External Publication
Visit Post

Britons warned using nasal decongestants for more than five days carries risks

Home: Latest & breaking News | GB News [Unofficial] May 4, 2026
Source

Britain's medicines regulator has issued fresh guidance urging consumers to limit their use of nasal decongestant sprays to a maximum of five days.

The Medicines and Healthcare products Regulatory Agency (MHRA) announced that products containing xylometazoline and oxymetazoline should be restricted due to harmful effects associated with extended use.

The sprays, commonly purchased to alleviate stuffiness from colds, allergies and sinusitis, can paradoxically worsen nasal blockage when used beyond the recommended period.

The MHRA's warning applies to both spray and drop formulations of these decongestants, which remain widely available over the counter across British pharmacies.

TRENDING

Stories

Videos

Your Say

Prolonged use of these decongestants can trigger a condition known as "rebound congestion," medically termed rhinitis medicamentosa.

The Royal College of Pharmacy described this as a preventable ailment in which symptoms deteriorate, and users become dependent on the spray itself.

Rather than providing continued relief, the medication begins to perpetuate the very problem it was designed to solve, creating a troubling cycle where patients reach for the spray ever more frequently.

But the condition is entirely avoidable when users adhere to the five-day limit.

Manufacturers will update all packaging and accompanying leaflets to include the five-day warning, though the MHRA acknowledged this process will take several months to complete.

In the meantime, patients are advised to follow the new guidance immediately rather than waiting for updated products to reach shelves.

LATEST DEVELOPMENTS:

  • NHS jab targeting dozens of cancers could slash treatment time by 90%
  • Arthritis: Dietitian warns food group is 'one of the biggest triggers' for sufferers
  • Twins stunned to find they have different dads after home DNA test in UK's first case

Thao Huynh, head of respiratory imaging and critical care at the MHRA, said: "If your nose is still blocked after five days of using a nasal spray, it could be caused by overuse of the product, rather than your original symptoms."

He urged those experiencing persistent congestion to consult a healthcare professional about discontinuing use and exploring alternative treatments.

The Royal College of Pharmacy has endorsed the regulatory intervention, backing both the enhanced labelling and broader efforts to inform the public.

Professor Amira Guirguis, chief scientist at the Royal College of Pharmacy, said: "We support clearer product information and improved packaging, alongside consistent public messaging, to improve awareness that these products are for short-term use only and to avoid preventable harm."

The MHRA emphasised that these decongestants remain safe and effective when used according to directions.

Consumers are encouraged to read the information leaflets accompanying their medicines and pay attention to guidance printed on the outer packaging.

Research conducted earlier this year paints a concerning picture of the scale of potential dependency across the nation.

An ITV survey found that more than one in five adults who had used these decongestant products continued doing so beyond the seven-day limit previously recommended by the NHS and manufacturers.

This translates to an estimated 5.5 million Britons who may have placed themselves at risk of developing a reliance on these sprays.

Updated packaging and patient information leaflets will be rolled out over the coming months to reflect the stricter five-day guidance.

In the interim, the MHRA has urged consumers to adopt the new recommendations immediately.

Our Standards: The GB News Editorial Charter

Discussion in the ATmosphere

Loading comments...