{
  "$type": "site.standard.document",
  "bskyPostRef": {
    "cid": "bafyreiag2ztyriw7xpjpenwgypi7e54o5xrcdmuvpq6dqdskjkbns4qyhq",
    "uri": "at://did:plc:oznbnvgr7dmvddiyvr7dih52/app.bsky.feed.post/3mjfw5gc6f4w2"
  },
  "coverImage": {
    "$type": "blob",
    "ref": {
      "$link": "bafkreicdmabmeox4yrp464ujexksrx6zkujsz3n4l2vn3h2xfqejonnufi"
    },
    "mimeType": "image/jpeg",
    "size": 47050
  },
  "path": "/money/nsi-scandal-grieving-families-await-payouts",
  "publishedAt": "2026-04-13T21:31:17.000Z",
  "site": "https://www.gbnews.com",
  "tags": [
    "NS&I scandal continues as Rachel Reeves alerted to 'serious' savings failures a year ago",
    "NS&I Premium Bonds prize checker confirms April winners but 62% of savers still win nothing",
    "NS&I reveals Premium Bonds prize winners for April 2026 - who won the £1m jackpot?",
    "The GB News Editorial Charter"
  ],
  "textContent": "\n\n\nNational Savings & Investments (NS&I) is facing a major backlog crisis after it emerged that around 37,000 grieving families are still waiting for money left to them by deceased relatives, with more than £470million yet to be paid out.\n\nThe controversy has led to the departure of Dax Harkins, who stepped down as chief executive following the fallout.\n\n###\n\n\n\n\nFormer HMRC boss Sir Jim Harra has since taken over leadership at the Treasury-backed savings institution.\n\nFamilies across Britain have reported lengthy delays involving paperwork, repeated contact attempts and, in some cases, the need to involve solicitors to access funds.\n\n###\n\n\n\n\nTRENDING\n\nStories\n\nVideos\n\nYour Say\n\n###\n\n\n\n\nPensions Minister Torsten Bell told MPs last month that no money has gone missing and that all affected families will receive the full amounts owed.\n\nOne case highlights the difficulties faced by bereaved customers.\n\nCelia Dowell, from Marston Green in the West Midlands, has been waiting to receive more than £18,000 held in Premium Bonds by her late husband Robert, who died from pulmonary disease in December.\n\nMrs Dowell said other banks released her husband’s savings without significant delays, while NS&I took considerably longer despite receiving all required documentation.\n\n###\n\n\n\n\n###\n\n\n\n\n###\n\n\n\n\nShe said she was informed on February 25 that the funds would arrive \"shortly,\" but did not receive any further updates.\n\nAfter contacting the organisation again, she said she was told there was a backlog affecting bereaved families.\n\n\"I was just told that there was a heavy backlog for bereaved families,\" Mrs Dowell said.\n\n\"I can't understand why it's taking so long it's like getting blood out of a stone.\n\n### LATEST DEVELOPMENTS\n\n\n\n\n  * NS&I scandal continues as Rachel Reeves alerted to 'serious' savings failures a year ago\n  * NS&I Premium Bonds prize checker confirms April winners but 62% of savers still win nothing\n  * NS&I reveals Premium Bonds prize winners for April 2026 - who won the £1m jackpot?\n\n\n\n###\n\n\n\n\n###\n\n\n\n\nHer experience reflects the wider delays affecting thousands of families across the country.\n\nNS&I said it has since contacted Mrs Dowell and arranged for the funds to be paid, along with a goodwill payment.\n\nA spokesperson said: \"We have spoken to Mrs Dowell and arranged for her late husband's savings to be paid directly to her, as well as agreeing a goodwill payment for the distress and inconvenience it has caused.\"\n\n###\n\n\n\n\n###\n\n\n\n\nThe spokesperson added: \"We apologise to any of our customers who have had a poor experience and where we have fallen short of their expectations.\"\n\nNS&I said it is not part of the Government’s Tell Us Once service, which handles updates related to benefits, passports and pensions rather than banking services.\n\nThe organisation has previously apologised for wider customer service issues.\n\n###\n\n\n\n\n\n\n\n\n\n\n**Our Standards: The GB News Editorial Charter**",
  "title": "NS&I scandal sees 37,000 grieving families waiting for £470million in inheritance payouts"
}