{
"$type": "site.standard.document",
"bskyPostRef": {
"cid": "bafyreigug7r4lwah4d53uowwo5s66mzyfar77uzqfzydnmenhentbxlh6u",
"uri": "at://did:plc:oznbnvgr7dmvddiyvr7dih52/app.bsky.feed.post/3mkfe6qzfvw22"
},
"coverImage": {
"$type": "blob",
"ref": {
"$link": "bafkreidlzg3oaki44fevomjpj7raugavweocq6kd25fvv3wphd2srqgrjq"
},
"mimeType": "image/jpeg",
"size": 64392
},
"path": "/lifestyle/cars/peak-district-motorists-fines-road-offences-parking",
"publishedAt": "2026-04-26T09:32:41.000Z",
"site": "https://www.gbnews.com",
"tags": [
"Drivers face new road safety campaign as surge in bikers prompts alert",
"Petrol and diesel drivers ripped off as motorists should 'see cheaper fuel prices in days'",
"Police prosecute thousands of drivers for road offences as massive crackdown will 'remain ongoing'",
"The GB News Editorial Charter"
],
"textContent": "\n\n\n****Drivers have been warned new \"red routes\" are being rolled out in the Peak District to clamp down on parking chaos, with rulebreakers facing fines if they ignore the rules.\n\n\nDerbyshire County Council explained how the strict new measures will target \"inconsiderate parking\" in and around Castleton and Mam Tor, one of the most popular beauty spots in the region.\n\n###\n\n\n\n\nThe changes include double red lines, meaning no stopping at any time, alongside new double yellow lines on village streets.\n\nThe red routes will be introduced after May 5 and cover several key roads. These include Old Mam Tor Road, routes towards Blue John Cavern, Rushup Edge, and Winnats Pass.\n\n###\n\n\n\n\nTRENDING\n\nStories\n\nVideos\n\nYour Say\n\n###\n\n\n\n\nThe council hopes the move will ease congestion and improve safety in an area that regularly sees heavy visitor traffic.\n\nMotorists who break the rules could be hit with a £70 fine, reduced to £35 if paid within 14 days. The crackdown follows long-standing complaints from residents and businesses about blocked roads, dangerous parking, and access issues for emergency services.\n\nA public consultation last year highlighted the scale of the problem, with many calling for tougher enforcement.\n\nAs part of the wider plan, new double yellow lines will also be painted across several streets in Castleton, including How Lane, Castle Street and Back Street. These are aimed at stopping what the council described as \"obstructive parking\".\n\n###\n\n\n\n\n###\n\n\n\n\n###\n\n\n\n\nWork to install the new lines and signs is due to begin next week. Parking arrangements are also being updated. At the lower end of Old Mam Tor Road, drivers will now have to pay by phone only.\n\nMeanwhile, two new solar-powered ticket machines will be installed on Buxton Road from July.\n\nThe bays there will have a four-hour maximum stay, with no return within one hour. Charges will apply between 9am and 5pm daily, but outside those hours, parking will remain unrestricted.\n\nElsewhere, some parking options will stay unchanged. The 55 spaces at the far end of Old Mam Tor Road will remain free at all times. Unmarked lay-bys along nearby routes will also remain unrestricted.\n\n### LATEST DEVELOPMENTS\n\n\n\n\n * Drivers face new road safety campaign as surge in bikers prompts alert\n * Petrol and diesel drivers ripped off as motorists should 'see cheaper fuel prices in days'\n * Police prosecute thousands of drivers for road offences as massive crackdown will 'remain ongoing'\n\n\n\n###\n\n\n\n\n###\n\n\n\n\n###\n\n\n\n\nCouncil officials said the aim is to strike a balance between keeping the area accessible and protecting local communities from disruption.\n\nCharlotte Hill, the council's cabinet member for highways and transport, said the authority had listened to concerns before acting.\n\nShe said: \"With these measures we have listened carefully and tried to balance the needs of local people, business and visitors to this beautiful part of our county.\"\n\nShe added safety was a key factor behind the decision, particularly when roads become blocked.\n\n\"It's essential residents can rely on emergency and other services to reach them no matter the time of day, which can be difficult when people have double-parked or blocked driveways,\" she said.\n\n###\n\n\n\n\n###\n\n\n\n\n###\n\n\n\n\nMs Hill also made clear the council wants to manage visitor numbers more effectively in one of Derbyshire's busiest tourist areas.\n\n\"At the same time, we want to encourage sustainable visitor numbers, reduce congestion and deliver the best outcome to what is one of the most highly visited and outstanding areas in Derbyshire,\" she said.\n\nThe new rules mark a significant change for the area and signal a tougher approach to parking enforcement as visitor numbers continue to rise.\n\n###\n\n\n\n\n**Our Standards: The GB News Editorial Charter**",
"title": "Motorists face £70 fines for road offences as new rules clamp down on poor parking"
}