{
"$type": "site.standard.document",
"bskyPostRef": {
"cid": "bafyreieq5d655rmtu76w7nybjld3i34sfuqhtiuif72eahzhr54flqcqeq",
"uri": "at://did:plc:oznbnvgr7dmvddiyvr7dih52/app.bsky.feed.post/3mknjpz6xzkl2"
},
"coverImage": {
"$type": "blob",
"ref": {
"$link": "bafkreibmd7vyerihq76w4lc4ikjy7akb4eynql272khghmfbtcbjxtwlem"
},
"mimeType": "image/jpeg",
"size": 99781
},
"path": "/politics/nigel-farage-admits-crypto-donation",
"publishedAt": "2026-04-29T16:21:32.000Z",
"site": "https://www.gbnews.com",
"tags": [
"Zia Yusuf defends Nigel Farage’s Donald Trump friendship during tense GB News grilling",
"Watch the moment Nigel Farage and Robert Jenrick hand over giant cheque to pay couple’s bills",
"Nigel Farage agrees Donald Trump must ‘take some blame’ for economic impact of Iran war",
"The GB News Editorial Charter"
],
"textContent": "\n\n\nNigel Farage has said he accepted a donation of £5million intended to provide him with \"long‑term personal security\".\n\nThe Reform UK leader faced difficulties in securing Home Office funding for his protection, adding the money would give him security \"for the rest of his life\".\n\n###\n\n\n\n\nHe told The Telegraph: “This money was given to me so that I would be safe and secure for the rest of my life,” adding: “Christopher is an ardent supporter who is deeply concerned for my safety.”\n\nThe payment was first reported by The Guardian.\n\n###\n\n\n\n\nTRENDING\n\nStories\n\nVideos\n\nYour Say\n\n###\n\n\n\n\nThe disclosure has prompted questions over whether the funds should have been declared under parliamentary rules.\n\nRegulations introduced in 2022 require MPs to register financial interests, including benefits received in the 12 months prior to election, within one month of taking their seat.\n\nMr Farage was elected as MP for Clacton in 2024.\n\nAt the time he accepted the payment he had not publicly declared his intention to stand for election.\n\n###\n\n\n\n\n###\n\n\n\n\n###\n\n\n\n\nIn May 2024, he wrote on social media that he would not be a candidate, saying it was “not the right time” to stand.\n\nOn June 3, he reversed that position, confirmed his candidacy and committed to lead Reform UK for at least five years.\n\nMr Farage also said his home was targeted in a firebombing incident in 2025, after the payment was made.\n\nThe scale of the donation highlights Mr Harborne’s role as a major political donor.\n\n### LATEST DEVELOPMENTS\n\n\n\n\n * Zia Yusuf defends Nigel Farage’s Donald Trump friendship during tense GB News grilling\n * Watch the moment Nigel Farage and Robert Jenrick hand over giant cheque to pay couple’s bills\n * Nigel Farage agrees Donald Trump must ‘take some blame’ for economic impact of Iran war\n\n\n\n###\n\n\n\n\n###\n\n\n\n\nHe previously gave £10million to Mr Farage’s Brexit Party around the 2019 general election, when Boris Johnson led the Conservative Government.\n\nReform UK received a further £12million from Mr Harborne in 2025.\n\nHe has also donated to other political groups and figures, including £1.5million to the Conservative Party in 2022 and £1million to the private office of Boris Johnson after he stepped down as party leader.\n\nThe Conservative Party has referred Mr Farage to the Parliamentary Standards Commissioner.\n\nKevin Hollinrake MP said: “This £5million from the crypto billionaire Christopher Harborne raises serious questions. What is Nigel Farage hiding? And why does Reform think the rules don’t apply to them? This stinks and Reform should come clean now.”\n\n###\n\n\n\n\n###\n\n\n\n\nBen Habib, who previously served as Reform UK co‑leader, also commented on the situation.\n\nHe said he had “initially declined to join Reform UK, among other things, because of the money changing hands between Mr Harborne, Mr Farage and Mr Johnson”.\n\nHe added: “When politicians dance to the tune of their donors, it is the British people who are screwed.”\n\nLabour has recently introduced new rules limiting political donations, including a £100,000 annual cap on contributions from non‑UK residents.\n\n###\n\n\n\n\n\n\n\n\n\n\n**Our Standards: The GB News Editorial Charter**",
"title": "Nigel Farage confirms £5million gift from donor amid 'deep fears for my personal safety'"
}