{
  "$type": "site.standard.document",
  "bskyPostRef": {
    "cid": "bafyreibwpvew3srmuxgrn6vzgfgxxbsbd7qdfkwp6rdq72c7ybnmrckaei",
    "uri": "at://did:plc:oznbnvgr7dmvddiyvr7dih52/app.bsky.feed.post/3mj5qck5it6i2"
  },
  "coverImage": {
    "$type": "blob",
    "ref": {
      "$link": "bafkreielu37gks6uwz6zb7fudog7a2re6zysrkfjr6sj6kaublgoeado3e"
    },
    "mimeType": "image/jpeg",
    "size": 52906
  },
  "path": "/news/canary-islands-bus-crash-british-tourist-dead-injured-ravine-la-gomera",
  "publishedAt": "2026-04-10T15:02:04.000Z",
  "site": "https://www.gbnews.com",
  "tags": [
    "Royal Navy sailors responsible for tracking Russian warships set to go on strike",
    "Petrol and diesel drivers caused surge in panic buying within days of Iran war",
    "Jet fuel shortage could hit within 3 weeks as summer holidays face disruption",
    "The GB News Editorial Charter"
  ],
  "textContent": "\n\n\nA British man has died and more than 20 others have been injured after a tourist bus lost control and crashed in the Canary Islands, the local government has said.\n\nThe bus plunged down a ravine while travelling on the GM-2 road on the island of La Gomera around 1.15pm local time on Friday.\n\n###\n\n\n\n\nIt is understood 24 adult passengers were in the vehicle along with three minors and the driver.\n\n“Emergency health services attended to the 28 occupants of the bus, 27 tourists of British nationality and the driver,\" a local government spokesman said.\n\n\"We can confirm one male has died and 27 people who have suffered injuries of varying degrees of severity, three of them are serious, have been transferred to the Nuestra Senora de Guadalupe Hospital in La Gomera.\"\n\n###\n\n\n\n\nTRENDING\n\nStories\n\nVideos\n\nYour Say\n\n###\n\n\n\n\nThey earlier confirmed the Canary Islands Emergency Service was dispatched to the scene, together with a medicalised helicopter, five ambulances and a medical team.\n\nPictures from the scene of the crash show the damaged bus lying on its side some distance from the road.\n\nThe crash occurred just metres from the corner of a road near a tunnel where police are investigating tyre marks.\n\nThe bus can be seen bearing the logo of Gomera Tours, a tour operator which offers excursions around the islands, as well as airport, port and hotel transfers.\n\n###\n\n\n\n\n###\n\n\n\n\n###\n\n\n\n\nAuthorities are thought to be looking to move those with serious injuries to hospitals in Tenerife.\n\nCanary Islands president Fernando Clavijo wrote on X: \"Following the accident of a bus reported in La Gomera and the work of the emergency teams who are intervening at this moment.\n\n\"My support to the victims and their families.\"\n\nThe driver told police the brakes of the vehicle failed to respond as he travelled downhill.\n\nHe went on to explain he attempted to stop the vehicle by veering onto a dirt track.\n\n### LATEST DEVELOPMENTS:\n\n\n\n\n  * Royal Navy sailors responsible for tracking Russian warships set to go on strike\n  * Petrol and diesel drivers caused surge in panic buying within days of Iran war\n  * Jet fuel shortage could hit within 3 weeks as summer holidays face disruption\n\n\n\n###\n\n\n\n\n###\n\n\n\n\n###\n\n\n\n\nAngel Victor Torres, Minister for Territorial Policy and Democratic Memory, added: \"Tragic news in La Gomera, with the confirmation of one person deceased.\n\n\"Very attentive to the actions in these first moments of the emergency services and the healthcare personnel.“With a heavy heart. May there be no more victims.\"\n\nA receptionist at El Balcon de Santa Ana, a resort in Playa de Santiago confirmed the holidaymakers had been staying at the resort and that they were all British.\n\nShe said: \"They had left the hotel to head to Tenerife on the ferry. They were all British.\"\n\n###\n\n\n\n\n###\n\n\n\n\nA regional government emergency response coordination centre said this afternoon: \"The Government of the Canary Islands, through the General Directorate of Emergencies, has declared an alert situation due to a multi-casualty accident in La Gomera starting at 2pm today, Friday, April 10.\n\n\"This decision is adopted based on the situation that has occurred and in application of the Territorial Emergency Plan for Civil Protection of the Autonomous Community of the Canary Islands (PLATECA).\"\n\nThe incident took place on the GM-2 - one of the main roads on the island - which connects the island's capital San Sebastian with destinations in the northwest.\n\nLa Gomera is the second-smallest of the main islands in Spain’s Canary Island chain and is made up of multiple volcanic mountains.\n\nThe crash is understood to have occurred just a mile away from the scene of another bus crash last year in which a 73-year-old woman died and 11 other people were injured.\n\n###\n\n\n\n\n\n\n\n\n\n\n**Our Standards: The GB News Editorial Charter**",
  "title": "British tourist dead and more 20 injured after bus loses control and crashes into ravine on Canary Islands"
}