{
"$type": "site.standard.document",
"bskyPostRef": {
"cid": "bafyreicc5dwwesji2swe74zxg27occ6dgy233s7zfssfguplgsnj3c3xlq",
"uri": "at://did:plc:oznbnvgr7dmvddiyvr7dih52/app.bsky.feed.post/3miqx6rszygn2"
},
"coverImage": {
"$type": "blob",
"ref": {
"$link": "bafkreia6nfrluavabzgjgqwjvhi3zptkby2vt4tpsddddp7ygeiqhblzdm"
},
"mimeType": "image/jpeg",
"size": 72396
},
"path": "/news/milton-keynes-youths-link-up-mob-clapham",
"publishedAt": "2026-04-05T13:38:08.000Z",
"site": "https://www.gbnews.com",
"tags": [
"Waitrose worker of 17 years sacked after stopping shoplifter from stealing Easter eggs",
"Shoplifting crime wave to hit shops as 'tax the rich' activists plan 'blatant and despicable' thefts",
"Ed Miliband staring down Labour rebellion on North Sea oil as energy prices soar",
"The GB News Editorial Charter"
],
"textContent": "\n\n\nPolice issued a dispersal order after hundreds of balaclava-clad and hooded youths descended on Milton Keynes in a mob-like “easter egg hunt”.\n\nOfficers clashed with the yougsters after receiving reports of a significant gathering forming in Campbell Park, which had been widely promoted on social media.\n\n\n###\n\n\n\n\nAuthorities authorised the dispersal order at 7.26pm, granting police powers to move people on and prevent any escalation of the situation.\n\nPolice initially engaged with event organisers and monitored proceedings, which began peacefully.\n\n###\n\n\n\n\nTRENDING\n\nStories\n\nVideos\n\nYour Say\n\n###\n\n\n\n\nHowever, as attendance swelled throughout the afternoon, the atmosphere shifted, and the crowd’s behaviour deteriorated.\n\nA small number of people were briefly detained by officers to prevent further trouble.\n\nOne individual was taken into custody but was subsequently released.\n\nFootage shared on social media captured officers in a standoff with a substantial group of young people wearing tracksuits and balaclavas outside Midsummer Place shopping centre.\n\n###\n\n\n\n\n###\n\n\n\n\n###\n\n\n\n\nThe clips show teenagers fleeing from police, with one officer pushing back a youth who appeared to be attempting to intimidate them.\n\nAnother depicted a girl grappling with officers, while separate footage shows a young person being brought to the ground by police as colleagues urged the crowd to move back amid the sound of sirens.\n\nFollowing the ugly scenes, a spokesman for Thames Valley police said: “A small number of individuals were briefly detained to prevent further disturbance taking place.\n\n“One person was arrested but then de-arrested.\n\n“We understand that large gatherings in public spaces can cause concern, especially when they appear to grow spontaneously, and when videos circulate online.\n\n\n### LATEST DEVELOPMENTS:\n\n\n\n\n * Waitrose worker of 17 years sacked after stopping shoplifter from stealing Easter eggs\n * Shoplifting crime wave to hit shops as 'tax the rich' activists plan 'blatant and despicable' thefts\n * Ed Miliband staring down Labour rebellion on North Sea oil as energy prices soar\n\n\n\n###\n\n\n\n\n###\n\n\n\n\n###\n\n\n\n\n“Decisions were taken to protect the wider community, those taking part, and our officers; all powers were used proportionately for public safety.”\n\nThe Milton Keynes disorder follows a pattern of similar teenage disturbances that erupted across England last week.\n\nIn Clapham, hundreds of young people descended on the area on March 28 and 31 March after arranging meetups on social media, with participants looting shops, setting fires and assaulting police officers.\n\nPeter Bleksley, a former police and crime expert and former Scotland Yard detective, told GB News that the spread of the so-called “link-ups” was an “all-too-predictable contagion”.\n\n\n###\n\n\n\n\n###\n\n\n\n\n###\n\n\n\n\n“This is what happens when policing is not robust enough, and when there simply aren’t sufficient and strong enough deterrents.\n\n“Shoplifting, knife crime, phone thefts and this current wave of lawlessness can all be traced back to the day the police stopped patrolling the streets, and became a society breakdown service, only answering 999 calls, and otherwise not being present in the streets,” he despaired.\n\nIn light of events, another former Metropolitan Police officer has urged retailers to equip security guards with batons and tasers to tackle what he describes as an epidemic of shoplifting across Britain.\n\n\nBacking calls from Iceland boss Lord Walker of Broxton, Norman Brennan told The People's Channel: “It's absolutely a good idea that security guards should be armed in some way, and it's right and far beyond time that the retail industry is actually speaking out.”\n\n###\n\n\n\n\n###\n\n\n\n\nMr Brennan emphasised that arming security staff had become necessary because shoplifters were increasingly violent, moving beyond theft to physically attacking retail workers.\n\nAccording to Mr Brennan, approximately 1,300 retail staff members face assault or abuse every single day across the industry.\n\n“Some 1,300 shop staff in the retail industry a day are assaulted or abused, so I believe that they should be licenced after they've trained and be given the power to use the tools that they have,” he stated.\n\nThe former officer called for trained security personnel to receive powers comparable to special constables, whilst insisting that police forces must respond to every reported shoplifting incident.\n\n###\n\n\n\n\n**\n**\n\n**\n**\n\n**Our Standards: The GB News Editorial Charter**",
"title": "Hundreds of balaclava-clad youths descend on Milton Keynes in echo of Clapham chaos"
}