{
  "$type": "site.standard.document",
  "bskyPostRef": {
    "cid": "bafyreibh3jenhzobydjot76jbvcxs6wnxjwqyguzbbgdj3p5xginqjwgni",
    "uri": "at://did:plc:oznbnvgr7dmvddiyvr7dih52/app.bsky.feed.post/3mi6ix42bhwr2"
  },
  "coverImage": {
    "$type": "blob",
    "ref": {
      "$link": "bafkreief5zkbevwrmfzbtycyrelhhuayrdjas6jwjx5e77inzpxaknbbyq"
    },
    "mimeType": "image/jpeg",
    "size": 82679
  },
  "path": "/news/migrant-crisis-britain-france-beach-patrol-migrant-centre",
  "publishedAt": "2026-03-29T04:45:40.000Z",
  "site": "https://www.gbnews.com",
  "tags": [
    "Ms Mahmood is said to favour a model",
    "Donald Trump's ex-Border Patrol chief reveals how Britain's migrant crisis can FINALLY be solved",
    "Two small boat migrants wanted for gang rape in Denmark allowed to claim benefits in Britain",
    "Plans to convert university student flats into asylum seeker hostel BLOCKED by council",
    "nearly 1,000 migrants crossed the Channel",
    "The GB News Editorial Charter"
  ],
  "textContent": "\n\n\nBritain is set to hand over £450 million to France to fund more beach patrols and a new migrant centre.\n\nThe UK and France's current £475 million border patrol agreement, originally signed by former Prime Minister Rishi Sunak, is set to expire on Tuesday unless a new deal is agreed.\n\n###\n\n\n\n\nOfficials from both sides of the Channel met in Paris last week to renegotiate the agreement.\n\nThe original deal included a new detention centre to be built in Dunkirk, France, in addition to more French beach patrols and the use of enhanced technology to prevent crossings.\n\n###\n\n\n\n\nTRENDING\n\nStories\n\nVideos\n\nYour Say\n\nThe detention centre, originally intended to become fully operational this year, has been delayed by planning issues.\n\nHome Secretary Shabana Mahmood is said to be determined to force France to finish the detention centre before any further negotiations can continue.\n\nThe Home Office last year offered to extend the existing deal until 2027, conditional on the completion of the construction of this facility.\n\nDowning Street agreed to help fund the centre with the hopes that French authorities would use it to detain and remove migrants attempting to cross the Channel from France's shores.\n\n###\n\n\n\n\n###\n\n\n\n\nMs Mahmood is said to favour a model where Britain would only pay France in proportion to successful interceptions made by France's migrant patrols.\n\n****French authorities currently intercept around 37 per cent of attempted crossings - down from more than 50 per cent in 2023 when the deal, worth nearly £500million, was agreed.\n\n\nReform UK's spokesman for Home Affairs, Zia Yusuf, said on social media that his party would \"demand a full refund\".\n\nHe said: \"Tory and Labour governments have paid £700 million so far, and the boats keep coming in record numbers.\n\n### LATEST ON THE MIGRANT CRISIS:\n\n\n\n\n  * Donald Trump's ex-Border Patrol chief reveals how Britain's migrant crisis can FINALLY be solved\n  * Two small boat migrants wanted for gang rape in Denmark allowed to claim benefits in Britain\n  * Plans to convert university student flats into asylum seeker hostel BLOCKED by council\n\n\n\n###\n\n\n\n\n###\n\n\n\n\n\"The French are laughing at us.\n\n\"Reform would scrap the deal and demand a full refund from the French.\"\n\nGB News revealed earlier this week that nearly 1,000 migrants crossed the Channel in just six days, taking advantage of improved weather conditions.\n\nThe British taxpayer currently contributes the majority of border patrol funding.\n\n###\n\n\n\n\n###\n\n\n\n\n###\n\n\n\n\nFigures released by the French Government earlier this month revealed the UK provided 62 per cent of the total cost to France of patrolling the northern coast for illegal migrants.\n\nThis means that £155 million was covered by British taxpayers of the £250 million available.\n\nLast week, a spokesman for the Prime Minister said: \"I won’t get ahead of the negotiations but we are looking at how we can build flexibility and innovation into any new deal with the French to ensure that there is long-term value for money and a real impact on small boat crossings.\"\n\nHe added there was no single \"silver bullet\" to deal with illegal migration, and the deal was just \"one tool in our armory\".\n\nThe Home Office said: \"France is our most important migration partner and together our joint work is bearing down on small boat crossings.\n\n\"We have prevented over 40,000 crossing attempts by illegal migrants since this government took office. Our landmark deal means illegal migrants who arrive on small boats are being sent back to France.\"\n\n###\n\n\n\n\n\n\n\n\n\n\n**Our Standards: The GB News Editorial Charter**",
  "title": "Britain set to hand over £450 MILLION to France for more beach patrols and new migrant centre"
}