{
  "$type": "site.standard.document",
  "bskyPostRef": {
    "cid": "bafyreifmxaax6chlnnufa5yzmn5buieckfmpwzijpfwz6zsoqa3nd6pkce",
    "uri": "at://did:plc:oznbnvgr7dmvddiyvr7dih52/app.bsky.feed.post/3mkad7uyi4no2"
  },
  "coverImage": {
    "$type": "blob",
    "ref": {
      "$link": "bafkreicqesn4uukc5u7mxu3qb3dzg7t2dkp5wktyza7vbayuyf2bkepeu4"
    },
    "mimeType": "image/jpeg",
    "size": 72846
  },
  "path": "/politics/us/us-aukus-submarine-contract-deal",
  "publishedAt": "2026-04-24T09:34:03.000Z",
  "site": "https://www.gbnews.com",
  "tags": [
    "Donald Trump could punish Keir Starmer for Iran inaction by backing ARGENTINA over Falkland Islands",
    "Donald Trump threatens Britain with all-new tariffs over 'cash grab' tax on American firms",
    "Donald Trump hits back at Prince Harry claims: 'He doesn't speak for the UK!'",
    "The GB News Editorial Charter"
  ],
  "textContent": "\n\n\nThe US has approved the first major submarine contract under the Aukus security deal.\n\nThe £145.5million contract was announced on Thursday, with American firm Electric Boat securing the deal and Australia footing the bill.\n\n###\n\n\n\n\nThe agreement will cover \"support engineering, technical, design agent and design transfer activities\" from the United States.\n\nThis development comes at a time when certain aspects of the Aukus partnership are under political scrutiny in the UK.\n\n###\n\n\n\n\nTRENDING\n\nStories\n\nVideos\n\nYour Say\n\n###\n\n\n\n\nThe 2021 Aukus agreement established a framework for Australia to obtain nuclear-powered submarines.\n\nIt was backed by both Britain and the United States.\n\nBeyond the submarine programme, the trilateral pact encompasses broader collaboration on advanced military technologies between the three nations.\n\nThe newly approved contract specifically covers technical and engineering support from the American side, facilitating the transfer of crucial design expertise to Australia.\n\n###\n\n\n\n\n###\n\n\n\n\n###\n\n\n\n\nThis represents the first substantial financial commitment to materialise from the landmark security arrangement.\n\nThe deal has been positioned as a cornerstone of Western defence strategy in the Indo-Pacific region.\n\nBaroness Eluned Morgan, the Welsh First Minister, has called on the UK Government to suspend its participation in a separate Aukus-linked initiative earlier this month.\n\nShe said: \"I believe in international alliances, I believe in collective security, but there is a clear difference between standing with our partners and giving a free pass to a US president who has threatened war crimes and shown contempt for our country.\"\n\n### LATEST DEVELOPMENTS\n\n\n\n\n  * Donald Trump could punish Keir Starmer for Iran inaction by backing ARGENTINA over Falkland Islands\n  * Donald Trump threatens Britain with all-new tariffs over 'cash grab' tax on American firms\n  * Donald Trump hits back at Prince Harry claims: 'He doesn't speak for the UK!'\n\n\n\n###\n\n\n\n\n###\n\n\n\n\nLady Morgan specifically targeted the Deep Space Advanced Radar Capability programme, which aims to establish a global network for monitoring objects in space.\n\nShe added: \"I'm urging the UK Government to halt our involvement in the Aukus radar project until we can be confident those partnerships reflect our values, and our security interests.\"\n\nThe Darc programme will see radar installations developed across Australia, the United States and Britain, enabling round-the-clock surveillance of space regardless of weather conditions.\n\nCawdor Barracks in Pembrokeshire is set to host the primary UK contribution to this initiative, with Britain's involvement described as \"crucial\" to the project's overall success.\n\n###\n\n\n\n\n###\n\n\n\n\n###\n\n\n\n\n###\n\n\n\n\nSir Keir Starmer’s political spokesman said at the time: \"The Deep Space Advanced Radar Capability programme will secure long-term jobs in Pembrokeshire, Wales and help protect essential satellite communication and navigation works.\n\n\"We’re engaging with the local community on proposals to redevelop Cawdor Barracks to host Darc, which will be operated by UK personnel.”\n\nThe contract announcement follows a US review of the Aukus agreement concluded in late 2025, which sought to ensure the partnership's longevity and alignment with the President's 'America First' agenda.\n\nDefence Secretary John Healey subsequently confirmed that Aukus was proceeding \"full steam ahead\" following discussions between London and Washington.\n\n###\n\n\n\n\n**Our Standards: The GB News Editorial Charter**",
  "title": "US approves first major Aukus submarine contract in £145 MILLION deal"
}