{
"$type": "site.standard.document",
"bskyPostRef": {
"cid": "bafyreib44adathl4wfnvqkf357mupbokvdunsdg6r6q7oi62prrtab2pb4",
"uri": "at://did:plc:oznbnvgr7dmvddiyvr7dih52/app.bsky.feed.post/3mkkf5yatzpp2"
},
"coverImage": {
"$type": "blob",
"ref": {
"$link": "bafkreift34wbeycrxfn72me4fvczrrf64nxq7r5g7i7bnya6blner6iqj4"
},
"mimeType": "image/jpeg",
"size": 551198
},
"path": "/sport/golf/liv-golf-new-orleans-saudi-funding",
"publishedAt": "2026-04-28T09:54:07.000Z",
"site": "https://www.gbnews.com",
"tags": [
"Gareth Barry shares what he told James Milner after former teammate beat Premier League record",
"Golf players to receive harsher penalties for swearing on course as new rule introduced",
"Casemiro future gets big update after Man Utd win over Brentford",
"The GB News Editorial Charter"
],
"textContent": "\n\n\nLIV Golf is set to delay its inaugural $30million (£22.2m) tournament at Bayou Oaks at City Park in Louisiana, originally planned for June 25, amid speculation of Saudi funding being pulled.\n\nStaff and players have reportedly been informed that backing from Saudi Arabia's Public Investment Fund (PIF) is secured only until the conclusion of 2026.\n\n###\n\n\n\n\nLIV's postponement is anticipated to be announced next year with reports of changes to its business model.\n\nScott O'Neil, the CEO of the breakaway circuit, has recently assured that operations would continue \"uninterrupted and at full throttle\".\n\n###\n\n\n\n\n###\n\n\n\n\nTRENDING\n\nStories\n\nVideos\n\nYour Say\n\n###\n\n\n\n\nO'Neil's management team is now actively pursuing alternative financial backers following PIF's investment of more than $5bn (£3.7bn) since the circuit's 2022 launch, which has yielded minimal returns.\n\nIn an interview subsequently removed from TNT Sport, the UK broadcaster of LIV events, O'Neil effectively acknowledged that Saudi money would cease flowing after the current campaign.\n\nHe said: \"The reality is you're funded through the season and then you work like crazy to create a business and a business plan to keep us going.\n\n\"But that's not different than any other private equity business in the history of mankind.\"\n\n###\n\n\n\n\n###\n\n\n\n\n### LATEST SPORTS NEWS\n\n\n\n\n * Gareth Barry shares what he told James Milner after former teammate beat Premier League record\n * Golf players to receive harsher penalties for swearing on course as new rule introduced\n * Casemiro future gets big update after Man Utd win over Brentford\n\n\n\n###\n\n\n\n\nLouisiana had been expected to commit $7m (£5.1m) to host the tournament, including $2m (£1.48m) earmarked for course improvements.\n\nAccording to American media reports, LIV has now agreed to reimburse $1.2m (£890k) already provided by the state for staging the competition.\n\nThe circuit resumes next week at Trump National, Washington, DC, in Virginia, with subsequent stops in South Korea and Spain.\n\nHowever, the Louisiana cancellation creates a substantial five-week hiatus in the schedule before players reconvene in England for a tournament at JCB Golf and Country Club in Uttoxeter, Staffordshire, during late July.\n\n###\n\n\n\n\n###\n\n\n\n\n###\n\n\n\n\nThere has been much speculation about the continuation of the league, with rumours of funding for the event being cut.\n\nChris Heck, LIV Golf's President of Business Operations, has firmly rejected suggestions that the breakaway league faces financial uncertainty.\n\nSpeaking at a press conference to announce Smash GC's transformation into OKGC, Heck addressed questions about the league's financial standing directly.\n\n\"No, we are funded, and we are business as usual moving forward,\" he told reporters.\n\n###\n\n\n\n\n###\n\n\n\n\n###\n\n\n\n\nWhen pressed on whether concerns existed behind the scenes, Heck redirected attention to operational matters rather than ownership questions.\n\n\"We have concerns of selling tickets for the next event and of course launching great teams like OKGC,\" he said.\n\nThe executive, who took up his position in June 2025 following a stint at Aston Villa, expressed unwavering faith in the league's prospects when asked about his confidence levels amid the swirling reports.\n\n\"I wouldn't be here if I wasn't extremely confident, not only in our players, but our product,\" Heck stated.\n\n###\n\n\n\n\n**Our Standards: The GB News Editorial Charter**",
"title": "LIV Golf to postpone upcoming event amid speculation of Saudi funding being pulled"
}