{
  "$type": "site.standard.document",
  "bskyPostRef": {
    "cid": "bafyreicjx2x7euraaal6hebdvxuzpo7fu4six2m4hspttwbvtsrw6x54wi",
    "uri": "at://did:plc:oznbnvgr7dmvddiyvr7dih52/app.bsky.feed.post/3mikunkm5uqe2"
  },
  "coverImage": {
    "$type": "blob",
    "ref": {
      "$link": "bafkreibuefxq3kzxm2hjsaivtyyylpx3fqjxxxk622cvgt2chaim2yeqnu"
    },
    "mimeType": "image/jpeg",
    "size": 80055
  },
  "path": "/news/northamptonshire-news-convicted-killer-boiling-wanter-prison-officer",
  "publishedAt": "2026-04-03T04:08:28.000Z",
  "site": "https://www.gbnews.com",
  "tags": [
    "Woman jailed after stealing more than 300 boxes of Cadbury’s creme eggs",
    "Bangladeshi migrant sentenced to secure hospital detention after attempting to kidnap two children",
    "GB News hears from mother about devastating stabbing attack as data shows 54% knife crime surge",
    "The GB News Editorial Charter"
  ],
  "textContent": "\n\n\nA convicted killer already serving an indefinite sentence has been handed an additional 11 years after launching a brutal attack on a prison officer.\n\nBenjamin Scott, 46, threw boiling water into the officer’s face before repeatedly striking him with a kettle at HMP Onley in Northamptonshire in December 2024.\n\n###\n\n\n\n\nThe victim suffered second-degree burns to the left side of his face and an ocular burn to his eye.\n\nDespite his injuries, the officer helped colleagues restrain Scott.\n\n###\n\n\n\n\nTRENDING\n\nStories\n\nVideos\n\nYour Say\n\nHe was taken to University Coventry Hospital and underwent months of specialist treatment in an attempt to preserve his sight.\n\nScott later told police the attack was not personal, claiming he wanted to be moved from the prison due to concerns about his deteriorating mental health.\n\nHe admitted one count of wounding with intent at Northampton Crown Court and was sentenced on March 20.\n\nThe extended sentence includes six years in custody and five years on licence, to be served on top of his existing term.\n\n###\n\n\n\n\n###\n\n\n\n\nScott, from Sheffield, was already serving an indefinite sentence for the 2011 killing of Gary Beech, a 44-year-old grandfather.\n\nMr Beech was stabbed more than 120 times at his home, with many injuries to his head and eyes.\n\nScott had admitted manslaughter on the grounds of diminished responsibility and was given a minimum term of 15 years in 2012.\n\nHe has also previously admitted attacking another prisoner while on remand.\n\n### CRIME - READ THE LATEST:\n\n\n\n\n  * Woman jailed after stealing more than 300 boxes of Cadbury’s creme eggs\n  * Bangladeshi migrant sentenced to secure hospital detention after attempting to kidnap two children\n  * GB News hears from mother about devastating stabbing attack as data shows 54% knife crime surge\n\n\n\n###\n\n\n\n\n###\n\n\n\n\nDetective Constable Jamie Yates said: \"This was a particularly violent, unprovoked attack by Benjamin Scott who wanted to orchestrate a move from the prison.\n\n\"Such violence has no place in our society and that includes within the prison establishment, where prison officers should be able to feel safe to perform their duties without fear for their personal safety.\"\n\nHe added: \"The prison officer in this case acted bravely and professionally throughout considering the seriousness of his assault and I must praise him for this.\n\n\"We are pleased with the significant extended sentence imposed by the courts, as it not only reflects the severity and seriousness of the offence committed by Scott but recognises the danger that he presents to others.\"\n\n###\n\n\n\n\n###\n\n\n\n\nAttacks on prison officers surged to record levels last year, according to Ministry of Justice (MoJ) figures.\n\nThere were 10,568 assaults on staff in the 12 months to March 2025 - up 7 per cent on the previous year.\n\nThe rate of assaults per 1,000 prisoners also rose by 7 per cent, while serious assaults increased by 6 per cent.\n\nAt the time, a MoJ spokesman said: “The Government has made it clear it will do whatever we can to protect our hardworking staff – which is why we are trialling tasers in prisons and mandated protective body armour.\n\n“We’re also reforming our jails so they create better citizens, not better criminals.”\n\n###\n\n\n\n\n**Our Standards: The GB News Editorial Charter**",
  "title": "Convicted killer who threw boiling water at prison officer handed 11-year extended sentence"
}