External Publication
Visit Post

Former darts star and broadcaster Mark Webster shares cancer diagnosis

Home: Latest & breaking News | GB News [Unofficial] May 6, 2026
Source

Former darts star and broadcaster Mark Webster has shared his cancer diagnosis.

The 42-year-old stepped away from broadcasting in February, with details of his medical condition initially not disclosed.

He has now shared that he was diagnosed with hairy cell leukaemia in January.

Speaking to Darts World, Webster said: "I never really added anything on it because I assumed I'd be back a lot sooner, but on January 8, I was diagnosed with a rare form of blood cancer called hairy cell leukaemia.

TRENDING

Stories

Videos

Your Say

"It sounds bad when you say leukaemia, but it's got a good prognosis, 95 per cent of cases are successful.

"I will be put it into some sort of remission at some point.

"It's just the recovery at the minute is not going to plan in terms of the speed of it.

"My white blood (cell) counts are still not recovering, so therefore my immune system is not great at the minute. Hence why I can't go back to work."

LATEST SPORTS NEWS

  • UK opens talks over hosting Olympics and major golf events in push for sporting events
  • Manchester United fans call on FA to act after 'disgraceful' Manchester City decision
  • Racecourse staff almost struck by oncoming horses in dramatic near miss

Webster continued: "It's not the worst case scenario, but it's just a bit frustrating for me at the minute, but I'm managing okay, I'm dealing with it alright."

Webster is a regular on Sky Sports' darts coverage, but has not appeared as a pundit since February 5.

He was also announced as part of ITV's new-look line-up earlier in the year.

Webster added: "I can work with people but just not in sensitive environments. It's frustrating really, day to day I am used to being busy.

"The Premier League on February 5 is the last time I worked. I am just managing it and trusting the people that have been looking after me.

"They have been really good. I don't always get the answer that I want when I go in, but I have got to trust them.

"I got a bit carried away a couple of weeks ago thinking I might be able to work in Brighton, but my blood count was too low.

"My understanding is we are just keeping an eye on them and I am currently on boosters and they are going up.

"Hopefully I can come off those boosters, then they have to hold and I can return to work. It's just a case of trusting the process."

Regarding his recovery, he said: "I have a blood test on a weekly basis, so I have them done then I go and see my specialist every few weeks, then I just go from there."

Webster retired from darts in 2019 and has become one of the well-known voices and faces in the broadcasting scene.

Our Standards: The GB News Editorial Charter

Discussion in the ATmosphere

Loading comments...