{
"$type": "site.standard.document",
"bskyPostRef": {
"cid": "bafyreibrr7wgayvomldq26lvxyo3ab5yezmwggpqdca3bntaadndiiocne",
"uri": "at://did:plc:oznbnvgr7dmvddiyvr7dih52/app.bsky.feed.post/3miybx63skt32"
},
"coverImage": {
"$type": "blob",
"ref": {
"$link": "bafkreicobazg3xoadt2px7j5zxgeblwav6lc3acdseqvoi2opqrtymyou4"
},
"mimeType": "image/jpeg",
"size": 61278
},
"path": "/lifestyle/cars/drivers-parking-clampdown-hampshire-roads",
"publishedAt": "2026-04-08T12:06:45.000Z",
"site": "https://www.gbnews.com",
"tags": [
"British company confirms latest steps to challenge Uber with 'truly national' taxi network",
"UK drivers issued urgent petrol station warning as diesel is 'only 9p away from record high'",
"M5 chaos: Drivers face 12mph traffic as 600-tonne 'abnormal load' impacts travel for thousands",
"The GB News Editorial Charter"
],
"textContent": "\n\n\nDrivers have been warned of new parking restrictions now in place across the New Forest, with drivers banned from stopping on more than 100 roads.\n\nHampshire County Council has introduced the measures covering 116 roads, as part of efforts to tackle unsafe roadside parking.\n\n###\n\n\n\n\nThe move comes just ahead of new charges being rolled out in nearby car parks. The temporary restrictions began on April 1 and could remain in force for up to 18 months.\n\nThe council explained the changes are designed to prevent dangerous parking as motorists try to avoid fees introduced by Forestry England.\n\n###\n\n\n\n\nTRENDING\n\nStories\n\nVideos\n\nYour Say\n\n###\n\n\n\n\nIn a statement, the authority said: \"The introduction of a Temporary Traffic Regulation Order at locations across the New Forest follows Forestry England's decision to introduce charges at the car parks they oversee.\n\n\"This is to help manage any emerging issues caused by unsafe or obstructive parking on the public highway.\"\n\nThe ban affects a wide area, including busy routes and rural lanes in Lyndhurst, Brockenhurst, Burley, Beaulieu and surrounding villages. However, not every road will see restrictions at all times.\n\nThe council explained: \"The TTRO provides the option to deploy initial controls quickly if needed, where persistent safety or access problems occur. These controls would not be deployed pre-emptively at every site; they would be used strictly in response to evidenced issues only.\"\n\n###\n\n\n\n\n###\n\n\n\n\n###\n\n\n\n\nThe rules mean no-waiting rules will only be introduced where there is clear evidence of a problem, rather than being enforced across all 116 roads immediately.\n\nOfficials are particularly worried about cars being left in unsafe positions, such as blocking junction views or narrowing already tight roads through the forest.\n\nThe council added that the order \"applies only to issues in relation to the public highway\" and does not cover verges or surrounding land.\n\nThis has raised concerns from groups, including the New Forest Association, which has previously warned drivers could instead park on grass verges. There are fears this could damage the landscape and create new safety issues.\n\n### LATEST DEVELOPMENTS\n\n\n\n\n * British company confirms latest steps to challenge Uber with 'truly national' taxi network\n * UK drivers issued urgent petrol station warning as diesel is 'only 9p away from record high'\n * M5 chaos: Drivers face 12mph traffic as 600-tonne 'abnormal load' impacts travel for thousands\n\n\n\n###\n\n\n\n\n###\n\n\n\n\n###\n\n\n\n\nDespite the scale of the scheme, enforcement is expected to be limited. The council has indicated the restrictions will not be actively enforced unless problems arise.\n\nThe wider changes are being driven by new parking charges from Forestry England, which manages many of the forest's car parks.\n\nThe organisation said the fees are needed due to rising costs. It previously said the charges are necessary because of \"the increasing cost of repairing car parks and conserving the forest\".\n\nUnder the plans, parking will cost £1.50 for an hour, rising to £8 for more than four hours. Members, who pay £96 a year, will still be able to park for free.\n\nBut the introduction of charges has sparked concern that visitors will look for free alternatives by parking on nearby roads.\n\n###\n\n\n\n\n###\n\n\n\n\n###\n\n\n\n\nThat risk appears to have prompted the council's action. In its official notice, the council warned there is a \"likelihood of danger to the public\" if roadside parking increases.\n\nIt said vehicles stopping along roads could end up \"obstructing visual splays or obstructing passage along the highway\".\n\nThe changes mean parked cars could block visibility or make it harder for traffic to pass safely. Drivers are now being urged to check signage carefully, as restrictions are introduced in affected areas. The council said any no-waiting zones will be clearly marked and only used where needed.\n\nBut with both restrictions and charges now coming into force, motorists across the New Forest are likely to face increasing pressure on where they can park.\n\n###\n\n\n\n\n\n\n\n\n\n\n**Our Standards: The GB News Editorial Charter**",
"title": "Drivers face major parking clampdown as new ban begins impacting hundreds of roads"
}