{
"$type": "site.standard.document",
"bskyPostRef": {
"cid": "bafyreiej52ybs7lpminysih7xrd6rilsimvq3wkxbixifbv3b6776pqozy",
"uri": "at://did:plc:oznbnvgr7dmvddiyvr7dih52/app.bsky.feed.post/3mhquyrtdvtu2"
},
"coverImage": {
"$type": "blob",
"ref": {
"$link": "bafkreibeav72acayxgir5ja2acdta2lyjdtyhvx4oced4fkbuqjprbwyym"
},
"mimeType": "image/jpeg",
"size": 73791
},
"path": "/news/iran-war-hms-dragon-cyprus-iranian-drone-strike",
"publishedAt": "2026-03-23T20:14:40.000Z",
"site": "https://www.gbnews.com",
"tags": [
"Donald Trump proposes running Strait of Hormuz jointly with Ayatollah after calling off strikes",
"Keir Starmer to hold emergency Cobra meeting after Iran threatens UK with chilling warning",
"Donald Trump starts countdown for America to 'obliterate' Iran's power plants in major ultimatum",
"only reached Gibraltar on March 17",
"The GB News Editorial Charter"
],
"textContent": "\n\n\nHMS Dragon has finally arrived in the eastern Mediterranean to defend Cyprus three weeks after it was subject to an Iranian drone strike.\n\nSpeaking to the Commons, Defence Secretary John Healey confirmed that the Type 45 air defence destroyer had arrived at the Cypriot coast.\n\n###\n\n\n\n\nHe said: \"I can confirm that HMS Dragon has arrived in the eastern Mediterranean and tonight, begins operational integration into Cyprus's defence, alongside allies.”\n\nThis comes three weeks after the vessel’s deployment\n\n###\n\n\n\n\nTRENDING\n\nStories\n\nVideos\n\nYour Say\n\n###\n\n\n\n\nSir Keir Starmer announced HMS Dragon would be sent to Cyprus earlier this month, after RAF Akrotiri was subject to Iranian drone strikes.\n\nOn March 1, the British base in Cyprus was hit by an Iranian drone, with no casualties and little damage.\n\nThe next day, two further drones which were heading towards the base were intercepted.\n\nMr Healey continued in his address to the Commons, saying that the UK is continuing to track the threats to the UK, as well as its military bases.\n\n###\n\n\n\n\n###\n\n\n\n\n###\n\n\n\n\nHe said: “RAF and Navy pilots have now racked up nearly 900 flying hours in defence of Cyprus, Jordan, Bahrain, Qatar and the United Arab Emirates.\n\n“We have more jets in the region than at any time in the last 15 years.\n\n“There are an extra 500 air defence personnel in Cyprus, and as more military capabilities are committed to the eastern Mediterranean, we’re working closely with the Republic of Cyprus to coordinate the contribution of allies, including the US, France and Greece, to reinforce the security of Cyprus.\"\n\nHowever, HMS Dragon has lagged behind European allies, with France, Spain, Italy and the Netherlands all sending ships to the eastern Mediterranean whilst the vessel was docked at Portsmouth harbour.\n\n### LATEST DEVELOPMENTS\n\n\n\n\n * Donald Trump proposes running Strait of Hormuz jointly with Ayatollah after calling off strikes\n * Keir Starmer to hold emergency Cobra meeting after Iran threatens UK with chilling warning\n * Donald Trump starts countdown for America to 'obliterate' Iran's power plants in major ultimatum\n\n\n\n###\n\n\n\n\n###\n\n\n\n\nThe Type 45 destroyer loitered in the English Channel for three days after its departure from Portsmouth harbour on March 10.\n\nAfter continuing its long-awaited journey, reports came in that it had only reached Gibraltar on March 17 - moving a glacial pace.\n\nIn the meantime, France’s President Emmanuel Macron ordered the French vessel Languedoc to Cypriot waters, to support its anti-drone and missile defences, which arrived at its destination on March 5.\n\nHe also ordered the aircraft carrier, the Charles de Gaulle, to Cyprus in order to provide military support to the country.\n\n###\n\n\n\n\n###\n\n\n\n\nOn the same day, as the French vessel's arrival, Spain said it would send its most advanced warship, the Cristóbal Colón frigate, to the eastern Mediterranean to support Cyprus.\n\nAn Italian frigate, the Federico Martinego, with 160-strong crew, entered Cypriot waters on March 11.\n\nOn March 13, the Dutch air defence frigate, HNLMS Evertsen, began its operations in Cypriot maritime waters.\n\nShadow Defence Secretary James Cartlidge, also speaking in the Commons on Monday afternoon accused the Government of “extraordinary double standards”, arguing the UK was “relying on the US to defend us whilst denying them the use of our bases”.\n\n###\n\n\n\n\n###\n\n\n\n\nHe also questioned whether the Defence Secretary regretted not deploying HMS Dragon “much, much sooner” and pressed for clarity on when the defence investment plan would be published.\n\nIn response, Mr Healey said the Government had been “blunt” and “open” about the threat posed by Iran, but did not confirm when the plan would be released.\n\nMr Healey also told MPs that “two Iranian missiles were launched in the direction of Diego Garcia” - the US-UK military base in the Chagos Islands.\n\nHe said: “One fell short of its target, the other was brought down short of its target.\n\n“Neither got close to Diego Garcia.\n\n“The UK was not required to take action and normal operations continue.\n\n“I totally condemn Iran’s reckless attacks.\n\n“Iran must stop – it must de-escalate.\n\n“We want to see this war end now.”\n\n###\n\n\n\n\n\n\n\n\n\n\n**Our Standards: The GB News Editorial Charter**",
"title": "HMS Dragon FINALLY arrives to defend Cyprus three weeks after Iranian drone strike"
}