{
"$type": "site.standard.document",
"bskyPostRef": {
"cid": "bafyreigz353a7hai25mldbyre5ndygqthgoe2h2enxogbrbwkyenfygkc4",
"uri": "at://did:plc:oznbnvgr7dmvddiyvr7dih52/app.bsky.feed.post/3mlx26qjvomo2"
},
"coverImage": {
"$type": "blob",
"ref": {
"$link": "bafkreichdcdwioggqci4ypi2oicqtfb7et64dsuksja3rettxm2ozbbgge"
},
"mimeType": "image/png",
"size": 1473652
},
"path": "/celebrity/eurovision-2026-tv-broadcast-boycott-spain-ireland-slovenia",
"publishedAt": "2026-05-16T03:30:01.000Z",
"site": "https://www.gbnews.com",
"tags": [
"he was \"disgusted\" by the network's decision",
"Boy George breaks silence on Eurovision elimination after San Marino fails to make final: 'I'm sad'",
"Angela Scanlon sparks row with 'snide' Israel remark during Eurovision semi-final: 'Disgusted!'",
"Former UK Eurovision finalist slaps down calls for BBC to BOYCOTT contest amid Israel row",
"The GB News Editorial Charter"
],
"textContent": "\n\n\nPublic broadcasters in a handful of European countries have confirmed they will not televise this week's Eurovision Song Contest, following through on their boycott of the competition over Israel's continued participation.\n\nThe three nations, alongside the Netherlands and Iceland, withdrew from the 70th anniversary event in Vienna last year after the European Broadcasting Union declined to exclude Israel from competing.\n\n###\n\n\n\n\nThe countries confirmed not to broadcast the contest for their population are Spain, Ireland, and Slovenia.\n\nIreland's RTÉ stated that participation \"remains unconscionable given the appalling loss of lives in Gaza and the humanitarian crisis there, which continues to put the lives of so many civilians at risk\".\n\n###\n\n\n\n\nTRENDING\n\nStories\n\nVideos\n\nYour Say\n\n###\n\n\n\n\nSlovenia's RTV board chair, Natalija Gorščak, said that the decision was \"not any message against Jewish people\" but rather \"a message against [Benjamin] Netanyahu's state, and the politics of what Netanyahu is doing\".\n\nRather than broadcasting what Ms Gorščak termed \"the Eurovision circus\", Slovenia's national television will instead present a week-long programme series titled \"Voices of Palestine\", featuring Palestinian documentaries and feature films.\n\n\"We are showing the Israeli activists who fight for the rights of the Palestinians,\" Ms Gorščak told Politico.\n\nIrish viewers tuning in on Saturday evening will find a 1996 episode of Father Ted in place of the Grand Final - the classic sitcom instalment follows two priests attempting to write a song for a Eurovision-style competition.\n\n###\n\n\n\n\n###\n\n\n\n\n###\n\n\n\n\nEarlier on Thursday, RTÉ will air a travel programme featuring 1993 Eurovision winner Niamh Kavanagh in Norway.\n\nThe decision irked Father Ted creator Graham Linehan, who distanced himself from the Irish broadcaster's decision.\n\nMr Linehan said he was \"disgusted\" by the network's decision, and emphasised he didn't want to be associated with its \"disgusting antisemitism\".\n\nMeanwhile, Spain's RTVE has opted to screen its own musical programme, The House of Music, as an alternative to the final.\n\n### LATEST DEVELOPMENTS\n\n\n\n\n * Boy George breaks silence on Eurovision elimination after San Marino fails to make final: 'I'm sad'\n * Angela Scanlon sparks row with 'snide' Israel remark during Eurovision semi-final: 'Disgusted!'\n * Former UK Eurovision finalist slaps down calls for BBC to BOYCOTT contest amid Israel row - **EXCLUSIVE**\n\n\n\n###\n\n\n\n\n###\n\n\n\n\nDespite withdrawing from the competition, broadcasters in the Netherlands and Iceland have chosen to screen the contest for their audiences.\n\nThe five-nation boycott has resulted in just 35 countries taking part this year - the smallest field since the competition expanded its entry format in 2004.\n\nEurovision director Martin Green expressed hope that the absent nations would return, stating: \"We've got five members of our family missing this year. We miss them and we love them and we hope they come back.\"\n\nHe added that organisers would \"do anything in our power to find a pathway back\" for the boycotting broadcasters, whilst acknowledging the decision ultimately rests with them.\n\n\n###\n\n\n\n\n###\n\n\n\n\nThree countries - Bulgaria, Moldova and Romania - are returning to the contest this year, partially offsetting the withdrawals.\n\nIsraeli broadcaster KAN has defended its right to compete, with CEO Golan Yochpaz warning EBU members that \"a boycott may begin today with Israel, but no one knows where it will end or who else it may harm\".\n\nPresident Isaac Herzog welcomed his country's continued participation, posting on social media: \"Israel deserves to be represented on every stage around the world, a cause to which I am fully and actively committed.\"\n\nHowever, Amnesty International condemned the EBU's approach as \"an act of cowardice and an illustration of blatant double standards\", noting that Russia was suspended following its 2022 invasion of Ukraine.\n\n###\n\n\n\n\n###\n\n\n\n\nSecretary General Agnès Callamard argued that Israel's participation \"offers the country a platform to try to deflect attention from and normalise its ongoing genocide in the occupied Gaza Strip\".\n\n###\n\n\n\n\n\n\n\n\n\n\n**Our Standards: The GB News Editorial Charter**",
"title": "Which countries aren't showing Eurovision on TV? Every country refusing to broadcast Song Contest unveiled"
}