{
"$type": "site.standard.document",
"bskyPostRef": {
"cid": "bafyreidzbh5pptm3oxrtj6o2kygg652j2k7skyvl76vkimjn377xspr4ta",
"uri": "at://did:plc:oznbnvgr7dmvddiyvr7dih52/app.bsky.feed.post/3mi5ap6gvm4d2"
},
"coverImage": {
"$type": "blob",
"ref": {
"$link": "bafkreib4b77zfjyeqhjdsyqou3aa3zaaktythe5ufctt5r3d7rs27xdjpy"
},
"mimeType": "image/jpeg",
"size": 64822
},
"path": "/sport/football/afcon-senegal-trophy-parade-morocco",
"publishedAt": "2026-03-28T17:37:44.000Z",
"site": "https://www.gbnews.com",
"tags": [
"EFL stadium to host blockbuster boxing clash as 'David vs Goliath' fight announced",
"England football's biggest villains as Ben White becomes latest player to face fan fury",
"David Beckham suggests Thomas Tuchel U-turn after England draw with Uruguay",
"The GB News Editorial Charter"
],
"textContent": "\n\n\nSenegal staged a bold act of defiance at the Stade de France on Saturday, parading the Africa Cup of Nations trophy before their friendly against Peru, despite being officially stripped of the title.\n\nCaptain Kalidou Koulibaly led his teammates onto the pitch carrying the silverware for a lap of honour in front of 70,000 supporters before he and the goalkeeper Edouard Mendy then ascended to the presidential box to display the trophy.\n\n###\n\n\n\n\nThe West African nation maintains it remains the champion following CAF's decision earlier this month to overturn January's final result and award Morocco a 3-0 victory.\n\nSenegal has taken their case to the Court of Arbitration for Sport.\n\n###\n\n\n\n\nTRENDING\n\nStories\n\nVideos\n\nYour Say\n\n###\n\n\n\n\nThe dramatic final in Rabat on January 18 descended into chaos during stoppage time.\n\nWith the score level at 0-0, Senegalese players abandoned the pitch in protest after the referee awarded the hosts a penalty in the 98th minute.\n\nApproximately 17 minutes of turmoil followed, with Senegal supporters attempting to storm the field.\n\nFormer Liverpool star Sadio Mane eventually persuaded his teammates to resume play.\n\n###\n\n\n\n\n###\n\n\n\n\n###\n\n\n\n\nUpon their return, Real Madrid's Brahim Diaz stepped up to take the spot-kick but saw his effort saved by Mendy.\n\nThe match progressed to extra time, where Pape Gueye struck the decisive goal to secure what Senegal believed was their second continental crown in five years.\n\nCAF's appeal board delivered an unprecedented verdict 58 days after the final took place.\n\nThe governing body ruled that Senegal had forfeited the match, declaring Morocco's appeal both admissible and upheld.\n\n### LATEST SPORT NEWS:\n\n\n\n\n * EFL stadium to host blockbuster boxing clash as 'David vs Goliath' fight announced\n * England football's biggest villains as Ben White becomes latest player to face fan fury\n * David Beckham suggests Thomas Tuchel U-turn after England draw with Uruguay\n\n\n\n###\n\n\n\n\n###\n\n\n\n\n###\n\n\n\n\nA CAF spokesman confirmed the decision.\n\nIt said that \"the Senegal National Team is declared to have forfeited the Final\".\n\nThe ruling centred on Senegal's conduct during the dramatic walkout, which CAF determined had breached Article 82 of its regulations.\n\nAs a consequence, Morocco were handed a 3-0 victory and crowned continental champions, despite never having scored during the actual match in Rabat.\n\n###\n\n\n\n\n###\n\n\n\n\n###\n\n\n\n\nEverton midfielder Idrissa Gueye has been vocal in his condemnation of the ruling.\n\nHe said: \"I think this decision is just ridiculous. We won the game on the pitch not in offices and as a Senegalese player I'm just proud of what we did.\n\n\"We deserve this trophy. We fight on the pitch and everyone knows what happened and I think if you play 10 times this game we would win it 10 times.\"\n\nCAS director general Matthieu Reeb has pledged that arbitration proceedings will be conducted \"as swiftly as possible\" while ensuring all parties receive a fair hearing.\n\nSaturday's fixture marks Senegal's first outing since the controversial final as they prepare for June's World Cup, where they face France, Norway and either Bolivia or Iraq.\n\n###\n\n\n\n\n**\n**\n\n**\n**\n\n**Our Standards: The GB News Editorial Charter**",
"title": "Senegal team holds Afcon trophy parade days after being controversially stripped of title"
}