{
"$type": "site.standard.document",
"bskyPostRef": {
"cid": "bafyreicqyue3yutbuzmyxva2bdop5v3urfiyjvybci2wjf752uismka3wu",
"uri": "at://did:plc:oznbnvgr7dmvddiyvr7dih52/app.bsky.feed.post/3mjkqgxdeaai2"
},
"coverImage": {
"$type": "blob",
"ref": {
"$link": "bafkreia4fdeaentzi43qdxoqpgqhs7lyygxtlmvge7f5nmj3sjs57auyuq"
},
"mimeType": "image/jpeg",
"size": 31555
},
"path": "/sport/tennis/carlos-alcaraz-injury-barcelona-open",
"publishedAt": "2026-04-15T19:01:35.000Z",
"site": "https://www.gbnews.com",
"tags": [
"Andy Murray makes feelings clear on Carlos Alcaraz after Jannik Sinner loss in Monte Carlo Masters",
"Jannik Sinner takes special title off Carlos Alcaraz after beating him to win Monte Carlo Masters",
"Sinner heaps pressure on Alcaraz ahead of Monte Carlo Masters final and first 2026 meeting",
"The GB News Editorial Charter"
],
"textContent": "\n\n\nCarlos Alcaraz has been forced to pull out of the Barcelona Open after sustaining a right wrist injury during his opening-round triumph over Finnish qualifier Otto Virtanen on Tuesday.\n\nThe 22-year-old Spanish star, who defeated Virtanen in straight sets despite experiencing discomfort throughout the match, underwent medical examinations that revealed the damage to be worse than anticipated.\n\n###\n\n\n\n\nAlcaraz said: \"I felt my wrist give out on a return during the match.\n\n\"After the tests, we saw that it's a more serious injury than any of us expected, and I have to listen to my body so it doesn't affect me in the future.\"\n\n###\n\n\n\n\nTRENDING\n\nStories\n\nVideos\n\nYour Say\n\n###\n\n\n\n\nThe Spaniard confirmed he would return home immediately to begin rehabilitation under the supervision of his medical staff, including doctors and physiotherapists.\n\nHe said: \"I have to go home to start my recovery as soon as possible with my team - the doctors, and the physical therapist - and get, or try to get, as healthy as possible as soon as possible for the tournaments I have coming up.\"\n\nAlcaraz's primary focus now turns to Roland Garros, where the 2026 French Open commences on May 18.\n\nThe former world number one will be targeting an unprecedented third successive title at the Parisian clay-court major.\n\n###\n\n\n\n\n###\n\n\n\n\n###\n\n\n\n\nAlcaraz had competed in Barcelona just two days after suffering defeat to Jannik Sinner in the Monte-Carlo Masters final, a result that saw the Italian reclaim the world number one ranking for the first time since November.\n\nVictory at the Catalan clay-court event would have enabled Alcaraz to regain top spot from his rival.\n\nThe Spaniard claimed the Barcelona title in both 2022 and 2023 before finishing as runner-up last year.\n\nThis marks the second occasion in three years that injury has compelled Alcaraz to withdraw from the tournament in the Catalan capital.\n\n### LATEST SPORT NEWS\n\n\n\n\n * Andy Murray makes feelings clear on Carlos Alcaraz after Jannik Sinner loss in Monte Carlo Masters\n * Jannik Sinner takes special title off Carlos Alcaraz after beating him to win Monte Carlo Masters\n * Sinner heaps pressure on Alcaraz ahead of Monte Carlo Masters final and first 2026 meeting\n\n\n\n###\n\n\n\n\n###\n\n\n\n\nThe Spanish star made history earlier this year by becoming the youngest man to complete a Career Grand Slam.\n\nIn January, Alcaraz claimed his maiden Australian Open crown by defeating Novak Djokovic 2-6, 6-2, 6-3, 7-5 in Melbourne, securing his place in tennis history as the youngest player ever to lift all four major trophies.\n\nHe maintained his momentum at the Qatar Open in Doha, where he dispatched Arthur Fils 6-2, 6-1 to capture the ATP 500 title.\n\nHis run at the Monte-Carlo Masters ended in disappointment, however, as Jannik Sinner claimed victory in the final, a result that saw the Italian reclaim the world number one position.\n\n###\n\n\n\n\n###\n\n\n\n\n###\n\n\n\n\n###\n\n\n\n\nAlcaraz's immediate priority is returning to full fitness ahead of the clay-court swing's most prestigious events.\n\nThe world number two is targeting appearances at both the Madrid and Rome Masters tournaments as he builds towards his French Open title defence.\n\nDespite the injury setback, his season statistics remain impressive, with a 21-3 win-loss record, two titles, and prize money exceeding $4.3million.\n\nThe Spaniard will be hoping his recovery progresses smoothly, with Roland-Garros representing the culmination of the European clay season and a tournament where he has previously demonstrated his finest form.\n\n###\n\n\n\n\n**Our Standards: The GB News Editorial Charter**",
"title": "Carlos Alcaraz returns home immediately after suffering injury as tennis star pulls out of Barcelona Open"
}