{
  "$type": "site.standard.document",
  "bskyPostRef": {
    "cid": "bafyreibrgozxzwe56u7hnh5lkn574iqrcfdumd2bs5lje6mfxrxbo7iri4",
    "uri": "at://did:plc:oznbnvgr7dmvddiyvr7dih52/app.bsky.feed.post/3mijfporjy6d2"
  },
  "coverImage": {
    "$type": "blob",
    "ref": {
      "$link": "bafkreihhiquld6a2ct57jllptnmhei6z6473blzbe32k54ez4ztswf4y7m"
    },
    "mimeType": "image/jpeg",
    "size": 52650
  },
  "path": "/celebrity/bbc-scott-mills-replacement-fired-sacked-race-across-the-world-tyler-west",
  "publishedAt": "2026-04-02T13:55:05.000Z",
  "site": "https://www.gbnews.com",
  "tags": [
    "axing",
    "BBC News",
    "statement",
    "Ben Leo blasts news reporter over ‘all white men’ complaint ahead of Nasa Artemis II launch",
    "Alex Armstrong issues blistering response as Labour peer accused of mocking grooming gang inquiry",
    "Christopher Hope delivers brilliant response after Keir Starmer snubs GB News star for TikToker",
    "spoken publicly",
    "The GB News Editorial Charter"
  ],
  "textContent": "\n\n\nThe BBC has named the new presenter of Race Across The World: The Detour, stepping in for Scott Mills just hours before the companion podcast debuts this evening.\n\nThe broadcaster was forced to act quickly after Mr Mills was removed from all BBC projects following his sudden axing from the corporation last week.\n\n###\n\n\n\n\nMr Mills' departure from the BBC has been by linked by The Mirror to a 2016 police investigation into allegations of serious sexual offences against a teenage boy, with the alleged incidents dating back to between 1997 and 2000.\n\nThe case was closed approximately seven years ago after the Crown Prosecution Service determined there was insufficient evidence to bring charges.\n\n###\n\n\n\n\nTRENDING\n\nStories\n\nVideos\n\nYour Say\n\n###\n\n\n\n\nThe DJ was removed from the air six days after presenting his final Radio 2 breakfast show, a role he had taken over from Zoe Ball in 2025.\n\nHis annual BBC salary stood between £355,000 and £359,999.\n\nThe broadcaster had been aware of the investigation as far back as 2017, but it is understood, and reported by BBC News, that current management only recently became aware of the alleged victim's age.\n\nMr Mills was officially sacked on issues related to \"personal conduct.\"\n\n###\n\n\n\n\n###\n\n\n\n\n###\n\n\n\n\nIn a statement released on Wednesday, the BBC said it had obtained new information in recent weeks which led to the termination of Mr Mills’ contract last Friday.\n\nA BBC spokesperson said: \"Scott Mills had a long career across the BBC, he was hugely popular, and we know the news this week has come as a shock and surprise to many.\n\n\"We also recognise there's been much speculation in the media and online since Monday.\n\n\"We hope people understand that there is a limit to what we can say because we have to be mindful of the rights of those involved.\n\n### LATEST DEVELOPMENTS\n\n\n\n\n  * Ben Leo blasts news reporter over ‘all white men’ complaint ahead of Nasa Artemis II launch\n  * Alex Armstrong issues blistering response as Labour peer accused of mocking grooming gang inquiry\n  * Christopher Hope delivers brilliant response after Keir Starmer snubs GB News star for TikToker\n\n\n\n###\n\n\n\n\n###\n\n\n\n\n\"What we can confirm is that in recent weeks, we obtained new information relating to Scott, and we spoke directly with him.\n\n\"As a result, the BBC acted decisively in line with our culture and values and terminated his contracts on Friday, March 27.\n\n\"The BBC has made a significant commitment to improve its culture, processes and standards.\n\n\"Last year, following an independent culture review, we set out the behavioural expectations for everyone who works with or for the BBC and we were clear action would be taken if these were not met.“\n\n###\n\n\n\n\n###\n\n\n\n\n\"Separately, we can confirm the BBC was made aware in 2018 of the existence of an ongoing police investigation, which was subsequently closed in 2019 with no arrest or charge being made.\n\n\"We are doing more work to understand the detail of what was known by the BBC at this time.”\n\nTyler West was announced as the new presenter of Race Across The World: The Detour on Thursday.\n\nThe 30-year-old television presenter and DJ will front the weekly video podcast alongside series four contestant Alfie Watts, who will contribute travel tips and hacks throughout each episode.\n\n###\n\n\n\n\n###\n\n\n\n\nTonight's debut episode features guests Kola Bokinni and Molly Rainford, with Yinka Bokinni appearing in a bonus episode.\n\nMr West competed in last year's Celebrity Race Across The World alongside his fiancée, Molly Rainford, a former EastEnders actress.\n\nBritish audiences will also recognise him from his 2022 appearance on Strictly Come Dancing, where he partnered with professional dancer Dianne Buswell.\n\nThe weekly vodcast will chronicle the highs and lows of the new series, welcoming creators, comedians and celebrity fans to share their perspectives.\n\n###\n\n\n\n\nMr Mills himself had won the second celebrity edition of the programme in 2024 alongside his now-husband Sam Vaughan.\n\nThe former DJ has spoken publicly for the first time since his departure from the BBC, saying he had “fully cooperated and responded” to the investigation when it took place.\n\nIn his first public statement on Wednesday, Mr Mills said: “The recent announcement that I am no longer contracted to the BBC has led to the publication of rumour and speculation. In response to this, the Metropolitan Police has made a statement, which I confirm relates to me.\n\n\"An allegation was made against me in 2016 of a historic sexual offence which was the subject of a police investigation in which I fully cooperated and responded to in 2018.\n\n\"Since the investigation related to an allegation that dates back nearly 30 years and the police investigation was closed seven years ago, I hope that the public and the media will understand and respect my wish not to make any further public comment on this matter.\n\n\"I wish to thank from the bottom of my heart all those who have reached out to me with kindness, my former colleagues, and my beloved listeners, who I greatly miss.”\n\n###\n\n\n\n\n\n\n\n\n\n\n**Our Standards: The GB News Editorial Charter**",
  "title": "BBC confirms Scott Mills' replacement on upcoming television project following axe"
}