{
"$type": "site.standard.document",
"bskyPostRef": {
"cid": "bafyreifdptdvw5mrn6gib6dfyhrypiias6a26s2eo5gskvqpalajlgo7ii",
"uri": "at://did:plc:oznbnvgr7dmvddiyvr7dih52/app.bsky.feed.post/3mkgfpcgnjfs2"
},
"coverImage": {
"$type": "blob",
"ref": {
"$link": "bafkreieqqcydggysjhxpkhpp2s2lakakcvfskieagwy2odfd5wnyii7fwm"
},
"mimeType": "image/jpeg",
"size": 81897
},
"path": "/news/st-georges-day-parade-birmingham-warnings",
"publishedAt": "2026-04-26T20:02:56.000Z",
"site": "https://www.gbnews.com",
"tags": [
"Row erupts over 'Friday prayers' as West Midlands Police hit out at drivers parking near mosques",
"Council to take down St George's flags from lampposts amid 'fears over safety'",
"Couple in their 60s living in shed for FOUR YEARS after plan to build home blocked by polluted river",
"The GB News Editorial Charter"
],
"textContent": "\n\n\nHundreds of motorcycles and vintage vehicles have descended on Solihull today for what organisers have dubbed the world's largest St George's Day parade.\n\nThe Outlaws bikers' group staged the celebration in Shirley, Birmingham, honouring England's patron saint with a 3.5-mile procession through the streets.\n\n###\n\n\n\n\nParticipants gathered at the Saracen's Head Pub from 3pm before the convoy set off along Stratford Road.\n\nThe route passed through Poppy Island before finishing in Henley-in-Arden, with the parade scheduled to run from 5pm until 8pm.\n\n###\n\n\n\n\nTRENDING\n\nStories\n\nVideos\n\nYour Say\n\n###\n\n\n\n\n\nBoth British and American classic cars joined the motorcycle contingent travelling the route.\n\nOrganisers had warned of significant traffic disruption along Stratford Road and the surrounding Shirley area between 5.45pm and 7.30pm.\n\n\"Long delays are expected along the Stratford Road and around Shirley from 5.45pm-7.30pm,\" they said in advance of today's event.\n\n\"If you're not taking part in the Parade please find an alternative route. World's Largest St Georges Day Parade, Celebrating our 22nd anniversary.\"\n\n###\n\n\n\n\n###\n\n\n\n\n###\n\n\n\n\nVolunteers erected 450 Union flags on lampposts stretching from Stratford Road to Henley-in-Arden in preparation for the event, alongside two enormous 30ft St George flags.\n\nRyan Bridge from Raise the Colours told the Express the display would be \"unbelievable\" and \"absolutely amazing,\" noting that helpers from Shrewsbury, Oxford and Liverpool had assisted with the installation.\n\nThe group worked with three cherry pickers until midnight each night during the preceding week to complete the decorations.\n\"We do both sides of the road, so it's seven miles of flags,\" Mr Bridge said.\n\nOrganisers anticipated approximately 2,000 attendees for the occasion, which marked the parade's 22nd anniversary.\n\n### LATEST DEVELOPMENTS\n\n\n\n\n * Row erupts over 'Friday prayers' as West Midlands Police hit out at drivers parking near mosques\n * Council to take down St George's flags from lampposts amid 'fears over safety'\n * Couple in their 60s living in shed for FOUR YEARS after plan to build home blocked by polluted river\n\n\n\n###\n\n\n\n\n###\n\n\n\n\n\n\n\nIan Michael noted the event typically attracts around 1,000 vehicles, though this year's turnout could surpass that figure due to increased publicity.\n\nThe parade has drawn sharp criticism from anti-racist campaigners concerned about Raise the Colours' participation in the event.\n\nA coalition comprising more than 20 organisations, including Birmingham Stand Up To Racism and several local Methodist churches, published an open letter expressing their anger at Ryan Bridge's involvement.\n\nThe groups warned that the presence of Raise the Colours risked creating division rather than fostering a genuine community celebration.\n\n###\n\n\n\n\n###\n\n\n\n\n\n\n\nMr Bridge was previously arrested in connection with religiously and racially aggravated harassment in Oxfordshire, prompting campaigners to urge parade organisers to distance themselves from the group.\n\nDespite these objections and ongoing scrutiny of the organisation's activities, the procession proceeded as planned with organisers pledging a peaceful event.\n\nPolice maintained a visible presence throughout, monitoring the route while balancing celebratory rights against community concerns regarding public order.\n\nParticipant Jim Briggs, sporting a St George's cross painted on his face, spoke enthusiastically about the occasion.\n\n###\n\n\n\n\n###\n\n\n\n\n\"I'm here to enjoy this great St George's Day. I think it's fantastic,\" he said. \"My heart's English. I'm English. England is a great country. We've always been the best.\"\n\nMr Briggs emphasised that flying the national flag was about personal connection rather than background or ethnicity.\n\n\"It's about heart. It's not where you live and where you're from. It's not about race. It's about where your heart is,\" he added.\n\nMeanwhile, Ian Michael, who has considered himself patriotic for over four decades, expressed his conviction that St George's Day deserves bank holiday status.\n\n\"That's hopefully what will happen if Reform get in,\" he told The Express.\n\n###\n\n\n\n\n\n\n\n\n\n\n**Our Standards: The GB News Editorial Charter**",
"title": "Hundreds defy major warnings to attend huge St George's Day parade"
}