External Publication
Visit Post

Real Madrid drama deepens as manager hits back after astonishing Kylian Mbappe comments

Home: Latest & breaking News | GB News [Unofficial] May 15, 2026
Source

Real Madrid manager Alvaro Arbeloa has publicly contradicted Kylian Mbappe after the forward sensationally claimed he had been told he is only the club's "fourth-choice striker".

The extraordinary exchange unfolded after Real Madrid's 2-0 victory over Real Oviedo on Thursday night, with tensions around Mbappe showing little sign of easing.

The France international returned from injury as a second-half substitute at the Santiago Bernabeu, replacing Gonzalo Garcia in the 69th minute after the youngster had put Real ahead before the break.

Jude Bellingham added a second goal to seal the win, but the main talking point came after the final whistle.

TRENDING

Stories

Videos

Your Say

Speaking to reporters, Mbappe insisted he was fully fit and suggested Arbeloa had informed him that he now sits behind Franco Mastantuono, Vinicius Junior and Gonzalo Garcia in the attacking pecking order.

"I'm 100 per cent fine," Mbappe said.

"I didn't play because the coach told me I'm the fourth striker in the squad behind Mastantuono, Vini and Gonzalo.

"I accept it and play the time I'm given. I think I played well.

"I was ready to start. I'm not angry with the manager, you always have to respect a coach's decision.

"I'll work hard to get back into the starting lineup."

Arbeloa, however, firmly denied ever making such a remark.

"I wish I had four forwards. I don't have four forwards, and I certainly didn't say anything like that to Mbappe," the Real boss said.

LATEST SPORTS NEWS:

  • Roy Keane explains blazing row with hotel chefs ahead of World Cup punditry gig
  • Jon Rahm makes gift promise after hitting volunteer in face at PGA Championship
  • Luke Humphries makes admission about his fiancée after reaching Premier League Finals Night

"Perhaps he misunderstood me. At no point did I tell him he was the fourth-choice striker.

"A player who was not even on the bench four days ago should not start today.

"It was not a final and it was not a do-or-die situation.

"I understand he wants to play, but this was the most logical decision based on his recent recovery."

Arbeloa then underlined that selection decisions rest solely with him.

"As long as I am the coach, I decide who plays and who does not. I do not care what their names are."

Mbappe's introduction was greeted by whistles from sections of the Bernabeu crowd, highlighting the scrutiny he has faced in recent weeks.

Despite the off-field drama, the France captain has been named in the France national football team squad for this summer's World Cup.

Real are a club in crisis with a series of fights taking place behind the scenes.

Club president Florentino Perez spoke out earlier this week, with the Los Blancos supremo suggesting he won't give up his power despite scrutiny over his position.

Our Standards: The GB News Editorial Charter

Discussion in the ATmosphere

Loading comments...