjamin Netanyahu will do 'whatever I want him to do', says Donald Trump after crunch phone call
Pakistan has acted as an intermediary throughout the indirect talks, with Iran’s response expected shortly through diplomatic backchannels.
Secretary of State Marco Rubio confirmed the White House expected Tehran’s reply to arrive via Pakistan’s military leadership.
Mr Rubio also revealed discussions had taken place with Nato allies in Sweden over potentially reopening the Strait of Hormuz by force if Iran refuses to restore access voluntarily.
He described the option as "Plan B".
The Secretary of State insisted Mr Trump still preferred a diplomatic outcome over military escalation, while acknowledging negotiations remained difficult.
White House spokeswoman Anna Kelly said Mr Trump had "made his redlines abundantly clear - Iran can never possess a nuclear weapon, and they cannot keep their enriched uranium".
"The President has been clear about the consequences if Iran fails to make a deal," she added.
Meanwhile, House Republicans abandoned an effort on Thursday to pass legislation limiting presidential authority over military action against Iran after concluding they lacked enough support to force the measure through.
Our Standards: The GB News Editorial Charter
Discussion in the ATmosphere