{
  "$type": "site.standard.document",
  "bskyPostRef": {
    "cid": "bafyreibjka46ln6ww3gppjngpzdbvt22zkie3dfxbus4xynbr4ahizcvuq",
    "uri": "at://did:plc:oznbnvgr7dmvddiyvr7dih52/app.bsky.feed.post/3ml5oc32jag62"
  },
  "coverImage": {
    "$type": "blob",
    "ref": {
      "$link": "bafkreig3sfybdup3kl4qqen64fjlvvhyceut7azaa34yfm4cvxsukbusoq"
    },
    "mimeType": "image/png",
    "size": 1860732
  },
  "path": "/news/world/hantavirus-cruise-ship-outbreak-canary-islands-three-people-evacuated",
  "publishedAt": "2026-05-06T01:38:03.000Z",
  "site": "https://www.gbnews.com",
  "tags": [
    "who was evacuated to South Africa",
    "Second Briton on cruise ship shows hantavirus symptoms as UK coordinates evacuation",
    "Two evacuated from cruise ship amid hantavirus outbreak as WHO probes possible onboard transmission",
    "UK tourist fighting for his life after 'rare rodent virus' breaks out on cruise ship killing three",
    "The GB News Editorial Charter"
  ],
  "textContent": "\n\n\nA cruise ship hit by a hantavirus outbreak is sailing to the Canary Islands after three people were evacuated from the vessel, Spanish authorities have confirmed.\n\nThe Dutch cruise ship MV Hondius, carrying 149 passengers and crew, has been travelling from Argentina on a transatlantic voyage and was recently docked in Cape Verde while authorities assessed the outbreak.\n\n###\n\n\n\n\nAmong those still on board are 23 British nationals, including 22 passengers and one crew member awaiting medical evacuation.\n\nCruise operator Oceanwide Expeditions said the vessel is expected to dock in either Gran Canaria or Tenerife, where passengers from 23 countries remain under strict health protocols.\n\n###\n\n\n\n\nTRENDING\n\nStories\n\nVideos\n\nYour Say\n\nHealth officials have identified seven hantavirus cases linked to the outbreak so far, including two confirmed infections and five suspected cases, according to the World Health Organization.\n\nA Dutch woman whose infection was confirmed is among three people who have died during the voyage.\n\nHer husband also died on board, although his case has not officially been confirmed as hantavirus-related.\n\nThe second confirmed case involves a 69-year-old British passenger who was evacuated to South Africa for treatment.\n\n###\n\n\n\n\n###\n\n\n\n\nA German passenger who died on May 2 has not been classified as a confirmed hantavirus case.\n\nThe World Health Organisation (WHO) has said they believe the virus may have spread through human to human contact on the ship.\n\nHowever, the virus is more commonly carried by rodents such as rats and mice.\n\nSpain’s health ministry confirmed all contact with those disembarking from the MV Hondius would take place in specially designated facilities and vehicles set up for the emergency operation.\n\n### LATEST DEVELOPMENTS\n\n\n\n\n  * Second Briton on cruise ship shows hantavirus symptoms as UK coordinates evacuation\n  * Two evacuated from cruise ship amid hantavirus outbreak as WHO probes possible onboard transmission\n  * UK tourist fighting for his life after 'rare rodent virus' breaks out on cruise ship killing three\n\n\n\n###\n\n\n\n\n###\n\n\n\n\nThe measures are intended to avoid contact with local residents and protect medical teams responding to the outbreak.\n\nThe vessel is expected to arrive in the Canary Islands within three to four days, although officials have not yet confirmed the exact port.\n\nPassengers and crew will undergo medical assessments and receive treatment where needed before being allowed to continue their journeys home.\n\nTwo crew members require urgent medical treatment, including the ship’s doctor, who is said to be in a serious condition.\n\n###\n\n\n\n\n###\n\n\n\n\nA third person linked to the deceased German passenger is also expected to be evacuated.\n\nThe ship’s doctor was due to be flown to the Canary Islands on Tuesday aboard a medical aircraft.\n\nThe WHO said Cape Verde lacked the medical infrastructure required to carry out the evacuations.\n\nSpain’s health ministry said the Canary Islands were the nearest suitable location, adding the country had \"a moral and legal obligation to assist these people, among whom are several Spanish citizens\".\n\nA spokesman for the UK’s Foreign Office previously said: “We are closely monitoring reports of a potential hantavirus outbreak on the cruise ship Hondius and stand ready to support British nationals if needed.\n\n“We are in touch with the cruise company and local authorities.”\n\n###\n\n\n\n\n**Our Standards: The GB News Editorial Charter**",
  "title": "Cruise ship with hantavirus outbreak to sail to Canary Islands as three people evacuated"
}