Keir Starmer hit by three back-to-back ministerial resignations as PM teeters on knife-edge
Sir Keir Starmer has been rocked by three ministerial resignations as the Prime Minister battles to save his premiership.
Safeguarding Minister Jess Phillips, Victims Minister Alex Davies-Jones and Communities Minister Miatta Fahnbulleh informed Sir Keir they were quitting their posts in Government.
The resignation letters, which included calls for Sir Keir to step down, came as Sir Keir told his Cabinet colleagues he was planning to stay on as Prime Minister.
Ms Phillips, who is a close ally of Health Secretary Wes Streeting, said: "I think you are a good man fundamentally, who cares about the right things, however I have seen first-hand how that is not enough.
TRENDING
Stories
Videos
Your Say
“The desire not to have an argument means we rarely make an argument, leaving opportunities for progress stalled and delayed.”
The Birmingham Yardley MP also accused Sir Keir's Government of failing to grasp the moment to protect children from sexual exploitation.
Ms Phillips added: “We could stop this abuse. It has taken me a year to get you to agree to even threaten to legislate in this space.
"Not legislate, just threaten. This is the definition of incremental change. Nothing bold about it. The announcement was meant to be in March.”
Meanwhile, Ms Davies-Jones used her resignation letter to issue a warning about Labour's "catastrophic" defeat in Wales last Thursday.
"We waited 14 years to get into power and change the lives of those we represent," the Pontypridd MP wrote.
"The time now is for bold, radical action. I implore you to act in the country’s interest and set out a timetable for your departure."
Ms Fahnbulleh, a close ally of ex-Labour leader Ed Miliband, used her letter to “urge the Prime Minister to do the right thing for the country and the party and set a timetable for an orderly transition”.
LATEST DEVELOPMENTS
- Wes Streeting warned ‘more to come’ from Peter Mandelson files could damage leadership ambitions
- Reform plots 'brutal' battle to stop Andy Burnham's march to No10 as PM's rival receives warning
- Labour minister pledges ‘we will stop the chaos’ after crunch Cabinet meeting
The Prime Minister faced his first wave of resignations late last night after five parliamentary private secretaries resigned.
Tom Rutland, Joe Morris, Sally Jameson, Naushabah Khan, and Melanie Ward publicly confirmed they were leaving their junior frontbench positions following Sir Keir's reset speech.
However, 103 Labour MPs have now signed a statement saying now is not the time for a leadership contest.
The letter said: "Last week we had a devastatingly tough set of election results.
"It shows we have a hard job ahead to win back trust from the electorate."
It added: "That job needs to start today – with all of us working together to deliver the change the country needs.
"We must focus on that. This is no time for a leadership contest."
Greater Manchester Mayor Andy Burnham looks poised to launch a leadership bid after travelling down to Westminster to meet Labour MPs.
Mr Burnham is rumoured to have found a seat in Greater Manchester, with Reform UK now hoping to stop the "King of the North" completing a coronation.
Health Secretary Wes Streeting is also expected to challenge Sir Keir for the top job.
However, Sir Keir defiantly told his Cabinet colleagues he will remain as Prime Minister this morning.
Sir Keir's allies immediately backed the Prime Minister after leaving No10, with Business Secretary Peter Kyle praising Sir Keir's "steadfast leadership".
Our Standards: The GB News Editorial Charter
Discussion in the ATmosphere