{
  "$type": "site.standard.document",
  "bskyPostRef": {
    "cid": "bafyreicv56axztze2z6iroy72t4l2xyiofbp3zvzjkj2ddsaz42hpmwmpy",
    "uri": "at://did:plc:oznbnvgr7dmvddiyvr7dih52/app.bsky.feed.post/3mlwg2nijhen2"
  },
  "coverImage": {
    "$type": "blob",
    "ref": {
      "$link": "bafkreiardsaneoueq6sufz5ni5ejrirm6wnnr2ro274gx2el5hs6rqz7vq"
    },
    "mimeType": "image/png",
    "size": 889876
  },
  "path": "/news/turkish-man-arrested-british-toddler-kidnapped-cyprus",
  "publishedAt": "2026-05-15T21:28:08.000Z",
  "site": "https://www.gbnews.com",
  "tags": [
    "Syrian man found guilty of raping a young woman in a portaloo on Bournemouth beach",
    "One of Britain's most wanted criminals arrested in Spain on same day public campaign launched",
    "Amazon driver who stole cat from family's front garden avoids prison",
    "The GB News Editorial Charter"
  ],
  "textContent": "\n\n\nA 29-year-old Turkish national has been arrested after the alleged abduction of a two-year-old boy from his British mother in Cyprus.\n\nThe toddler was allegedly taken from his mother, a British national, in the Turkish-occupied Northern Cypriot village of Apesia on Wednesday.\n\n###\n\n\n\n\nPolice in the territory apprehended the suspect and the young child after the mother made a public plea for assistance, claiming the man who \"kidnapped\" her son was his father.\n\nThe man, who was already the subject of an outstanding warrant for domestic violence offences dating back to last October, reportedly fled the scene with the help of a 53-year-old accomplice.\n\n###\n\n\n\n\nTRENDING\n\nStories\n\nVideos\n\nYour Say\n\n###\n\n\n\n\nAccording to local media reports, the accomplice was allegedly instructed to \"grab the child\" during the incident at the family residence.\n\nThe suspect is said to have arrived at her home without warning, pushed her into a swimming pool, and taken the boy before fleeing.\n\nThe 53-year-old suspected of aiding the man's escape was taken into custody on Wednesday evening.\n\nThe mother, who originally grew up in the West Midlands before relocating to Cyprus as a teenager, required hospital treatment for wounds to her head and ankle.\n\n###\n\n\n\n\n###\n\n\n\n\n###\n\n\n\n\nShe had previously fled to the Republic of Cyprus last October, alleging abuse, and subsequently lodged a formal complaint against her former partner.\n\nThe mother shared photographs showing injuries to her face, and has called for full support from the UK Government.\n\nPrior to her son being located, she told The Mail: \"My main concern is to get my child back. Both me and my son are British citizens.\n\n\"We expect the full support of the UK government towards its citizens, something we have yet to see.\"\n\n### LATEST DEVELOPMENTS\n\n\n\n\n  * Syrian man found guilty of raping a young woman in a portaloo on Bournemouth beach\n  * One of Britain's most wanted criminals arrested in Spain on same day public campaign launched\n  * Amazon driver who stole cat from family's front garden avoids prison\n\n\n\n###\n\n\n\n\nInvestigators believe the suspect crossed into Northern Cyprus through an unmonitored zone known as the Dhekelia Cantonment – a UK military base and British Overseas Territory where Cypriot police lack jurisdiction.\n\nA rental vehicle was discovered abandoned in Pergamos – a settlement situated within the UK Sovereign Base Area.\n\nNo physical barrier separates this area from the north, with authorities suspecting the man bypassed all official checkpoints.\n\nLefteris Kyriakou, Limassol Deputy Police Director, stated before the arrest: \"It appears that he entered from an uncontrolled point, and apparently from a point that is not controlled by the Republic, possibly from the British Bases.\n\n###\n\n\n\n\n###\n\n\n\n\n###\n\n\n\n\n\"Not from an official crossing point, from a point that is not a checkpoint, nor something that is controlled by us or by the British Bases.\"\n\nThe UK Foreign Office previously cautioned Northern Cyprus does not acknowledge dual British nationality, leaving limited options for recovering abducted children.\n\nAdditionally, the Turkish-occupied north is not party to the Hague Convention – safeguarding children from wrongful removal across international borders – and is recognised only by Turkey.\n\nThe mother's lawyer, Ioannis Michalaki, expressed confidence in the Republic of Cyprus' response, whilst urging Turkish Cypriot authorities to act.\n\nAn FCDO spokesman confirmed: \"We are providing support to a British national and are in contact with the local authorities.\"\n\n###\n\n\n\n\n**Our Standards: The GB News Editorial Charter**",
  "title": "Man arrested after British toddler 'kidnapped by father' in Cyprus"
}