{
"$type": "site.standard.document",
"bskyPostRef": {
"cid": "bafyreid7hsist6hk6t7cjukfnzpfgq6ps7axlyhynaxgfzucrmp32bu2pe",
"uri": "at://did:plc:oznbnvgr7dmvddiyvr7dih52/app.bsky.feed.post/3mistkhwotsm2"
},
"coverImage": {
"$type": "blob",
"ref": {
"$link": "bafkreig2cw24ty3in2sc2homjbhe46qkmzkhq6cuawmzsdpab3yzr2dhni"
},
"mimeType": "image/jpeg",
"size": 83634
},
"path": "/news/spain-news-seven-people-injured-benidorm-hotel-tourists",
"publishedAt": "2026-04-06T06:33:06.000Z",
"site": "https://www.gbnews.com",
"tags": [
"EU 'punishing' Britain for Brexit with travel chaos and four-hour passport queues, Ryanair boss says",
"Marmalade to be rebranded in post-Brexit food deal as Britain to adopt EU rules",
"British holiday hotspot cloaked by Saharan dust cloud as deadly storms hit island",
"The GB News Editorial Charter"
],
"textContent": "\n\n\nAt least seven people have been injured in Benidorm after a hotel's roof caved in on terrified tourists.\n\nSixty guests who were dining at Poseidón Palace suddenly found the ceiling fell on them, with plasterboard and air conditioning ducts crashing down.\n\n###\n\n\n\n\nAn eight-year-old-girl and 78 year-old-man were taken to hospital, but was discharged after receiving medical attention.\n\nThe emergency services arrived at the hotel at roughly 2.20pm, including a Basic Life Support (BLS) and Advanced Life Support (ALS) ambulances.\n\n###\n\n\n\n\nTRENDING\n\nStories\n\nVideos\n\nYour Say\n\n###\n\n\n\n\nWhen they arrived, the roof in the main restaurant had completely collapsed.\n\nFive men and two women were treated for contusions, whilst a further five (aged between 33 to 80) were hospitalised, the Sun reports.\n\nOne person still remains in the Hospital de la Marina Baixa, being monitored by medial professionals.\n\nWhilst the nationality of those who were injured in the incident has not be revealed, they are understood to be tourists.\n\n###\n\n\n\n\n###\n\n\n\n\n###\n\n\n\n\nPere Joan Devas, general manager of Poseidon Hotels, described the moment the ceiling came down as a complete shock, while the cause of the incident at the three-star property remains under investigation.\n\nBenidorm City Council confirmed a municipal architect had been dispatched to the scene to assess the extent of the damage and establish what triggered the collapse.\n\nIt is not the first time a structural incident has struck a hotel in the resort.\n\nIn 2025, part of the entrance roof at the landmark Gran Bali hotel crumbled onto the pavement outside - narrowly avoiding casualties and prompting swift repair work.\n\n### LATEST DEVELOPMENTS\n\n\n\n\n * EU 'punishing' Britain for Brexit with travel chaos and four-hour passport queues, Ryanair boss says\n * Marmalade to be rebranded in post-Brexit food deal as Britain to adopt EU rules\n * British holiday hotspot cloaked by Saharan dust cloud as deadly storms hit island\n\n\n\n###\n\n\n\n\n###\n\n\n\n\nA year earlier, in 2023, another hotel in the Rincon de Loix area suffered a partial collapse during construction, pushing back its planned reopening.\n\nBenidorm remains one of the most popular destinations for British holidaymakers in Spain, attracting around 900,000 UK visitors each year.\n\nThis comes after a British mother died while on holiday in Benidorm last week, in a tragedy that has left her family devastated.\n\nRachel Kay, a 37-year-old mother of two from Preston, had travelled to the Spanish hot spot with friends when she was found unresponsive at her accommodation on the morning of March 29.\n\n###\n\n\n\n\n###\n\n\n\n\nThe cause of her death has not yet been established and her family say their world has been completely shattered by the loss.\n\nRachel, who was well known in Preston where she had worked behind the bar of several local pubs, leaves behind two young children, a partner, and a twin brother.\n\nHer sister Denise launched a GoFundMe campaign to raise the funds needed to bring Rachel home, with nearly £13,000 donated by almost 450 people towards a £20,000 target at the time of writing.\n\nDenise described the loss as unbearable, saying the family's only wish was to bring Rachel home so she could be surrounded by loved ones and given the farewell she deserved.\n\n###\n\n\n\n\n###\n\n\n\n\nTheir father Mick said he had been overwhelmed by the outpouring of support from the local community, writing on Facebook that he had never known anything like it.\n\nFriends and neighbours across Preston have rallied around the family, with tributes describing Rachel as a \"beautiful angel\" who was deeply loved by all who knew her.\n\nOne close friend said the entire city of Preston was pulling together to bring her home, adding that Rachel \"would be so proud\" of the community's response.\n\nBenidorm remains one of the most visited destinations for UK holidaymakers, welcoming around 900,000 visitors from Britain every year.\n\n###\n\n\n\n\n\n\n\n\n\n\n**Our Standards: The GB News Editorial Charter**",
"title": "At least seven people injured after Benidorm hotel roof caves in on terrified tourists"
}