{
  "$type": "site.standard.document",
  "bskyPostRef": {
    "cid": "bafyreibomznmxdokms6tcuvr6yqrbkdg7w23lsn7tc6ziqtwotugyihmfy",
    "uri": "at://did:plc:oznbnvgr7dmvddiyvr7dih52/app.bsky.feed.post/3mmabg6ssdmv2"
  },
  "coverImage": {
    "$type": "blob",
    "ref": {
      "$link": "bafkreiaz6scjcshihbrupe6lu6zwlqy4t4bmxb42ygszklapwiuhmlqqfa"
    },
    "mimeType": "image/jpeg",
    "size": 319882
  },
  "path": "/royal/prince-william-istanbul-support-aston-villa-european-final",
  "publishedAt": "2026-05-19T19:45:32.000Z",
  "site": "https://www.gbnews.com",
  "tags": [
    "roaring with emotion as the Villains smashed Premier League rivals Nottingham Forest",
    "England boss Thomas Tuchel, Villa manager Unai Emery, and Damian Vidagany, Director of Football Operations at Villa Park.",
    "Ezri Konsa shared the support his club have received from William",
    "King Charles and Queen Camilla greet Northern Irish First Minister and Deputy",
    "Prince and Princess of Wales award staff member with special honour",
    "King Charles and Queen Camilla arrive in Northern Ireland for surprise visit",
    "handed the illustrious trophy across to departing Manchester City legends Bernardo Silva and John Stones",
    "The GB News Editorial Charter"
  ],
  "textContent": "\n\n\nThe Prince of Wales is due to fly out to Istanbul to support his beloved Aston Villa tomorrow, as they face SC Freiburg in the Europa League Final.\n\nThe news has been confirmed by actor and comedian Matt Lucas, who spoke with Prince William today at an investiture ceremony.\n\n###\n\n\n\n\nThe Little Britain star received an OBE for services to drama at Windsor Castle.\n\nAs he received the prestigious honour, Mr Lucas spoke to the prince about football and whether he had managed to fit the game into his remarkably busy schedule.\n\n###\n\n\n\n\nTRENDING\n\nStories\n\nVideos\n\nYour Say\n\n###\n\n\n\n\n\"I asked him about football and whether he would be able to get to the cup final tomorrow that Aston Villa are playing in, and he said he can,\" the 52-year-old said.\n\n\"He asked me what I was up to workwise and said some kind things about my work.\"\n\nWilliam's connection and devotion to Villa run deep, having attended multiple matches that led to tomorrow's final, which presents the Birmingham-based club with the opportunity to lift major silverware for the first time in over 30 years.\n\nWhether Prince George, who has accompanied his father to Villa matches before, will also attend is yet unknown.\n\n###\n\n\n\n\n###\n\n\n\n\n###\n\n\n\n\nGeorge was absent when, earlier this month, the heir to the throne could be seen roaring with emotion as the Villains smashed Premier League rivals Nottingham Forest 4-0 in the semi-final at Villa Park.\n\nOn his trip up the M40, William rubbed shoulders with England boss Thomas Tuchel, Villa manager Unai Emery, and Damian Vidagany, Director of Football Operations at Villa Park.\n\nEarlier today, Villa and England defender Ezri Konsa shared the support his club have received from William ahead of their Europa League final.\n\n\"Ever since I joined, he has shown unreal support, coming into the changing room and showing us the utmost respect,\" the centre-back said.\n\n### LATEST ROYAL NEWS:\n\n\n\n\n  * King Charles and Queen Camilla greet Northern Irish First Minister and Deputy\n  * Prince and Princess of Wales award staff member with special honour\n  * King Charles and Queen Camilla arrive in Northern Ireland for surprise visit\n\n\n\n###\n\n\n\n\n###\n\n\n\n\n###\n\n\n\n\nHe revealed that William once described him as a \"Rolls-Royce\" – a compliment that clearly made an impression.\n\n\"That got stuck in my head and it's nice,\" he admitted.\n\nWilliam's trip to Turkey for tomorrow's crunch match will mark the second final he will attend in a matter of days.\n\nOn Sunday, in his role as President and Patron of the FA, the Prince of Wales observed the 145th edition of the FA Cup final - though his emotions were in check this time, given Villa were knocked out of the competition by Newcastle in the fourth round.\n\n###\n\n\n\n\n###\n\n\n\n\n###\n\n\n\n\nThe next King of England handed the illustrious trophy across to departing Manchester City legends Bernardo Silva and John Stones, after they overcame a stern Chelsea side 1-0.\n\nAnd William's footballing exploits will not slow down in the summer. Like many across the nation, he is undoubtedly looking forward to this year's Fifa World Cup.\n\nThe prince is expected to follow in his father's very recent footsteps and make the transatlantic trip to support the Three Lions, as they look to secure their first trophy of any magnitude since 1966.\n\n###\n\n\n\n\n**\n**\n\n**\n**\n\n**Our Standards: The GB News Editorial Charter**",
  "title": "Prince William heading to Istanbul to support Aston Villa in European final"
}